Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#318272 - 18/01/2009 05:15 Transcode AVCHD to DVD?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
My in-laws have got a shiny new Panasonic HDC-SD9, which records video in AVCHD. Unfortunately, their computer isn't powerful enough to do anything with the files, so I'm looking for a way to transcode the files to a format suitable for burning to DVD-Video.

The files play back fine in VLC, but when I try to use mencoder (a relatively new Win32 build), the audio and video get out of sync, and it gives up.

What's the easiest way to do this? I figured that maybe "transcode" might be able to do it, but the command-line syntax for that is arcane, to say the least. mencoder's not much better, so it's possible that I've just not got the right incantation.

#318278 - 18/01/2009 06:04 Re: Transcode AVCHD to DVD? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
VLC has a transcode feature in the GUI, at least for MacOS. (File->Streaming/Exporting Wizard) You might want to give that a shot.

#318279 - 18/01/2009 11:11 Re: Transcode AVCHD to DVD? [Re: wfaulk]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
You may want to also look at Quicktime Pro, that seems to do a good job of handling the AVCHD from my Panasonic. That is on the Macbook of course.

Cheers

Cris.