Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#328360 - 30/12/2009 18:48 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: TigerJimmy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
I think it's really true that you only need 3 knives for cooking, so you're better off getting 3 super-high quality knives than a whole set of trash.

I'd go even further to say that you really only need one great knife. You can do pretty much all your cutting with a chef's knife.

That said, I have 3 chef's knives. smile A 12", 8" and an 8" santoku. All Wüsthof Classic. The other knives are more of a luxury and get used far less frequently. Bread knife which is also awesome for cured meats like chorizo and salami, paring knife and narrow kitchen knife (this is the one I pretty much never use, though my wife likes it).

I want to add a tomato knife to the collection, even though I don't eat raw tomato - it's great for cheeses and also cured meats and other odd and ends. I also need a long meat fork, but so infrequently that I haven't picked one up yet.

#328361 - 30/12/2009 18:54 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
For Americans... "HomeSense" is the "home" sales component of the store "Winners" which is the same store as "TJ Max" in the US.

Which would make the American version "HomeGoods".

"TJ Maxx", BTW.

Edited by wfaulk (30/12/2009 18:54)

#328362 - 30/12/2009 18:57 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: peter
The first time I tried it, it cut an ordinary small tomato into forty slices, most of which were basically transparent.

I just tried it on a lime (an Arabian/Mexican lime, not a key lime), and got about 35-ish slices out of it, not counting the discarded ends. Not that I'd ever normally cut a lime like that, but it's not exactly tomato season.

Actually, is your ceramic knife single- or double-ground? That is, does it bevel in on both sides or is one side flat?

Edited by wfaulk (30/12/2009 19:14)

#328363 - 30/12/2009 19:09 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: TigerJimmy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I just came across a ceramic honing, uh, "steel", which makes a lot of sense. You want your … honer to be harder than your knives. I'm not sure that the Henckels steel I have is doing a damned thing to that super-hard Shun steel.

Which reminds me: I never pointed out that the reason that the Shun knives are so sharp is that they use a really strong steel for the edge that can hold a much more acute angle than most knives. It's 16° rather than the 220° you see on most European knives. Then they clad more normal steel around the edge piece to make up the bulk of the spine, which is what gives it that Damascus-y look.

#328364 - 30/12/2009 23:28 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Yeah, I'm looking for a new steel. You've also got to steel at a different angle, for the reasons you point out.

#328366 - 31/12/2009 06:47 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The term you're looking for is keiretsu, or, in the case of Korean companies, chaebol. (I hang out with too many unabashed Japanophiles.)

It always amused me that Mitsubishi makes pretty much everything from pencils to supertankers. And, it turns out, beer.

#328368 - 31/12/2009 12:19 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I just came across a ceramic honing, uh, "steel", which makes a lot of sense. You want your … honer to be harder than your knives.

Though, a steel technically is not supposed to hone the edge, it's just supposed to realign it.

For a hone, you want to pick up a Norton waterstone. But if you steel often and correctly you shouldn't need that for 12-18 months.

I got a Norton waterstone when I switched to shaving with an old-fashioned straight razor, which has to be outrageously sharp to work. Instead of steeling a razor, you strop it, but otherwise it's the same principle for cutlery. The razor is a very, very hard carbon steel rather than a stainless, which is always going to be a compromise. The Shun is a super-high quality stainless, but still not as hard as the razor. The Norton works well on the Shun knife.

Come to think of it, I have a Dovo stainless straight razor also, but I never use it because I can't get an edge on it like the carbon razor. It works, but the difference is really noticeable when you're scraping your face.

Edited by TigerJimmy (31/12/2009 12:21)

#328369 - 31/12/2009 12:42 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Actually, is your ceramic knife single- or double-ground? That is, does it bevel in on both sides or is one side flat?

Mine (which, I've just checked, isn't actually the 16cm one in the link I gave upthread, but the 14cm version of the same thing) is double-ground.

Peter

#328372 - 31/12/2009 20:35 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: canuckInOR]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: Dignan
So, did anyone get anything especially good for Christmas?

An Arduino Nano v3.0, with which I intend to (finally) do something about this.

Dependant on your final installation I can recommend the Sparkfun Arduino Pro Mini as a much cheaper alternative to the Nano. It dispenses with the USB interface, which in an embedded application you're unlikely to use anyway. You can then just use a simple FTDI breakout for programming/testing.

Andy M

#328373 - 31/12/2009 23:17 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: andym]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: andym
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: Dignan
So, did anyone get anything especially good for Christmas?

An Arduino Nano v3.0, with which I intend to (finally) do something about this.

Dependant on your final installation I can recommend the Sparkfun Arduino Pro Mini as a much cheaper alternative to the Nano.

Yeah, I looked at that. The reason I went with the Nano is that it handles the automotive voltage range, without me having to deal with adding my own voltage regulation. I can code, but my electronics experience is near-nil. I agree that it would be nice to drop the USB interface eventually, though.

#328376 - 01/01/2010 10:11 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: canuckInOR]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Happy New Years all.

#328378 - 01/01/2010 15:20 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: canuckInOR]
andym
carpal tunnel

I can see how that would be helpful, although looking at the schematics of the Nano, it's just a 5V reg. Given it's got to step 12-14v down to 5 and it has no external heatsink, I wonder how hot it will get?

Andy M

#328379 - 01/01/2010 16:48 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: TigerJimmy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
Though, a steel technically is not supposed to hone the edge, it's just supposed to realign it.

Yeah, I know that; I just don't know the right words, apparently.

#328380 - 01/01/2010 16:49 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: andym]
StigOE
addict

Looking at the schematics for the Pro Mini, it says max input voltage is 16VDC, so this should also be able to handle automotive voltages.

Stig

#328382 - 01/01/2010 21:50 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: StigOE]
andym
carpal tunnel

The spec on the Arduino website actually lists 12v as the upper limit of the 'recommended' range. The absolute maximum is 20v, although I get the feeling it wouldn't last long at that voltage.

Given there's no heatsink on the reg I'd be reluctant to use it in my car like that given the normal operating supply voltage with the engine running is approx. 14.5v. If it was running all the time I wonder if that could reduce the lifespan of the device.

Andy M

#328383 - 01/01/2010 23:32 Re: Merry Christmas [Re: andym]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: andym
The spec on the Arduino website actually lists 12v as the upper limit of the 'recommended' range. The absolute maximum is 20v, although I get the feeling it wouldn't last long at that voltage.

If I understood what I read correctly, the worst you should get is a spike up to 18v -- unless there's something disastrously wrong with the car. Being able to handle up to 20v should protect against any spikes.

Quote:
Given there's no heatsink on the reg I'd be reluctant to use it in my car like that given the normal operating supply voltage with the engine running is approx. 14.5v. If it was running all the time I wonder if that could reduce the lifespan of the device.

Looking at the board, it appears that the microscopic heatsink is soldered to a pad on the board. Perhaps it'd be wise to add a small voltage regulator of my own, regardless.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2