Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33929 - 04/07/2001 22:48 Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc
kds
new poster

This is a recommendation/request.

Scenario:
I search by title or source and there are multiple songs or discs with the same name (e.g. "Foo"). The only way I can determine which is the song or disc I want to hear is by selecting the "Foo (2)" item being displayed then navigating to the correct song or disc.

Solution:
1. Provide a way to navigate one more virtual level down for items with multiple matches. That is, if I select the "Foo (2)" item as described above, a virtual sub-menu enumerating each artist with a song or disc titled "Foo" would be displayed along with an "All" in case I do want to play all songs or discs with the name "Foo". I should then be able to select the artist on this virtual sub-menu to play the desired song or disc.

2. Don't combine matching titles or sources in search mode and instead show as much of the artist's name as possible(in a smaller font?) to the right of the song/disc name in parentheses.

Though this doesn't happen too frequently it does happen enough to irritate me.

Keith

MkII #080000085
MkIIa #040104267

#33930 - 05/07/2001 18:02 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: kds]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
multiple songs or discs with the same name

Since 95% of my music is classical, I have a great many duplicate titles (i.e., "Piano Concerto #21, 2nd Movement". I got around this by prefacing the composer's name to each tile, so instead it is "Mozart-Piano Concerto #21, 2nd Movement"

The downside to this is that I have to make extra keystrokes during a search, but it does allow me to drill down to exactly the selection I want.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#33931 - 06/07/2001 13:01 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: kds]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sub-levels in the Search Results screen has been requested before. Anyone have links to those discussions?

In my collection, the multiple-result thing doesn't happen very often, but I agree that a sub-tree of those results would be nice for those situations. The problem is the screen real estate necessary to get the details of each individual result (so you can discern which one you want to choose). I'm sure something could be worked out, the question is whether this feature would be high on Empeg's priority list.

In my collection, the main reason one might see a multiple-result would be when both a studio version and a live performance of the same song was available. This isn't a problem for me because I've gone to the extra trouble to make sure the text "(Live)" is appended to the track title of every live performance in my collection. If that's your only reason for needing the sub-tree, you might want to consider doing the same.

#33932 - 08/07/2001 21:22 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: tfabris]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Recent example: it would be good to be able to select "All Around The World" according to whether it was by Paul Simon or A.T.C. There's quite a few examples of that kind of thing in my collection. "One More Time" by Memphis Slim or Daft Punk is another that I can remember encountering.

As a side note, I'm gradually approaching the stage where I can ask people what sort of music they like, and then have at least a few tracks available. It's pretty cool.

Richard.

#33933 - 08/07/2001 21:48 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: rjlov]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Recent example: it would be good to be able to select "All Around The World" according to whether it was by Paul Simon or A.T.C.

Right. On my empeg, the song title "Mother" seems to be the common one. I think I've got four or five completely different songs with that title, not counting variants of the same song (such as live performances).

#33934 - 12/07/2001 15:55 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I run into this problem a lot with old blues records. Quite a bit of title sharing with those. I also have a number of "complete" collections including four or more recordings of the same song, by the same artist.

I'm running out of synonyms for "alternate."

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Honey, you're wasting ammo..."

#33935 - 12/07/2001 16:25 Re: Searching: Handling duplicate titles, sources, etc [Re: bootsy]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I'm running out of synonyms for "alternate."

Isn't that what 'Year" is suppose to resolve?
1.10 ??

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6