Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#352413 - 30/05/2012 12:43 Home ownership ranting
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Rant #1:

Our garage door opener is a Wayne Dalton iDrive system. It does some sort of RF communication between the button on the wall and the light in the ceiling and the actual door motor. The button on the wall is really just a battery-powered "accessory" no different than the button you put in your car.

Well, 4.5 years after our house was built, the ceiling light died. I changed the bulb. No dice. I disassembled the thing and it's a compact circuit board that's running the low-power digital section in close proximity to the 120V AC section. I'd love to hear Patrick's opinion on how one builds such a circuit properly, but I suspect this was never meant to last. There are no obviously fried parts on the board, but there are lots of tiny little surface mount resistors and the like, which aren't exactly easy to inspect.

The solution? Dropping $100 on a new ceiling light fixture, from the precisely one place on the Internet where I can seem to find it for sale. Warranty? One year. I had an unpleasant conversation with the Wayne Dalton warranty people (whose phone number isn't disclosed anywhere on their web site). For posterity, it's 866-759-8943. I tried to guilt them into sending me a replacement ("Do you consider a failure after 4.5 years of standard operation to be normal?"), which has worked brilliantly for me with other electronics vendors, but they stood firm. Wayne Dalton, indeed, considers short-term failure of their components to be absolutely within specification. (And don't even get me started on how it can cost $100 for a device with at most $20 of parts, probably much less, within it.)

Rant #2:

The floorboards in our house, near the downstairs bathroom, were slowly pushing themselves away from the wall. We investigated, prying the boards away, only to discover that below this the drywall was wet and moldy. Cutting away the wet drywall, there was a sheet of MDF behind that, also wet and moldy. Cutting through *that* led to the space between the walls with no obvious pooling of water.

After two rounds of "investigative plumbers", the first of which found nothing wrong, the conclusion is that the downstairs toilet, on the opposite side of the wall in question, had a small crack in its drain pipe. There's a bunch of blue pipe cement on the *inside* of the pipe. The investigator concluded that whoever had installed the pipe had attempted to cover up a crack with pipe cement, rather than replace the pipe. Net result? Every time you flush the toilet, some small amount of water leaks out the crack and under the floor. (There's maybe 3cm of the hardwood floor plus the boards they're mounted to below them. After that, it's the concrete slab foundation.) The MDF wallboard has been slowly siphoning this water up into the wall. The hardwood floors in the bathroom are also modestly uneven, which is consistent with this diagnosis.

The solution? Today I've got some flooring people coming out. They're going to need to remove significant chunks of the floor in and around the bathroom to sort out the degree to which the water has spread. This will then suggest how far we have to go tearing out wall boards and whatnot.

I suspect we're going to blow past our insurance deductible on this, but we'll have to see on that.

If there's a moral to this story, it's that it's better to pay a good deal more money for a smaller house if you've got a builder who sweats the small the stuff, hiring trades that take pride in doing their work properly, and having rigorous inspections to ensure as much, and specifying appliances and whatnot that may well cost more but are built to last.

#352415 - 30/05/2012 13:29 Re: Home ownership ranting [Re: DWallach]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I suspect it would be less headache and cheaper in the long run to just take that opener out and install a new one. At the very least, you aren't rewarding those people for their crap products. I replaced my old garage door opener with a new one and a pair of light fixtures, it wasn't nearly as painful as I was expecting.

New houses can be scary if you aren't involved from the start. Some contractors are awesome, but others use cheaper materials and subcontractors knowing they will be out of the picture before the problems start.

#352416 - 30/05/2012 13:38 Re: Home ownership ranting [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'm very happy to be in a business networking group that also has a contractor and a handyman who are highly reputable. I'm happy that I have them to call if anything ever goes wrong.

They aren't the cheapest out there, but there are definitely some things it's not good to cheap out on.

#352428 - 30/05/2012 22:38 Re: Home ownership ranting [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
The iDrive has received some pretty bad reviews in the past. My brother had one, and honestly speaking, I concur with his opinion of it: bad. Totally unreliable for him, though YMMV. I thought the design was sub-par, though of course I love the idea of a torsion bar mounted opener.

I installed a LiftMaster Jackmaster in my current house. http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/pages/productmodeldetail.aspx?modelId=436

Solid and reliable. All the accessories are the same as those of the parent company, and leading opener manufacturer, Chamberlain.