Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3498 - 10/12/1999 19:53 Lillputian Distress Signals in Morse Code
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Having just paid a small fortune to two custom audio places to have my unit installed, I'm sorry to report that I am still plagued with a weird noise emission that one installer called, "Lillputian distress signals in Morse code." These signals seem to be coming from the rear, left corner of the empeg (as detected with an inductive transducer.)

We tried various grounding permutations; two expensive amps, three sets of different high-end RCA cables (the best are actually a spiral twin inside a shielded sheath) but the noise persists whenever the empeg is powered (even on pause.)

We even moved the amp power cable to the underside of the car to use the car body as a shield to keep the signals out of the power line.

The noise is very low but is heard during slow passages, between tracks, and anytime one would expect to hear silence. It is found on all four outputs but is especially noticable on the front left (where the driver would be closest.)

The audio expert I most recently engaged, tells me that the noise is entering the the signal cables at or in the empeg itself and "nothing further can be done" to silence it.

While I love the empeg, this is very distressing. Sound quality is very important to me and although the empeg plays wonderfully at home, I don't understand why it can't sound as good in the car. The weird digital signals don't bother my home system.

Anyone have any suggestions for filters, fiberoptic output conversion, or supershielded wires? or anything? I'm ready to try anything. Please advise. Thanks.

#3499 - 04/01/2000 20:09 Re: Lillputian Distress Signals in Morse Code [Re: Mark Miller]
Mark Miller
journeyman

I finally got rid of ALL cpu noise from my empeg! I ran a thick wire from the amp case to the empeg sled to make sure both grounds were closer to the same potential. I also trimmed down the gain inputs on my amp.

I'm very happy now.

Regards, Mark

--> Get paid to surf the web! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=CCI498

#3500 - 05/01/2000 03:23 Re: Lillputian Distress Signals in Morse Code [Re: Mark Miller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you also use those grounding adapters, or was the sled grounding all that you needed to do?

#3501 - 05/01/2000 17:02 Re: Lillputian Distress Signals in Morse Code [Re: tfabris]
Mark Miller
journeyman

I tried the grounding adapters at the amp and at the empeg but eventually settled on using them at the empeg end (lower noise.) The ground cable between the empeg case and the remote mounted amp helped the most. Trimmed down the gain on the amp and now it is perfect!

--> Get paid to surf the web! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=CCI498