Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#338 - 18/08/1999 16:00 MP3 problem
eoghain
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Just thought I'd warn all of you out there that are frantically ripping your CD collection. Make sure that you are getting ID3 tags put onto your MP3's. I just found out that my ripping software (musicmatch) isn't actually putting ID3 tags onto my files. So none of my 70+ CD's have ID3 tags that Emplode recognizes, which means typing them all in again.

So again check your files to makesuer that they are getting tagged. Use another player to test this, since in my case musicmatch kept showing the proper information.

Eoghain

#339 - 19/08/1999 10:08 Re: MP3 problem [Re: eoghain]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
Musicmatch maintains its' own database in it'sown format. We (a couple of us at work) stopped using it as we could not get a commitment from them as to whether they would be able to convert their format to standard ID3 or even ID3-V2.

We are currently using Audio Catalyst (Xing) and MP3 Producer(Fraunhofer)

Both of these produce correct ID3 tags

Kamau Wanguhu

#340 - 19/08/1999 10:58 Re: MP3 problem [Re: eoghain]
Clarke
journeyman

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ USA
You can download tools from MP3.com that will take a bunch of MP3 files, check the CD in the CD-ROM drive and then go out to the CDDB system and write the info into the ID tag. Don't re-type all those tags by hand, just select the files, put the appropriate audio CD in your drive and press go.

Cheers,

=-C

______________________________________ Queue 351, Mk I, 30GB Mk II #60000022 80gb, Blue - docked Mk2a, 80GB, Bruface, lighted buttons and dial

#341 - 19/08/1999 13:52 Re: MP3 problem [Re: Clarke]
eoghain
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thanks, I just wish it was that easy. To save space on my home system I burned all of my MP3's. So now I have no way to update them except manually. Maybe one day I'll get the ambition to pull them all back onto the system and fix this, but right now my priority sits with filling up my Empeg. And since Drag and drop populates at least the song title, I only have a couple of things to add.

Eoghain

#342 - 19/08/1999 19:03 Re: MP3 problem [Re: borgcube]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
Asked around and the new version of Musicmatch will migrate your files from the old proprietary database format to standard ID3.

Supposedly you just need to create a new database and drag all the songs back in and it will generate new files with the correct ID3 tag info. Not very fast from what I hear...

Kamau Wanguhu
#264in Queue Unit #31 Blue 4GB

#343 - 24/08/1999 04:49 Re: MP3 problem [Re: eoghain]
AndyG
new poster

Loc: UK
I'm in the same boat. 9GB all cut onto CDs. I'd be willing to re-cut them, but I don't relish manually putting ID3 tags onto 1500+ MP3s!. Try this out:

NMEDIA

Useful gizmo which will create an ID3 tag from the filename (fields can be configured).

- Andy

#344 - 30/08/1999 05:08 Re: MP3 problem [Re: eoghain]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
Get hold of MusicMatch V4, it will convert your old files to ID3 tags, it also has the best music library around. I use it to organiz(s)e all of my MP3s.
It even lets you add stuff like cover art etc.
If you have loads of MP3 lying around, V4 will add all of the files starting at a path you specify. I have even paid for this product and keep getting the freebie updates.
And no, I don't work for them, I just like the product.
Mike