Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32929 - 18/06/2001 20:45 install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ???
leveronj
new poster

Loc: Columbia, MO
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this install for the 2001 model . . .

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/Suburban.html is the closest I come on their site. The Denali is a bit of a different beast, and before I shudder at the purchase price, I want to see if a new Empeg can go in this one.

Being a bit of a computer geek in the daytime, I was wondering if there was an AUX provision for the stock factory system. It includes an AM/FM/cassette tuner in the normal Suburban spot, and a 6 disc CD changer in a lower portion of the center console (compared to current Suburbans, which seem to mount a cassette player about where this changer goes).

I believe the other aspects of the onboard audio are more than adequate for my ears, so I'm not looking to replace the factory amp, sub, or speakers for now. (heck, what am I saying? The bank and I haven't bought this thing yet . . . )

But like many others, I'm looking at whether or not I can reasonably add my empeg before deciding if this vehicle is feasible

The Denali dash can be seen at http://gmc.com/denali/denalixl_interior.html

Thanks for all thoughts . . . John

#32930 - 19/06/2001 02:33 Re: install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ??? [Re: leveronj]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
*Agility*? In *that*? .

;)

Hugo

#32931 - 19/06/2001 09:19 Re: install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ??? [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Everything's relative, Hugo. I'm sure it's quite agile compared to, say, a battleship...

#32932 - 19/06/2001 15:40 Re: install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ??? [Re: leveronj]
leveronj
new poster

Loc: Columbia, MO
Yes, I realize their marketing is a bit, umm, interesting. And believe it or not, while it's no C5, it handles very well for a, well, aircraft carrier. I need the internal storage space to carry everything; there will be no third row seat in this one

I really, really hope there is something like a Y adapter that can be installed between the cassette deck (which I will probably use twice) and the head unit.

I have no idea of the dimensions for the head unit area, and the area behind the dash is another unknown. While they don't mind a test drive (from someone with good credit ) they might be a bit unhappy if I started removing fasteners for the consoles . . .

I love the Empeg concept, being an engineering type. I'm quite prepared to go with a modified kernel and use a wireless Cisco card with it, to allow additions and deletions from the desktop while it's parked in the garage.

The only thing that is really missing is the ability to play CD's. I realize it's not even worthwhile considering the bility to play them natively, and I have a very large library of my own CD's already digitzed at 192 to my network at home. The CD ability is for whatever others may have, and demos.

Anyway, I own neither the Empeg nor the "Boat" yet, but have been saving back a lot for both So I'm looking into the feasibility. Does anyone know of others who have successfully integrated the Empeg with a GM factory system? I'm again hoping for modular plugs.

Thanks, John

#32933 - 19/06/2001 15:52 Re: install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ??? [Re: leveronj]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only thing that is really missing is the ability to play CD's.

After you've owned an empeg for a while, you won't miss it.

If you need to play the occasional CD, others have solved the problem by dangling a connector from the Aux In jacks and hooking up a portable CD player to them.

#32934 - 03/07/2001 05:40 Re: install in an '01 GMC Yukon Denali XL ??? [Re: leveronj]
rtundo
addict

Loc: Albany, NY
Though I've been reading this board for weeks this is my first post. I thought it was an appropriate place to start since I installed a Mark II in my 2001 Denali as an auxilliary player (in place of the in-dash cd changer). It looks perfect in this place and the actual installation is not that hard. The most diificult challanges were:
1. Had to cut the front of the mounting cage so it would fit behind the Denalis faceplate.
2. Filed the faceplate cd changer opening so the empeg unit would slide thru it and then into the mounting cage.
3. Purchased an adaptor from peripheral performance that allows control of a kenwood changer (mounted under the rear seat) which has RCA inputs for an additional player.

The unit works flawlessly and looks like it came in that spot. The only thing is that my remote door locks do not work well with the unit I (so I reduced the turn off to 5 sec. as suggested in a previous post). If you need anything else let me know.

Good luck!

PS THe Denali is awesome and would highly recommend it!