Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#318569 - 29/01/2009 01:03 Re: Laptop Screen Resolution [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: gbeer
I find when reading various web blogs/bbs's and such, that using the down cursor (repeat mode) results in the screen scrolling with a discreet jumping motion. I find that very annoying after a while.

Discrete?

That's "smooth scrolling", one of the first things I turn off in a new Windows installation: Internet control panel (of course! where else would it be?) → Advanced → Browsing → Use Smooth Scrolling.

#318570 - 29/01/2009 01:43 Re: Laptop Screen Resolution [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: gbeer
I find when reading various web blogs/bbs's and such, that using the down cursor (repeat mode) results in the screen scrolling with a discreet jumping motion. I find that very annoying after a while.

Discrete?

That's "smooth scrolling", one of the first things I turn off in a new Windows installation: Internet control panel (of course! where else would it be?) → Advanced → Browsing → Use Smooth Scrolling.

So, Smooth Scrolling, isn't, not really. How windows is that?

#318571 - 29/01/2009 02:46 Re: Laptop Screen Resolution [Re: sein]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sein
Huge icons on my desktop with tiny legends under them, badly scaled icons and it was a horrible mess.

In theory, Microsoft added some measure of resolution independence in Vista. I seem to recall that Apple is similarly working on resolution independence (which, given the NeXT-roots of the window system, shouldn't be as hard as it seems to be). Absent proper software support, though...

#318575 - 29/01/2009 05:49 Re: Laptop Screen Resolution [Re: mlord]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Originally Posted By: mlord
I love 1920x1200, but on a 17" display rather than 15". smile

I considered that, and it does sound like it could be a good screen. But I do use my laptop on my lap most of the time and it does get carried around between rooms at home all the time. I just think 17" is just a little bit big without a desk.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Absent proper software support, though...

A lot of applications ignore the DPI setting, including Google Chrome, my Accounting and Payroll programs. So I had bigger than normal Windows elements with normal small sized applications it was just not useful.

#318576 - 29/01/2009 06:49 Re: Laptop Screen Resolution [Re: sein]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Oh, about cleartype, there is this cleartype tuner: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/step1.aspx (needs IE)

And i find that cleartype is made for black on white text, it makes light text on a dark background worse.

Edit: For me the "BGR - very rare" in step 2 looks like you describe, if that one looks better on your screen then we've found the cause.

Edited by Schido (29/01/2009 06:54)
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2