Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33903 - 03/07/2001 12:50 IP/FTP/SAMBA Howto's
gmaguire
new poster

Loc: Ireland
From searching through the board trying to gather info on how to install the ftp/samba packages etc, can howto's be created for doing this.

How does installing a new Empeg image affect custom installations/tweaks that have been made to the system ?

Thanks,
Ger.

#33904 - 03/07/2001 13:03 Re: IP/FTP/SAMBA Howto's [Re: gmaguire]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Every upgrade usually does two things. Reflashes a new kernel, and also wipes and rebuilds the partition with the player (/etc /bin, and others). Best solution is to store all mods on either the unformatted 32 meg partition, or the music partition. Then just backup your init, apply the upgrade, and restore your init.

#33905 - 03/07/2001 13:20 Re: IP/FTP/SAMBA Howto's [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Right, that's exactly what I do. I put all my mods in /drive0/var (which doesn't get wiped out with each upgrade), and I use shell scripts to re-install them painlessly after each upgrade.

Well not completely painlessly. Some of the mods are dependent on certain kernel versions, and I have to change the mods every once in a while when Empeg upgrades the kernel.