Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#321103 - 06/04/2009 00:21 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The talk about signed releases for non-celebs made me take a step back and rethink. I'm very much opposed to corporate personhood, yet I've been unintentionally applying personhood rights to Google.

Although, I think I'm still of the opinion that if it's out in the open and doesn't depict people, it's public domain. But it is admittedly not so clear-cut now that I've removed Google's rights.

#321109 - 06/04/2009 03:08 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: hybrid8]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Same goes for quite a number of places in Canada, including the very popular CN Tower.

If the property appears as a small part within a larger photograph, it's usually exempt from such restrictions, such as a cityscape containing the property in question.

NSFW!

http://www.planetperplex.com/en/item349

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#321112 - 06/04/2009 06:59 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: JBjorgen]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen

In whose fantasy world does it work like that? You think that the tabloids compensate celebrities for the money they make off the pictures they publish? Do you think they should have to?

Either way...I don't know of any places that actually work like that, so you wouldn't actually be collecting anything.

I am not sure how it works in the US, but here in the UK if a paper prints something like that it has been through an editorial process and is deemed in the public's interest, in theory at least. This gives them a different set of rights to publish the pictures without a release. They can't just go posting pictures of people along with bogus stories without permission. Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my understanding.

When ever I take commercial pictures of a model I ask them to sign a model release so I can use the pictures, if no money has exchanged hands I just ask for verbal confirmation and then respect any requests at a later date. As my interests are not in the public's interest, they are for my gain.

Now look at why Google are doing StreetView, is it in the public interest? Or is it for commercial gain? Not very clear cut. From my point of view I don't think it's really in the public's interest at all, and it's all about Google getting people onto it's website and maintaining it's domination. I think StreetView pushes the current laws to a limit where we all need to think about our own privacy, after all the laws would have been written when such an idea didn't even exist, not even in concept.

Cheers

Cris.

#321113 - 06/04/2009 07:00 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Originally Posted By: andym
I'm actually on streetview here. I was actually quite happy to have found myself, so happy in fact that if there was an option to un-fuzz my face I would do it.

I'm not even going to ask how you found yourself on there smile

Cheers

Cris.

#321115 - 06/04/2009 12:18 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: andym
I'm actually on streetview here.

Very cool!

So how long did it take for your image to show up there after you saw the google-eyes drive by?

Cheers

#321116 - 06/04/2009 12:51 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: mlord]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I was walking to work late one morning and the car drove past. This was some time last year, probably late summer, so quite a while ago. As soon as I read Manchester was on I went and had a look at the places where I saw it. It also drove past me on another occasion a day or so later but it looks like they didn't use those photos.

Andy M

#321122 - 06/04/2009 14:44 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: mlord]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: mlord
Julf wouldn't be happy, though

Speaking of... I *am* happy that my garage door was shut when the Google van went past... smile

#321283 - 09/04/2009 13:33 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: julf]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I was behind the google-eyes for a few miles the other day, then got bored and decided to push the loud pedal. So I'm hoping to see if I appear somewhere between Oakbank and the Dalmahoy on the A71, ideally mid-boost smile
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#321420 - 14/04/2009 23:55 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I received this email today from my nervous nelly homeowners association:

Quote:
We have been contacted by several residents regarding "a suspicious character" being seen on Easter Sunday taking pictures of homes in Falls River. When confronted this person stated that he was gathering info for the 2010 National Census. We have been informed by Lt. Tim Tomczak of the Raleigh Police Department that the census information gathering session began April 6 - anyone who is legitimately involved in any part of the 2010 census project will have a proper identification card that they are required to present upon request. The census will take part in several sessions, the first of which is to verify homes and addresses.They should have official identification badges visible when working. Thank you neighbors for watching out for our neighborhood!

So you're clearly not the only people concerned about other people taking photos.

I still think it's ridiculous.

#321423 - 15/04/2009 07:01 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: wfaulk]
frog51
pooh-bah

A lot of my day job is spent trying to help people understand and prioritise risks (and by people I include airlines, banks, oil companies etc) and my biggest enemy is panic and excitement caused by the media. In general, risks around someone taking photos are so negligible as to be irrelevant (sure, for some sites this sin't true, but they are pretty easy to define) - 99.99..whatever percent of thieves simply don't care enough to take photos. Even if you are rich and live in an upmarket area. Very few people would warrant that sort of effort.

These folks should try being sensible about real risks and spend money on improving driver training or educational standards, or looking after the environment or anything which may actually make a difference.

Blimming news channels and newspapers hyping everything! Gah!!!!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#321424 - 15/04/2009 07:20 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: frog51]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: frog51
99.99..whatever percent of thieves simply don't care enough to take photos. Even if you are rich and live in an upmarket area. Very few people would warrant that sort of effort.

Someone claiming to be a former member of the burgling community posted on Slashdot to say that photography, whether Google's or one's own, of security problems visible from the street is useless for burglary purposes anyway, as what the burglar actually wants is a way to enter the property where they won't be visible from the street.

Peter

#321425 - 15/04/2009 09:14 Re: Get yourself on Microsoft Virtual Earth (in the UK) [Re: peter]
frog51
pooh-bah

[quote=peter...former member of the burgling community .[/quote]

Just love that mental image...
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2