Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#341503 - 24/01/2011 21:04 Re: windows 7 64bit crashes emplode during synch [Re: deadsled13]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Hi,

From the Empeg FAQ:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why do I get an error message about reiserfs?
(Entry last updated on March 25th, 2004)
If you look at the player's boot up messages closely, you might see a line similar to this:

Tried to mount /dev/hda4 as reiserfs but got error 19

This is a normal status message that appears on every player on every boot up. It does not indicate a problem or an error of any kind. Please pay it no attention.

---------------------------------------------------------------
It's normal.

The "Tried to mount /dev/hdc4 but got error 6" is normal for a single drive player too. This is confirmed in "No secondary hard disk" message.

Have you checked to see if you have playlists and database files in /empeg/var ?

Ross

#341509 - 25/01/2011 01:51 Re: windows 7 64bit crashes emplode during synch [Re: Ross Wellington]
deadsled13
journeyman

Loc: NC
How do I do that? I typed that in to the hyperterminal and all it said was this is a directory! I don't know anything about hyperterminal commands.

MK2a 250gig #030102295

#341510 - 25/01/2011 03:45 Re: windows 7 64bit crashes emplode during synch [Re: deadsled13]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Hi,

Insure the player drives have stopped spinning then disconnect the power plug from the empeg.

With the serial cable connected and a Hyper Terminal running, plug the power connector into the player. Allow it to boot and display the boot messages as you have in the past. I usually let it complete the boot even if it takes a while due to a hosed database. One quick identifier is the player display will show that it is rebuilding the database and either stays there or goes blank if you have a screen timout running. It will not pass through the radio messages. Follow the steps below:

---------
STEP 1. :
---------

When the boot is complete, type the following:

q

The player should respond with the following:
---------------------------------------------
Restored terminal settings
Remounting first music partition read-only
Remounting second music partition read-only
Player exited normally: 0
Switching to shell-player loop
Starting bash.
empeg:/empeg/bin#

---------
STEP 2. :
---------

Then type:

cd /empeg/var
ls -la

The expected response should be:
--------------------------------
total 3580
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Sep 17 21:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 0 0 4096 Sep 10 22:14 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 229 Sep 14 02:59 config.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 3514373 Sep 17 21:36 database
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 119236 Sep 17 21:37 playlists
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 376 Sep 17 21:36 tags
empeg:/empeg/var#

You will notice that there are 4 files listed above. They are config.ini, database, playlists, and tags. My tags files are quite small because I have deleted most of the tag data and renamed the file-name include what I need.

My format is: xx - Song Title Artist Album

If you only see config.ini and not the other files (like I have had trouble with), you need to rebuild the database, playlists and tags. See the example below...

Example of an incorrect repsonse:
---------------------------------
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 4096 Aug 31 18:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 0 0 4096 Aug 23 15:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 614 Aug 31 17:51 config.ini
empeg:/empeg/var#

If all of the files are there (which I doubt because it can't find the tags - they could also be corrupted too), someone else might need to help. Roger recommended deleting the files and forcing a rebuild. Don't delete the config.ini file.

If the files are not there, proceed to the next step.

---------
STEP 3. :
---------

Since you only have 1 drive (2 drives require an additional command substituting drive0 with drive1), type the following:

mount -n -o remount,rw,nocheck /drive0

Then type:

Ctrl+D (Hold the Ctrl key down then depress the "D" key, sometimes referred to as CTRL^D). If too much information, I apologize. This forces the player to rebuild the files on its own.

Wait for the player to build the database, playlists, and tags files. This may (will for large databases), take a few minutes.

---------
STEP 4. :
---------

Verify that it comes back with the following after the rebuild:

Example of a similar correct completion response:
-------------------------------------------------
Prolux 4 empeg car - 2.1434 Jul 5 2004
Vcb: 0x4086d000

---------
STEP 5. :
---------

Ctrl+C (sometimes referred to as CTRL^C) to stop the player.

Then type to make the drive(s) read only:

rom

---------
STEP 6. :
---------

Allow the player drives to spin down and remove the Power plug connector from the player. Re-insert it to reboot the player.

It should boot and operate correctly.

---------
STEP 7. :
---------

If you want to verify the rebuilt files are there, type the following again:

q

cd /empeg/var
ls -la

You should see the rebuilt files as shown in the correct response in STEP 2. (with different file sizes for your music database, playlists and tags).

If this doesn't work for you, you're going to have to call in the big guns (the 50+ calibre guys not a 9mm guy like me).

At this point you may have to repeat this procedure if it doesn't rebuild the files after loading them into the Player. I have had to do it a couple of times now. Not exactly sure why.

Let us know how this works for you.

Special thanks to Roger, Mark Lord, Peter, & Tony Fabris for their contributions to helping us to sort all of this out. To those who designed (hardware, software, mechanical, etc.), it in the first place too. Being an Engineer, I know how difficult that can be even with High-Rel components and top notch personnel.

We are in your debt. The Player still thrives a decade after its release. Now someone will just have to remind me... how long was this product expected to last?

Ross

#341511 - 25/01/2011 04:42 Re: windows 7 64bit crashes emplode during synch [Re: Ross Wellington]
deadsled13
journeyman

Loc: NC
that clears it up a little, I have used the hyperterminal to rebuild the partitions if I had a synch fail or had to pull the plug during a sync.

Since I rebuilt the hdd and am starting from scratch that doesn't really help me now but it may come in handy down the road. thanks again for helping to explain it.

Edited by deadsled13 (25/01/2011 04:43)

MK2a 250gig #030102295

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2