Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#328032 - 13/12/2009 02:06 Camcorder info please
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
I am after some recommendations for a digital video camera, preferably recording to an SDHC card or internal flash memory.

O.I.S. quality is the most important feature as I want to use it mounted in a four wheel drive on rough dirt roads/tracks.

I don't mind whether it is SD or HD, or the aspect ratio since the video will end up on DVD.

I have seen that the Canon Legria HF200 gets some good reviews, does anyone have experience with this model or a similar camcorder?

Thanks!

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#328036 - 13/12/2009 04:38 Re: Camcorder info please [Re: pedrohoon]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Camcorderinfo.com has good... uh... camcorder info. smile

You might want to take a look at the cameras specifically made for the type of application you're talking about. Something like this might suit you well.
ricin.us

#328133 - 16/12/2009 12:22 Re: Camcorder info please [Re: ricin]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Thanks for the links ricin, the camcorderinfo.com site has some good info, especially the graphical results of the OIS tests. It looks as though the Sony HDR-CX500V has the best OIS around at the moment (for consumer grade camcorders). Pity it is about $500 more than the Canon here frown .

The SmartyCam looks like a great solution for racing, especially if you have the sensor data available, but it is overkill for my usage of just driving along dirt tracks. Also I don't see any mention of image stabilisation although I assume it would have to have it in some form.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best