Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3578 - 11/01/2000 17:36 Pop!
JKcap
stranger

Everything has been the same and I just started getting a turn off pop from the amp when the empeg has power and switches the amp on and off its self. Does anyone else have this problem. the pop is louder than the one if you just disconect power.

Thanks

#3579 - 12/01/2000 03:44 Re: Pop! [Re: JKcap]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This has to be a candidate for the Most Frequently Asked of Frequently Asked Questions.

As far as I can guess, it's caused by high input impedance amps with massive capacitors on the power supplies. Turn off the power (from the empeg), the amp doesn't drop off the rails as quickly as the empeg does. The amp is still amplifying, THUMP!

I would first try reducing the input inpedance and/or input gain at the the amplifier. If this doesn't work, then go down the empeg-recommended route of putting 1k resistors across the outputs of the empeg itself (within the connectors). This requires soldering.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#3580 - 12/01/2000 16:39 Re: Pop! [Re: schofiel]
JKcap
stranger

My problem is that its the same amp that was working fine since it was installed, the amp is only 25x2 and runs off the same power as the empeg. This pop/noise is a new thing going on and only started a few days ago. I need to check a few things this weekend.