Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#335881 - 07/08/2010 11:02 Movie-Editing Software?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
As a team-building exercise, my company has got us making movies. I've somehow managed to volunteer myself for the editing role.

This means that I've got to take a bunch of footage (which we're still in the process of filming) and edit it down to about 3 minutes.

First: what tips do people have for this kind of thing?
Second: what software should I use? Windows Movie Maker doesn't have enough features.

I need to take the original video, overlay voiceover, and cut back and forth between at least 2 video tracks.

I've tried Pinnacle Studio, but it's a bit flaky (I thought I'd lost 3 hours progress this morning), which doesn't inspire confidence. I also tried Magix Movie Edit Pro, but the performance doesn't appear that great, in that it can't preview AVCHD in real-time (it appears to use 2 cores to do the rendering, but I've got 4 cores, so it's missing a trick there).

#335883 - 07/08/2010 14:03 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

iMovie 09, or iMovie HD (the 06 version) should meet your requirements if you have access to a Mac. In 09, make sure to open Preferences and tick the "Show Advanced Tools" under General. That will allow finer grained tweaking while editing.

#335889 - 07/08/2010 14:44 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Perhaps Adobe has a trial of Premiere Elements? On Windows, I think that's as good as you'll get (other than Premiere standard).

I despise all Pinnacle products, though that is based on my impression of them from 5-6 years ago, so I don't know...

#335894 - 08/08/2010 04:27 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Perhaps Adobe has a trial of Premiere Elements? On Windows, I think that's as good as you'll get (other than Premiere standard).

I'd forgotten about Premiere; they do have a trial version. I think for the moment, I'll press on with Cyberlink PowerDirector, which seems to get good reviews.

Actually, all of the video-editing software I've tried crashes. Either they're all a bit crap, they don't like all being installed at the same time, or there's something wrong with my PC.

On the last one, I ran Prime95 for a couple of hours last night, and nothing went wrong, so I'm inclined to believe that it's crappy software. I'll take a look at the stack traces when they occur and see if there's a pattern.

#335897 - 08/08/2010 14:27 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah. That way you can report it to them, and they'll do nothing about it!

#335911 - 09/08/2010 04:38 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Yeah. That way you can report it to them, and they'll do nothing about it!

smile Seriously, though. If there's a pattern, then it suggests a software problem. If it's completely random, then it's more likely to be hardware.

#335912 - 09/08/2010 10:33 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm not even a huge fan of Cyberlink either. PowerDVD was fine back in the day, but it's always seemed a little bloated to me and that doesn't seem to have improved.

Video editing software is the last piece of the "decent, inexpensive alternative" puzzle, IMO. There are decent cheap or free alternatives to pretty much every other type of program out there, but not video editing. I'm sure it's no easy feat, but I've been waiting for something to come along for years, and still the only thing that's come along has been stuff with Cyberlink, Pinnacle, Ulead, and other company names that instantly scare me off.

I just checked AlternativeTo.net, and there don't seem to be a whole lot of options, as I suspected. I was, however, surprised to see "VideoLAN Movie Creator." I don't have any expectations on that one, but it's free and VLC is one of my favorite applications of all time, so I'm going to give it a try...

*edit*
Ouch, looks like VLMC is a 0.1.0 release. No wonder I hadn't heard of it yet. Still, I appreciate the effort they're putting forth, and I think these are the folks to do it...

*edit 2*
Just tried it out, and just like the warning when you start it states, it's extremely pre-alpha. It really doesn't work right now. I simply tried importing several clips, dragging them to the timeline, and playing them. That made it crash hard.

Still, I'm excited for that project to get somewhere. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Edited by Dignan (09/08/2010 10:56)

#335925 - 09/08/2010 15:10 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

There are decent cheap or free alternatives to pretty much every other type of program out there, but not video editing.

To be honest, $100 falls into my definition of "inexpensive". Particularly if there's a non-crippled trial version I can have a look at first.

I'm interested to see how the VideoLAN people get on, though. I doubt they'll have anything ready to use within the two weeks I've got before my deadline. smile

#335929 - 09/08/2010 16:26 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
To be honest, $100 falls into my definition of "inexpensive". Particularly if there's a non-crippled trial version I can have a look at first.

You're right, of course. I would still like $50 for the amount of video editing I do, but $100 is definitely an improvement over Premiere Pro.

Quote:
I'm interested to see how the VideoLAN people get on, though. I doubt they'll have anything ready to use within the two weeks I've got before my deadline. smile

Considering VLC went into 1.0 about 4-6 months ago after years, I'd say you're right smile

#336360 - 24/08/2010 06:32 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
Roger
carpal tunnel

I think for the moment, I'll press on with Cyberlink PowerDirector

And after a couple of weeks playing with trial versions of Adobe Premiere Elements, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Pinnacle Studio, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 and Sony Vegas, I declare the winner to be:

Sony Vegas

The others all crashed, some even while not actually doing anything. So far, Sony Vegas has done everything I've asked of it (which is, admittedly, not exactly James Cameron-level), and hasn't hiccuped once.

#336361 - 24/08/2010 07:47 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
iMovie on the iPhone 4 wink

#336362 - 24/08/2010 10:18 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
And after a couple of weeks playing with trial versions of Adobe Premiere Elements, Cyberlink PowerDirector, Pinnacle Studio, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 and Sony Vegas, I declare the winner to be:

Sony Vegas

The others all crashed, some even while not actually doing anything. So far, Sony Vegas has done everything I've asked of it (which is, admittedly, not exactly James Cameron-level), and hasn't hiccuped once.

I used Vegas a while ago (ok, back when I think it was version 6) and while it was 'ok', I preferred Premiere. I still use Premiere Pro and haven't looked at Vegas in quite a while. Maybe I should look at it again.

#336367 - 24/08/2010 12:00 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Cool, glad to hear you found one you like. I wasn't super hot on it when I tried it, but I think that, like Tim, I tried it a long time ago.

I'm curious, which version of Vegas are you using? Is it Pro or that "Movie Studio," which seems to be their "Elements" version. They seem to even have the same general pricing as Adobe.

#336370 - 24/08/2010 13:56 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I recently discovered that a recent-ish PS3 update added a video editor. I haven't even looked at it, but if you already have a PS3, maybe it's worth a look.

#336373 - 24/08/2010 14:30 Re: Movie-Editing Software? [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

I'm curious, which version of Vegas are you using?

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0

...and, yeah, it's priced/featured to compete with Adobe Premiere Elements and all of the others that I listed.