Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#358118 - 03/04/2013 20:44 Re: Mattress thread [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: DWallach
You didn't say whether you got a firm or soft mattress, but that may be part of your problem. If you sink down, then you've got more of your surface area against the mattress, and that means more thermal problems.

That's true, but the problem is more with the fact that it's a pillowtop. You're almost always going to sink into something marketed as a pillowtop, whether it's also listed as firm or soft. Our mattress, for example, is listed as the firmer end of the spectrum, but the top is still a pillow that creates a divot after you've slept on it for a while.

I really hate this mattress...

What's really annoying to me, as I do more mattress research, is that there seems to be completely differing opinions on whether memory foam mattresses create heat, and whether they create more/less heat than traditional mattresses. I'm seeing mattresses with rave reviews and people saying they get no additional heat, with other people saying the same mattress makes them feel like they're a pizza in an oven.

#358119 - 03/04/2013 20:48 Re: Mattress thread [Re: DWallach]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I recently bought a new mattress, and almost lost my mind in the process with all the various options out there. I found this site to be immensely helpful.

http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

I ended up purchasing an all latex mattress from a local manufacturer and ended up saving a lot of money in the end. I couldn't get over the "sinking" feeling that a memory foam mattress had. I also liked the idea of an "all natural" product and supporting a local manufacturer. The guy who runs the site seems to have contacts in the industry around the country, so if some one already hasn't asked you can post and he'll hopefully provide you a few local spots to start at.

#358120 - 03/04/2013 21:07 Re: Mattress thread [Re: petteri]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I've been reading about latex mattresses, but for some odd reason they seem to be the least common type sold in stores! From what I was reading, they're all-natural, breath better, and have faster bounce-back. From what I can tell, they're better in every way!

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out...

#358121 - 03/04/2013 21:16 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I could really use some help. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks...

Eventually, you get used to it. Trust me on this one.

#358122 - 04/04/2013 01:41 Re: Mattress thread [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
I could really use some help. I haven't had a good night's sleep in weeks...

Eventually, you get used to it. Trust me on this one.

I'd like to, but here's the thing: everything I hate about this mattress is exactly what I hated about our old mattress, except exaggerated.

The old mattress (and I mean old - about 20 years old) had definite divots on both sides of the bed, which means I was sort of sunken into it, making my shoulders very uncomfortable if I slept on my back or stomach. It also made me warmer because I was surrounded by more material.

This new mattress - because it's a pillowtop - makes me far hotter and even more sunk in.

So no, I'm certain I can only despise this mattress more as time goes on.

#358123 - 04/04/2013 01:42 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I should add that all of this was exactly what I was worried about when it came to purchasing a pillowtop mattress.

I have avoided anything like the phrase "I told you so." I want to stay married wink

#358124 - 04/04/2013 03:58 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I just meant your body will adjust to sleeping in the heat. After no A/C for three and a quarter years, I can manage to fall asleep and sleep soundly in a pool of my own sweat. I know it's gross, but it's amazing how the human body can adjust.

#358129 - 04/04/2013 12:59 Re: Mattress thread [Re: JBjorgen]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Heh, I'm glad you were able to, but that's just not going to be the case for everyone. I hate being hot at all times, not just sleeping, so I would never dream of moving to Belize in the first place :-)

Heat aside, the comfort is also a big problem, and that is something I shouldn't get used to as it could be bad for me.

Petteri, thanks for the link again! It's going to take a deep dive into that site, but it's easily the most helpful page I've seen on the subject of mattress buying! Thanks again...

#358139 - 04/04/2013 23:27 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
No problem, just don't go too deep! Eventually you'll need to give up the research and go test some mattresses. Hopefully you get some good info and leads from there. Keep us posted!

#358141 - 05/04/2013 05:24 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I've been reading about latex mattresses, but for some odd reason they seem to be the least common type sold in stores! From what I was reading, they're all-natural, breath better, and have faster bounce-back. From what I can tell, they're better in every way!

A few years ago I went through the same process as you. Back then, the memory foam (Tempur) mattresses were also pushed a lot onto the customers (and still are from what I can tell), but I hated them. Every time I lay onto one of those in the store, I felt like I was "dead weight" (I don't know how to describe it differently). I hated how my body sank into it, and I hated how it took a tremendous amount of effort to get out of one of those beds because the mattress would not bounce even the slightest bit. No way in hell I was going to buy one of those!

In the end we also settled for a latex mattress, because it breathes. It's soft, bouncy and very supportive for the back. My wife is a back patient and sleeps like a baby in this bed. I must say this mattress is easy twice the thickness a normal mattress is, but it's just sooooo good, I really don't care.

The brand I bought is Lattoflex, but I don't think they sell outside Europe. The site is also not in English, only Dutch and French, but with the help of Google translate it might still give you some ideas. I'm pretty sure a comparable product exists in America.

This is my matrress : click. I love this thing! I must say, it's also helped a lot by the pattented Winx bottom. In this movie clip, you can see how Winx works. In this movie clip, you can easily see how thick the mattress really is.

#358146 - 05/04/2013 09:22 Re: Mattress thread [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks for that testimonial!

So you don't get too warm on that mattress? Before the Lattoflex, did you get warm on other mattresses?

The thickness isn't too much of a concern, but I won't be able to use a platform system like that Winx thing. Our bed is just a wooden-slat platform bed, so we can only put a mattress on top of it. Hopefully that won't cause too many problems for my search.

#358147 - 05/04/2013 10:48 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

So you don't get too warm on that mattress? Before the Lattoflex, did you get warm on other mattresses?

I NEVER get warm on this mattress. No even in the midst of Summer. I DO remember 'overheating' the (very) few times I've ever slept on memory foam (at a friends house) and I found it to be very uncomfortable.

The Winx system isn't a necessity, but it helps a lot if you've got back problems (which my wife has). Apart from that, it's mostly the mattress which does the work. It's a very 'breathing' fabric and I never even sweat in my bed. (at least not up to a level that I notice it or it's uncomfortable)

#358149 - 05/04/2013 13:11 Re: Mattress thread [Re: BartDG]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Can anyone explain why latex mattresses aren't more common? From everything I've read, they're superior to other types of mattresses in pretty much every way. Is it just personal preference and the marketing of brands like Tempurpedic that keep latex mattresses from being better known?

Edited by Dignan (05/04/2013 13:12)

#358150 - 05/04/2013 13:28 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I can't speak to the mattresses, but I can speak to pillows. I've bought myself a variety of weird pillows, in the the search for that magic something or other. I bought an all-latex pillow, and not only didn't like the feel of it, but the smell never really went away. I later bought a pricey Tempurpedic memory foam pillow and it's what I'm still using.

As they say, you mileage may vary.

#358151 - 05/04/2013 13:33 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
It's funny how nuts you guys get with mattresses. I get it... it's an important life decision for some, especially when you have to take another person's comfort into account.

I'll just toss in my recommendation. The primary reason I bought this Sleep Innovations mattress was the price. After sleeping on it for over a year now, I have to say I'm thoroughly pleased.

I didn't put a lot of thought into the purchase. I just needed a new mattress because my previous traditional $300 mattress was showing its age. I also wanted to try-out memory foam.

I've never once been overly hot on this mattress. Generally, I prefer to be chilly than warm. Even in the summer, I have never been hot on this thing. However, I do run the a/c constantly.

It's relatively cheap and it's available with Prime shipping. I'm sure Amazon won't mind if you take it for a 30-day test drive. Just be aware that once you pierce the vacuum sealed plastic it's shipped in, it will never fit back in the original box again.

#358152 - 05/04/2013 13:43 Re: Mattress thread [Re: DWallach]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
I can't speak to the mattresses, but I can speak to pillows. I've bought myself a variety of weird pillows, in the the search for that magic something or other. I bought an all-latex pillow, and not only didn't like the feel of it, but the smell never really went away.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I can guarantee you that my mattress doesn't smell like anything. Perhaps there are different sorts/production processes?

#358156 - 05/04/2013 14:28 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Can anyone explain why latex mattresses aren't more common?

Allergies.

I have been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for the past 8 years, and would never consider anything else.

But... YMMV.

tanstaafl.

#358157 - 05/04/2013 15:09 Re: Mattress thread [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: robricc
It's funny how nuts you guys get with mattresses. I get it... it's an important life decision for some, especially when you have to take another person's comfort into account.

Heh, yeah, I'm really finicky when it comes to my comfort smile I also despise being too warm, especially when sleeping. I'm still waiting for someone to invent the magical "Always-stays-cool" pillow.

Quote:
I'll just toss in my recommendation. The primary reason I bought this Sleep Innovations mattress was the price. After sleeping on it for over a year now, I have to say I'm thoroughly pleased.

I will definitely take a look at that one, Rob. Amazon actually has several highly-reviewed mattresses, funny enough, including an [url=http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Queen/dp/B0051AQXZK]all-latex one[/quote]. I'm paying attention to return policies, and it's funny to me that they're better at Amazon than they are at the brick and mortar store where I bought our crappy pillowtop that I'll be saddled with forever...

Quote:
I didn't put a lot of thought into the purchase. I just needed a new mattress because my previous traditional $300 mattress was showing its age. I also wanted to try-out memory foam.

Another problem is that I like firm mattresses and my wife, I think, likes softer ones. Which do you prefer and does that memory foam model you bought suit you?

Quote:
It's relatively cheap and it's available with Prime shipping. I'm sure Amazon won't mind if you take it for a 30-day test drive. Just be aware that once you pierce the vacuum sealed plastic it's shipped in, it will never fit back in the original box again.

Haha, yeah, I've seen the videos of that opening process. It's pretty hilarious how much it expands. It reminds me of those capsules I used to get as a kid that you drop in water and the shell dissolves to release a big sponge in various shapes smile

Costco has some well-reviewed mattresses and has a great return policy, so I might check them out. But if I want latex, I might try that one I linked to on Amazon. Apparently, after you place your order the manufacturer gets in touch with you via email to ask what level of "firmness" you want, then they make the mattress to your specifications! They range from 1 (super firm) to 10 (soft) in 1-step and sometimes .5-step increments. Pretty nice customization for an Amazon seller.

#358158 - 05/04/2013 15:14 Re: Mattress thread [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Archeon
I can guarantee you that my mattress doesn't smell like anything. Perhaps there are different sorts/production processes?

Must be. I've seen wildly conflicting reports on the smell issue for every single mattress I've looked at. It's subjective, of course, and might also depend on how good a person's sense of smell is, but that doesn't account for how differing the opinions are. Some people say there's no smell at all (or one that dissipates after an hour or two), and others say that they're blasted with toxic fumes, and no matter how long they open the windows, run ceiling fans, or burn candles, nothing will get rid of it. And we're talking about the same mattress here...

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Can anyone explain why latex mattresses aren't more common?

Allergies.

Yeah, that could be. I wonder, would that still apply if all these layers of fabric are between the person and the latex? Would you still get an allergic reaction?

Quote:
I have been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for the past 8 years, and would never consider anything else.

Thanks for the input! The one major issue with Tempurpedic is that they're a good deal more expensive than the alternatives. I wouldn't be surprised if you get what you pay for, but if the difference between 80% happy with my mattress and 90% happy is $1000, I'll take 80% smile Right now I'm at 0-10%

#358159 - 05/04/2013 15:38 Re: Mattress thread [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Another problem is that I like firm mattresses and my wife, I think, likes softer ones. Which do you prefer and does that memory foam model you bought suit you?

I prefer firm mattresses. I would say that the memory foam mattress I have is exactly what I expect from a "firm" mattress.

I didn't do a whole lot of research on the subject, but it does seem to be more common for memory foam products to be labeled as firm rather than soft. I bought a memory foam pillow recently, and it's pretty damn firm. Definitely the firmest pillow I've ever encountered. I wasn't happy sleeping on it the first couple of nights, but my neck is feeling noticeably better in the mornings. I'm going to try to adjust to the firmness.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2