Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35125 - 27/07/2001 09:11 Journaled Filesystem
synergy
enthusiast

Any possibility of (in a post 1.1 era... whenever that may come) the empeg adopting a reiserfs/xfs/jfs filesystem?

After converting my servers here and at the house to reiserfs (with a mix of XFS), I'm just amazed at how slow the ext2 FS really is... not to mention the fscks. How lovely NOT to have to worry about the player sitting and sitting and sitting, while doing a fsck. Obviously due to the caching performed by the player, FS speed isn't a large factor during normal use, but getting rid of the need for the fsck would be worth it alone, IMHO

I know that they are only now really coming of age in the linux world, and I'm not entirely certain of their portability to the ARM architecture, but it would be damn nice....

#35126 - 27/07/2001 11:35 Re: Journaled Filesystem [Re: synergy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Strange you should mention that, a project we've been working on uses ReiserFS on an ARM platform ;)

So the answer is yes, but not in v1.1.

Hugo

#35127 - 27/07/2001 21:25 Re: Journaled Filesystem [Re: synergy]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
After converting my servers here and at the house to reiserfs (with a mix of XFS), I'm just amazed at how slow the ext2 FS really is... not to mention the fscks. How lovely NOT to have to worry about the player sitting and sitting and sitting, while doing a fsck. Obviously due to the caching performed by the player, FS speed isn't a large factor during normal use, but getting rid of the need for the fsck would be worth it alone, IMHO

I'm not sure if getting rid of the fsck is a good idea. There are two reasons to run fsck: 1. when you turn off your machine without unmounting your filesystem first (this is rarely a problem on the empeg since the drives are usually mounted read-only) and 2. every so often, just in case something went wrong for whatever reason. A journaled filesystem makes 1. unnecessary but 2. is still desirable - what if there's a bug in the filesystem implementation?

Borislav

#35128 - 12/07/2002 17:46 Re: Journaled Filesystem [Re: altman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I know this is way old, but this would seem to indicate that ext3 is faster than Reiser for most circumstances, and my personal experience is that Reiser has problems with corruption, not to mention poor utilities for repair when it becomes corrupted.

Personally, I'm using XFS, but that's another story.

#35129 - 13/07/2002 07:00 Re: Journaled Filesystem [Re: wfaulk]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Rio Central user Reiser - ext3 wasn't in a useful state when we developed that product. That said, Reiser seems to be working just fine for us.

If we change FS on the car player, ext3 is the likely candidate if only for ease of migration.

Rob