Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32953 - 19/06/2001 19:28 Unattached Items
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Ok guys,
here is another supposed bug report for you. Sorry if it was discussed here before, but I did not find anything about it in the faqs.
Sometimes, when deleting the last entry of a song, i.e. when physically deleting the mp3 file from the hdd, it does not actually disappear. After the next sync, in fact, the file appears aganin in the Unattached Items folder. So I have to delete it again to make it finally go.

Can I delete the Unattached Items folder? What is that for?

Also, a quick suggestion: wouldn't be possible to introduce a feature that allows one to delete ALL entries fo the same song AND the physical file at once?

Thanks.

Taym
= Taym =
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#32954 - 19/06/2001 19:45 Re: Unattached Items [Re: Taym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sometimes, when deleting the last entry of a song, i.e. when physically deleting the mp3 file from the hdd, it does not actually disappear. After the next sync, in fact, the file appears aganin in the Unattached Items folder.

This shouldn't happen, I don't think... Did you delete a parent playlist without deleting the files within it? Hmm, I think even that is supposed to delete the individual files. Unless you deleted more than one parent playlist containing the files... or something... I don't know? Anyone?

If you can figure out an exact set of steps to reproduce the problem on 1.03, (starting from uploading a fresh file, perhaps copying it to certain playlists, and then deleting things in a specific order?) please list the steps here so that we can narrow down the bug.

Can I delete the Unattached Items folder? What is that for?

The Unattached Items folder should not be deleted. It's the way you can tell if something has gone wrong with the files on your unit without losing those files. It's the equivalent of the Linux "Lost and Found" folder.

Each song and playlist has an associated database entry, or FID. If these somehow become de-synchronized with the actual music files, then the presence of files in "Unattached Items" is your tip-off that something's wrong. You can correct it without losing the song files.

Also, a quick suggestion: wouldn't be possible to introduce a feature that allows one to delete ALL entries fo the same song AND the physical file at once?

Mantra time: This will exist in 1.1. You will be able to search for a song in Emplode, and delete all entries of that song from the Search screen.

#32955 - 19/06/2001 20:07 Re: Unattached Items [Re: tfabris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
That's the case. Here are the steps. I upload mysong.mp3 to the empeg, in the directory (playlist) \sorted_by_artist\artist\album\mysong.mp3.
Sync.
Play the song in my car.
Then go back to the PC and delete the \artist\ folder (with all the songs inside it. Supposedly).
Sync, and here are the songs back to Unattached Items Folder.
Delete mysong.mp3 from the unattached items folder.
Sync.
Song gone.

mysong.mp3 was not part of any other playlist.

Notice, this does not happen if I delete a single song, but only when I delete an entire folder. And when it happens, it does to ALL the songs in the folder.

1.03? R U referring to the beta? Anyway, I still use the 1.02 version. I'll test this again on the final 1.03, when it is avalable.

Taym
= Taym =
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#32956 - 20/06/2001 00:21 Re: Unattached Items [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Repeat after me, Tony. It's a bug. You should never have anything in Unattached Items. If the item is in no more playlists, it should be deleted. If it's still in a playlist, it's attached and, by definition, should not appear in unattached items.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#32957 - 21/06/2001 13:27 Re: Unattached Items [Re: Roger]
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
I have found similar problems when deleting everything from within a playlist then deleting the playlist entry itself but not when deleting individual items from other playlists. I always check the 'unattached items' section now after a sync. If there is anything there I delete and re-sync and that always gets rid of them.

Steve - 18GB Mk II Amber

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons