Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#343552 - 20/03/2011 00:54 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Shameful?

#347444 - 15/09/2011 15:44 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Should I start a Flash Death-Watch thread?

From Microsoft's Dean Hachamovitch, IE lead:
Originally Posted By: "Microsoft"

For the web to move forward and for consumers to get the most out of touch-first browsing, the Metro style browser in Windows 8 is as HTML5-only as possible, and plug-in free. The experience that plug-ins provide today is not a good match with Metro style browsing and the modern HTML5 web.

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web’s history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

Another way to say that the web's future does not include Flash.

#347446 - 15/09/2011 16:04 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
I just wish sites would use HTML5 video tags properly. Most are still just detecting the user agent strings and feeding HTML 5 video to iPads and IPhones only. This is the wrong approach. Instead they should detect the platforms capabilities and use what is best in the situation.

6 months later, and this still seems to be the case. Maybe with the recent announcement from Adobe that their streaming server 4.5 will also serve HTML 5 video for iOS/Roku clients will help fix this properly.

Having now had hands on experience for a while with a tablet with Flash (The HP Touchpad), I'm firmly in the "don't want" category. The video experience is painful and noticeably bad in most cases on the Touchpad. iPad, continues to deliver me solid video playback on the sites that support it. And the ones that do continue to grow.

#349045 - 09/11/2011 04:19 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Should I start a Flash Death-Watch thread?

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/9/2548802/adobe-killing-mobile-flash-plugin-android-playbook

Originally Posted By: Adobe
Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations. Some of our source code licensees may opt to continue working on and releasing their own implementations. We will continue to support the current Android and PlayBook configurations with critical bug fixes and security updates.

All tied into the "realignment" Adobe is going through, that resulted in 750 people to be laid off. Hopefully those folks land on their feet, that seems like a large number for an area to absorb quickly, even for Silicon Valley.

#349060 - 09/11/2011 21:58 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ouch. Bad lack of forward vision helped doom it.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ex-flash_manager_adobe_ignored_smartphones_until_i.php

"Icaza noted that Adobe’s focus hit the more popular feature phone market through the launch of the iPhone and the rest of the smartphone market"

"even though half the mobile Flash team at Adobe carried the Apple iPhone in 2007, they said it was a niche."

Edited by drakino (09/11/2011 22:01)
Edit Reason: changed link to the source, bs blog echo chamber links

#354142 - 14/08/2012 16:53 Re: The real cost of Flash [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125219/flash-mobile-android-4-1-not-supported

Keep in mind that if you want Flash on Android, download it before tomorrow. Adobe will be pulling it from the Google Play store for new installs.

Maybe now web sites will start supporting HTML 5 video properly. It's annoying to me, even as an Apple user that sites like TheVerge.com use Flash for every video, except when the user is on iOS. Android users, with the same HTML 5 video capabilities of iOS, get locked out unless they have Flash installed.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4