Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34531 - 16/07/2001 12:14 It's begining, and with unexpected results...
drakino
carpal tunnel

New Scientist is running an article about a certain CD that is being sold in California with the SafeDisc protection on it. It's sold 100,000 copies already, and the group complaining about it is not the ones I expected. Audiophiles are complaining because they believe the technology distorts the sound. Hopefully with this early outcry, we won't have too much to worry about when needing to rip CDs to MP3 for our empeg.

#34532 - 16/07/2001 16:30 Re: It's begining, and with unexpected results... [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

You sure about this? I can't get through to the NewScientst link right now (the Web site seems to be down), but a Google search on SafeDisk turns up a technology from Macrovision that's all about "encrypting" CD-ROMs such that they're impossible to copy. Right below this, of course, are links to places that have software to, umm, play backup copies of SafeDisc content.

#34533 - 16/07/2001 17:39 Re: It's begining, and with unexpected results... [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Minor change, it's SafeAudio, not the SafeDisc used on CD-Rom software.

#34534 - 17/07/2001 03:32 Re: It's begining, and with unexpected results... [Re: drakino]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
ok, here's a thought. they say in the article, that the computer will copy the errors and cause audible noise in the copied file right? Well, what if you copied the audio through a digital cable going from the output of your CD player, into a digital sound card? What happes then? Does the CD player correct the errors, and send the complete audio signal to the computer to write as a file? Would that be a way around this?

If it doen'st do this, and actually send the noticalbe gap throught the digital cable, then wouldn't that cause noticalbe noise in anyone's system that uses digital cables? I have a digital cable going from my CD player to my amp.

i hope i made sense... do you konw what i mean? ....this is based on what the article said.

Any thoughts on this???

-CHiP