Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35552 - 02/08/2001 10:28 CD Changer control
chris_vd
stranger

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Seems to me that adding a CD changer control modifaction to the kernel and by using the aux input/serial port would be a fairly modest task. Anyone have or seen any plans like that?

#35553 - 02/08/2001 12:15 Re: CD Changer control [Re: chris_vd]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, this has been discussed before. The main problem is that CD changers have proprietary control interfaces, and you'd need a different interface device for each brand of CD player. No matter what, you would need to create some hardware that goes between the serial port and the CD changer, because the changers don't talk "regular serial". Then you would have to write the necessary software to control the hardware.

But if you're willing to reverse-engineer the CD changer's proprietary interface (it's been done before I'm sure), and willing to create the hardware interface, and willing to write the software, then yes, it can be done. It's just not a trivial task.

Empeg doesn't have this capability in the product because of the proprietary nature of changers, and because the product is targeted as something that allows you to get rid of the need to carry your CDs in the car.

PS: They do make add-on changers with wired/wireless remote control interfaces. You could easily use one of these combined with the empeg. You just would't be able to use the Empeg's front panel to control it, you'd have to use the controller that came with the changer.

#35554 - 02/08/2001 14:45 Re: CD Changer control [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Certainly a while back many of the major companies were doing an RF output from CD autochangers. Once we have the Tuner module, you could hook up an Autochanger pretty easy.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver

#35555 - 02/08/2001 15:51 Re: CD Changer control [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think that the ones with RF output already had RCA outputs anyway, and the RF output was only something you needed as a last resort. Since the empeg has RCA ins, I don't think you'd need to resort to the RF output.

Okay, I just checked Crutchfield. I was wrong. All those add-on units have a note that says: "Compatibility: The output of this unit is only RF, so it must be used with an FM tuner."

How lame!

#35556 - 02/08/2001 15:57 Re: CD Changer control [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

I think the whole idea was to allow use with low end head units with no autochanger control or inputs. Also to cut down on install costs, hence most people that went for them also did not have amps installed.

- --

#35557 - 02/08/2001 16:27 Re: CD Changer control [Re: chris_vd]
Tofudebeest
new poster

Couldn't we pick one changer and write code and make hardware for that? I don't care which brand of changer I have, but it would be nice to have one, I'd just go buy whatever one the Empeg has support for.

#35558 - 02/08/2001 21:36 Re: CD Changer control [Re: Tofudebeest]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I have always been intrigued by the idea of adding a CD changer to the empeg. Although I have all the equipment to analyze and decode the changers signals, I do not have the knowledge to program even a basic user interface.
Also, the last time I thought about this there was very little development into alternate user interfaces for the empeg. Now there is plenty (I think?) of info on the subject.

If anyone really wants to do this and can program a basic user interface with serial port control output I will create a hardware interface for an Alpine CD changer (since I have one).

Alex Lear

#35559 - 03/08/2001 02:26 Re: CD Changer control [Re: alear]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
What is the purpose of adding a cd changer to the empeg? What would the advantage be compared to converting those few ten or twelve CDs into MP3 and put them all in the empeg?
I may understand the need of a simple, single CD player that let's you play the one cd a friend brough without notice, ok... (But not that useful, even in that case. Honestly I would never want the empeg guys spend time in that rather than in anything else in the development of the empeg sw/hw)
But with the cd changer what is the big deal? I mean, if you have to sit and decide what cds out of your cd collection to bring down to the car, than you also have time to convent them into MP3 and upload them in the empeg player. Or am I missing something? Not to mention the fact that you avoid totally the risk to scratch your original CDs. I see the empeg as the final solution NOT to bring CDs with me, and to avoid to install other useless boxes in my car (namely, a cd changer)... Anyway, just my idea. :)

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#35560 - 03/08/2001 03:17 Re: CD Changer control [Re: Taym]
mardibloke
addict

I guess if for those times you just picked up a new CD, and would like to play it on the way home, or times when someone jumps in your car with a new CD they would like you to listen to.

- --

#35561 - 03/08/2001 05:46 Re: CD Changer control [Re: mardibloke]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
then wouldn't a single disc player be better for that purpose? it's cheaper and doesn't require any work at all to get support.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

#35562 - 03/08/2001 08:59 Re: CD Changer control [Re: Dignan]
mardibloke
addict

Good point, however you would need to find a space in the dash, an autochanger can go in the boot ( trunk ) or under the seat.

- --

#35563 - 03/08/2001 09:27 Re: CD Changer control [Re: mardibloke]
Derek
addict

Loc: NRW, Germany
for the extremely rare occasion that I might actually want to play a CD my discman works very well, plugged into the Aux inputs of the empeg. It sits quite nicely in the glove box or on the passenger seat/passengers lap

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 6GB blue)

#35564 - 03/08/2001 09:42 Re: CD Changer control [Re: Derek]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
My thought also!

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 # 080000263 (queue 1232) 6+20Gb blue/red

#35565 - 03/08/2001 11:04 Re: CD Changer control [Re: chris_vd]
chris_vd
stranger

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Why youy ask??? Because it'd be cool! :)

My original intention was just as stated before. Being an MP3 fan does not bar me from buying new CD's, which I do often. I HATE picking up a new CD and waiting till I get home to encode rip it and listen to it.

Friends/family with cd's too is also a very good reason. I agree that single discs and discman's would be more than adequate, it just doesn't 'come together' as nicely as a cd controller on the player itself.

And to be honest, even at 160+kbps encoded mp3's don't sound as crisp as CD's.

#35566 - 03/08/2001 17:20 Re: CD Changer control [Re: chris_vd]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
thats why when I bought a new car I made sure to get one that was a double din radio opening

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#35567 - 03/08/2001 18:11 Re: CD Changer control [Re: chris_vd]
alear
enthusiast

I have a different perspective on the CD changer issue. I should have elaborated on my previous post. I am "intrigued" becuase I like electronic projects that are a challenge.
I am quite happy with the sound quality of the empeg and have only the "fun" desire to do such a project. I even have a second head unit that lets me use CD changer and radio. I have used the CD changer for long trips when a few friends will bring music they like with us and I'm happy I have it. Other than that I only use the CD changer when I forget my empeg which this project would not help.

There is also the issue of car audio competitions (which I don't participate). They only allow CD's (for what I think is a good reason). This accounts for a very very small percentage of users but is often great advertising for companies which is why they probably sponsor. I would love to see an empeg head unit in the winning car at an IASCA competition even if it didn't use MP3 music.

I have heard all the reasons why a project like this should not be done and I agree with most. However I think this shows that the empeg can be integrated into other components and control just about anything.

I certainly didn't want to imply that the designers at rio/empeg take time to do this I just thought there was enough great programmers in our forum that could handle such a simple interface. (about five serial output commands and a screen output, I think some of this has been done before)

I had originally thought that an Alpine CD changer would be good because I could go ahead and decode the bus myself with mine but I found a website that has a forum of people that have done some fantastic work reverse engineering the Sony Unilink bus. They don't have it 100% decoded yet but there is enough info to control a single CD changer.
The site is http://www.cus.org.uk/~cleggy/resources.htm

Alex Lear

#35568 - 05/08/2001 08:48 Re: CD Changer control [Re: alear]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Well, go for Sony instead and have a look at these pages.
http://www.cus.org.uk/~cleggy/

TommyE

#35569 - 05/08/2001 16:52 Re: CD Changer control [Re: TommyE]
alear
enthusiast

That site on the sony Unilink is great. A lot of hard work has gone into decoding it. I find it interesting that there is a phatbox "spy" lurking around the bulletin board.

Alex Lear