Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#349207 - 24/11/2011 11:59 Still looking for TS alternatives
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
A few years ago I posted on here about wanting an alternative to Citrix/Terminal Server because of the huge licensing costs and our limited budget. We're still in the same boat, my latest bout of research has found this:

http://www.xpunlimited.com/index.html

Anyone here tried it?

#349208 - 24/11/2011 12:08 Re: Still looking for TS alternatives [Re: tahir]
tahir
pooh-bah

I guess licensing is the issue that springs to mind immediately; by the looks of it you can run a TS environment using Win 7 64 bit, without paying for a server OS or any MS CALs. How would you assess the legality of that?

#349215 - 25/11/2011 07:38 Re: Still looking for TS alternatives [Re: tahir]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Illegal, according to the Windows 7 EULA:

Quote:
2. c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.

Quote:
3. a. Multiplexing ... does not reduce the number of licenses you need.

Section 3. f. allows up to 20 file/print/IIS/ICS/Telephony connections.

Quote:
3. g. Remote Access Technologies. You may access and use the software installed on the licensed computer remotely from another device using remote access technologies as follows.
· Remote Desktop. The single primary user of the licensed computer may access a session from any other device using Remote Desktop or similar technologies. A “session” means the experience of interacting with the software, directly or indirectly, through any combination of input, output and display peripherals. Other users may access a session from any device using these technologies, if the remote device is separately licensed to run the software.

#349217 - 25/11/2011 09:52 Re: Still looking for TS alternatives [Re: Roger]
tahir
pooh-bah

Thanks Roger, it certainly looks dubious.

#349218 - 25/11/2011 12:20 Re: Still looking for TS alternatives [Re: tahir]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't know what your need is, but how about a Unix server with VNC and Wine? That would be zero software cost.

#349219 - 25/11/2011 15:14 Re: Still looking for TS alternatives [Re: wfaulk]
tahir
pooh-bah

Yeah, but not much use ATM. We only have a single (old) app that runs on Linux nowadays I guess I'll be switching that server off some time soon. Have had Linux apps in the past but the reseller that sold (and installed) our Scalix mail server stopped supporting it, and the developer that developed the last version of our business app failed to complete it. We use Office/Outlook/Exchange plus a (Win) payroll app and our main business app is also a Windows product now.

Just need to get a year where we make some actual money so I can spend some of it smile