Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#359763 - 18/09/2013 20:09 Phones in Greece
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
My wife and I are taking a much needed and long-overdue trip in October, spending ~2 weeks in Greece.

I've been overseas a great deal, but never with smartphones. This time we'd like to use our phones when we're over there, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

My wife has an iPhone 5 on Verizon, and I have a Nexus 4 on TMobile. What do we need to do in preparation? I'm especially puzzled about the iPhone.

#359764 - 18/09/2013 20:17 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The Verizon iPhone 5 has its SIM/GSM portion unlocked from the factory. You will have no problem other than trying to find a nano SIM to put in it.

I have a T-Mobile UK prepaid SIM active for travel. The data roaming cost isn't too bad, but it has to be reactivated via SMS every 50MB. I also have a Roamline SIM that's data-only. I have a plethora of VoIP applications on my phone, so that's typically all I need. If you're staying in one country, you should just get a local SIM. Of course, it helps to speak the local language when dealing with customer service (refills) or setting up data packages via SMS.

#359770 - 19/09/2013 08:44 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

So with both phones, I'd be best off just loading a SIM into them when I get there? In order to do that, is there any need to call my US carrier to let them know I'm travelling, or are they taken out of the mix? I wouldn't have to worry about roaming charges on the CDMA side of my wife's phone smile

*edit*

ps- thanks for the info!

Edited by Dignan (19/09/2013 08:45)

#359771 - 19/09/2013 10:04 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Yep, they are out of the mix once you pull the Verizon sim card. You don't need to tell Verizon what you're doing.

Usually the sim card provider will have the cutter to cut down a mini sim to nano sim.

#359772 - 19/09/2013 10:29 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The key thing to know/remember, is that your account with your home (USA) carrier is entirely within your SIM card, not your phone. So, for example, if you were visiting me here in Canada, I could put my SIM card into your phone, and it instantly becomes "my phone" with my number. Ring or text my number, and your phone receives it because of my SIM card inside.

Ditto for Greece. Get a local SIM card there, insert into phone, and the phone is now entirely a "Greek" phone, with a Greek number, on a Greek network. Except it still has all of your apps, preferences, and customizations intact.

Similarly, you could insert your USA SIM card into a phone of a Greek host, and make calls on it -- billed to your USA account.

So the account is with the SIM card.

#359774 - 19/09/2013 10:52 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
MarkH

As above, you can just turn up at your nearest mobile phone store when you land and get a couple of SIMs. Vodafone have more English language support, Wind and Cosmote tend to have cheaper deals, but really there's not a lot in it.

You will need to show your passport in the store when you buy the sims.

#359776 - 19/09/2013 14:49 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
But what do they call a quarter pounder in Greece?

#359777 - 19/09/2013 16:27 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

smile

#359778 - 19/09/2013 20:31 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: mlord]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
The key thing to know/remember, is that your account with your home (USA) carrier is entirely within your SIM card, not your phone.

Except when it's a CDMA carrier and phone, such as Verizon or Sprint. Then the phone is the account.

The iPhone 5 is an LTE "world phone" by Verizon's standards. It means that at home it sits on CDMA (Voice, text and slow data) with the phone being the account, then also sits on Verizon's LTE (fast data) network using the SIM as the account.

If the SIM is pulled and replaced with a GSM or other LTE carrier, then the CDMA side of the phone shuts down, and the voice, text and data accounts all are pulled from the SIM.

Overall I'm glad that the CDMA tech path is a dead one, and all CDMA carriers worldwide are migrating to LTE long term. Once they start using voice over LTE and deactivate the CDMA networks, the concept of a phone being the account goes away entirely.

#359779 - 19/09/2013 21:48 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: drakino]
larry818
old hand

Originally Posted By: drakino
Verizon's LTE (fast data)

This must be some strange usage of the word "fast" that I was previously unaware of...

#359787 - 20/09/2013 01:39 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: larry818]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: larry818
Verizon's LTE (fast data)

This must be some strange usage of the word "fast" that I was previously unaware of...

Well, like any cellular signal, it's going to depend on where you are at the time, but I was regularly getting over 25Mbps, which is five times faster than the average home broadband connection in the US. It's plenty fast for most people.

My problem was that I was using this fast connection on the Galaxy Nexus, which wasn't capable of rendering pages fast enough to make the speed matter. Now I'm on HSPA+ which is still pretty fast but slower than LTE, and my load times are way faster.

Thanks, everyone, for the SIM card suggestions. It was good to learn more and confirm what I knew. I'll look for a phone store when we get there. It's mostly for email and stuff. I plan to download areas on Google maps when we're walking around, and we're aiming for hotels with WiFi, so we should be pretty set. Thanks again for the input.

Does anyone know if the SIM card ejector for the Nexus 4 should be able to eject the one on the iPhone? I doubt my wife received the ejector with her phone since she got it from the government.

#359788 - 20/09/2013 01:53 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

The ejector that come with the iphone is trash. Just use a straightened paper clip, more effective and higher quality. I brought one with me to China, as their paper clips just don't measure up to ours.

LTE, at least here on the west coast, is never what I would call fast, and certainly not anywhere near as fast as wifi, on my iphone 5. 3G in Taiwan was way faster than LTE is here.

#359790 - 20/09/2013 03:25 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: larry818]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The ejector that come with the iphone is trash.

The old Liquidmetal ones were pretty nice. I think they stopped shipping those sometime during the 3GS era though, and changed over to the basically a paperclip ones.

Quote:
LTE, at least here on the west coast, is never what I would call fast, and certainly not anywhere near as fast as wifi, on my iphone 5.

Just need to be at the right part of the west coast smile T-Mobile LTE in Seattle frequently hits 35-40mbit easily. I did find Verizon LTE to be quite fast too on my trip last year, but this was usually in less populated areas. Don't really remember how fast it was in the larger east coast cities.

#359792 - 20/09/2013 10:37 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Does anyone know if the SIM card ejector for the Nexus 4 should be able to eject the one on the iPhone? I doubt my wife received the ejector with her phone since she got it from the government.

The Nexus 4 ejector is too short for the iPhone. The iPhone ejector will work for the Nexus 4, however. I carry an iPhone SIM ejector on my keyring.

#359805 - 23/09/2013 01:34 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Does anyone know what power adapter I need for Greece?

#359806 - 23/09/2013 02:13 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

For the iPhone? It charges by USB, even TV sets can charge it.

The apple charger is 100v to 240v, all you need is the plug adapter kit from CVS.

#359807 - 23/09/2013 09:36 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: larry818]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Travel tip for Canada/USA folk: take along an ordinary 2-prong household extension cord with three outlets. Then get a single plug adapter for use with the extension.

Plugs in B&B's and hotels tend to be in inconvenient locations, and few and far between at that. Having the extension cord with three outlets solves both problems.

And with most such cords, even a three-prong plug device (eg. notebook charger) can usually be connected using the "end" outlet on the cable.

Cheers

#359808 - 23/09/2013 10:55 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

For the iPhone? It charges by USB, even TV sets can charge it.

The apple charger is 100v to 240v,

Um, yes, I'm aware of all this...

Quote:
all you need is the plug adapter kit from CVS.

I was trying to figure out which adapter to get. Is Greece not standardized around one outlet type?

*edit*
I see that there's a standard European plug type. It's been a while since I've been over there so I wasn't sure. I'll just order a 3-pack of adapters I found on Amazon smile

Travel tip for Canada/USA folk: take along an ordinary 2-prong household extension cord with three outlets. Then get a single plug adapter for use with the extension.

Good tip, Mark. I do usually bring a travel power strip, but it's a three-pronged grounded strip, so I don't know if it would fit into the adapters well or not.

Edited by Dignan (23/09/2013 11:00)

#359810 - 23/09/2013 11:07 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Is Greece not standardized around one outlet type?

Looks like (from a google search on 'greece power plug') they use the same style plug as the main part of europe; two round pins in a flat plug (ungrounded only) or round plug (ungrounded or grounded (2 tabs 180 dwgrees apart on the perimeter)- but having somewhat smaller diameter on the pins than the 'normal' european. Flat plug fits in the round outlet, both ungrounded and grounded ones, as it's mainly used for double isolated devices. Ungrounded round plugs don't fit grounded outlets.

#359811 - 23/09/2013 11:58 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

I see that there's a standard European plug type. It's been a while since I've been over there so I wasn't sure. I'll just order a 3-pack of adapters I found on Amazon smile

Yep, "standard". Greece uses about 5 of those standards. That 3 pack will get you where you need to be.

I love the socket they're using in China now. It's designed to fit everyone's plugs.

#359819 - 25/09/2013 12:35 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: larry818]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy

Yep, "standard". Greece uses about 5 of those standards. That 3 pack will get you where you need to be.

I love the socket they're using in China now. It's designed to fit everyone's plugs.

I smile every time I hear somebody asking about EU plug standards, because there's no such thing and I so wish there was. There are many different national standards, each nation having its own (often more than one).

But:
Spain, France, and Germany seem to use the same power plugs/sockets, or maybe I should say they all use compatible versions of the same plugs.
In Italy, we use TWO different plug standards than Germany, France, Spain, but German (as we call it) standard is becoming more and more popular and, also, adapters cost few Euros at the shop round the corner. Also, more and more popular "universal" sockets are used in power strips or walls. I *think* Greece is just like Italy in this regard.
UK uses a different standard than the above.
I just happen to be in Edinburgh and I am regretting I only brought one universal adapter from Rome. I just had to buy another one here for £19, because in my experience no matter how well you plan, something unexpected happens and you need to plug more things, or plug them in different places you thought you would. Oh and yes, nineteen pounds.

Definitely, get a complete plug converter set + a power strip, as Mark suggested. Or, if you think a power strip takes too much space in your suitcase, then at least bring two plug adapter sets. I would get one that also has one or more USB port on, as those can get very handy.

Edited by Taym (25/09/2013 12:39)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#359820 - 25/09/2013 12:53 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Taym]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:

In Italy, we use TWO different plug standards than Germany, France, Spain, but German (as we call it) standard is becoming more and more popular and, also, adapters cost few Euros at the shop round the corner.

I'll be in Italy (Milan and Rome) in a couple of weeks. This is good to hear! I have a few old Euro adaptors around and was hoping they'd work!

To hijack the thread slightly, how ubiquitous are free Wifi spots in Italy? I'm not sure if I should just spring for TIM card while there or not. Last time I was in Italy was about 12 years ago and I'm sure things have changed in that regard! i won't really need to make many if any phone calls, just for data really.

#359821 - 25/09/2013 13:39 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: petteri]
Taym
carpal tunnel

In Rome and Milan you will find free WiFi in possibly 50% restaurants, bars, etc. Which however means it's not free: you're expected to order food or drinks. You'll find free WiFi in malls, occasionally. You may get lucky and get free wifi in the streets, but just because somebody left their WiFi network open. There are some public WiFi places offered by the City itself, but, don't rely on those.

If I were you, I'd just get a USB-Mobile adapter with a data SIM inside, and connect it to my laptop. Or, get a SIM to place in your mobile phone and then use tethering.
In Rome and Milan all operators will just work great, so get the less expensive - Wind is pretty good these days. USB-Mobile network adapters will be called "pennetta internet" (="internet pendrive").

#359822 - 25/09/2013 14:10 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

How expensive are data prices for the SIMs I'm likely to find in Greece? I'm ok with spending a little, but I don't want to be paying 30 euros for 20MB of data or something...

#359826 - 25/09/2013 18:48 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Note that I don't bring a "power strip" -- too bulky. Instead, this is what I pack for continental EU, including Italy:

Attachments
extension_plug.jpg

Description: Extension cord and EU plug adapter.

#359827 - 25/09/2013 19:13 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

How expensive are data prices for the SIMs I'm likely to find in Greece? I'm ok with spending a little, but I don't want to be paying 30 euros for 20MB of data or something...

I can't speak for Greece, but, as a reference, in Italy you can buy a Wind SIM at 15 Euro which includes 10 Euro SIM cost and 5 Euro data traffic. And of course you may add as much more data traffic as you wish. My guess is that other countries will have similar costs, among the jungle of data plans available.

Edit:
Sorry, I forgot the important part: the amt of MB/Euro changes of course depending on what plan you choose. Again just as a reference, with 9 Euro you can buy 1 month of traffic with a top of 2GB data. It means you pay 9 Euros up front and as you start to transfer data you have 1 month of data access and you can download up to 2GB. After a month, you need to pay more. Now, please keep in mind that such plans change continuously, so you may find a better or worse deal. Or, since it is Greece, completely different plans. Mine is just an example to give you a rough idea of what costs are.

Edited by Taym (25/09/2013 19:21)

#359829 - 25/09/2013 20:21 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Note that I don't bring a "power strip" -- too bulky. Instead, this is what I pack for continental EU, including Italy:

Yeah, that was what I had in mind. I have a dozen of those lying around smile I'll bring a couple of those with me. I have the adapters, but I might also pick up one of those multi-adapters too.

Taym, thanks for the numbers. If it's anything close to what you're saying, I'll be fine with it. Anything close to 9 Euros for 2GB of data is pretty darn good compared to rates in the US.

#359831 - 26/09/2013 00:02 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Italian AC power outlet.

Attachments
outlet.jpg

Description: Italian "universal outlet" for 220-240VAC. Accepts several styles of EU plugs as well as a less common variety of 2-prong plug.

#359832 - 26/09/2013 00:18 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Taym]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted By: Taym
In Rome and Milan you will find free WiFi in possibly 50% restaurants, bars, etc. Which however means it's not free: you're expected to order food or drinks. You'll find free WiFi in malls, occasionally. You may get lucky and get free wifi in the streets, but just because somebody left their WiFi network open. There are some public WiFi places offered by the City itself, but, don't rely on those.

If I were you, I'd just get a USB-Mobile adapter with a data SIM inside, and connect it to my laptop. Or, get a SIM to place in your mobile phone and then use tethering.
In Rome and Milan all operators will just work great, so get the less expensive - Wind is pretty good these days. USB-Mobile network adapters will be called "pennetta internet" (="internet pendrive").

Thanks I'll be taking a look at the "penetta" option. My phone is unlocked, but with AT&T firmware so I'm not sure the data tethering will work or not when I put in an Italian SIM.

Those data rates sound very good! Thanks again!

#359850 - 28/09/2013 10:49 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: petteri]
Taym
carpal tunnel

I just got back home and I can help a bit more.

So, yes, what Mark posted is a "universal" socket that will accept all three plug types you find here in Italy: see attachment.

From left to right:
Italian LARGE plug, supporting up to 16A
Italian SMALL plug, supporting up to 10A
German plug.

Both the Italian plugs above come in two version: with ground PIN (center pin ) and without. Sockets will accept both with and without ground versions, of course.

However, often in Italy you will find sockets that are NOT as the one Mark posted, and will only accept Italian plugs. I don't have any such sockets in my home, but usually you do. So I can't take a picture to show them to you. In any case, I do recommend you get a universal plug adapter.

I am telling all this because I am *almost* sure (!) Greece has the very same standards as Italy, that is a mixture of the national standard (same as Italy) and the (nowadays) almost-universal German standard, so good chances are all the above will work just the same in Greece.

I just googled "Greece Power Sockets" and results seem to confirm this.

Edit: Ok, below an accurate power socket picture. This is what you'll find in most placed in Italy, and most likely in Greece. If you look at the power socket in the right, the one with the white frame, you'll see how it includes an Italian standard socket accepting both Italian large and small AND also a German socket. Expect that combination in most places.

Attachments
WP_000179.jpg (1529 downloads)
power plug type L Italy power plug.jpg

Edited by Taym (28/09/2013 19:45)

#360174 - 06/11/2013 00:38 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Taym]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I thought it would be good to update you guys on how the trip went in regards to what I was asking about here. I'll start with the phone.

The first day we got to Athens, we decided to walk around the Plaka to see the sites and take in the city. While doing so, we made sure to keep an eye out for any store that sold phones. We eventually found a shop on Syntagma Square (where their parliament building is). They were clearly very comfortable with selling SIM cards to tourists, and the person we worked with spoke excellent English.

She also spoke excellent "up-sell" smile There were dozens of options we could add to our prepaid plans, all tiered out very well. We could get 1, 2, 3 or more GB of bandwidth. We could get Greece-to-Greece and Greece-to-USA minutes in 100 minute blocks. We could get texts in various increments (can't remember, we didn't get any). We ended up with 1GB of data for my wife, 3GB for me since I wanted to stay in touch with my clients back home just in case. We also got some minutes for calling between phones (even though we didn't plan to split up much), and we got minutes for calls home.

I can say with absolute certainty that 1GB is way more than you need if you aren't using Netflix or Youtube. When I got there I disabled everything on my phone that automatically transferred data for me (Google+ and Dropbox photo uploads, Doggcatcher podcast downloads, etc). I then used the phone for ALL navigation, checked email all the time, browsed the web a ton, all the normal stuff. I was regularly looking up information about things we were seeing. None of this added up to more than about 500GB.

So why did I run out of data by the end of the trip?

Well, our first hotel claimed to have WiFi access, but it was terrible. The data speeds weren't enough to get pretty much anything done. So I foolishly decided to tether my laptop to my phone because I desperately needed to use my laptop for something. Now, I thought I'd disabled Dropbox and the Google Drive app on my laptop, but it looks like that wasn't the case. Soon enough my phone is giving me the bandwidth alert I'd set to 2.3GB, and I immediately stop the tethering. Naturally, this was about two days into our trip, and I'm freaking out because we still have another 12 days and I only have 700MB left.

Thankfully, I ran out on our very last day of sight seeing, and that only happened because I decided to download a podcast for our flight back to Athens from Santorini. My wife still had plenty of data left, so I figured we would be fine and I was right.

So yes, I think 1GB is plenty, but get more just in case smile

#360175 - 06/11/2013 00:48 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Now for power outlets:

In every situation, we basically saw outlets that look like this:

I believe this is the German style plug, right? Well, I had brought these along, when I guess I should have brought these.

The ones I brought still worked, but they barely reached the outlet enough, and would constantly fall out. It probably wasn't the safest thing to do, but it was what we had and it worked.

I brought those adapters and a few extension cords like the ones we discussed (I have about 20 of them lying around here), and it was a great system.

Thanks for the help with the phones and the power stuff, folks! I appreciate it!

#360176 - 06/11/2013 08:10 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I believe this is the German style plug, right?

Yes, and used in most of Continental Europe. Mandated in humid/wet places like bathroom and kitchen. In "dry" places, I think most countries still allow the 2-pole non-earthed version.

#360178 - 06/11/2013 12:31 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: julf]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted By: julf
I believe this is the German style plug, right?

Yes, and used in most of Continental Europe. Mandated in humid/wet places like bathroom and kitchen. In "dry" places, I think most countries still allow the 2-pole non-earthed version.

In Sweden it's been a while since I spotted a new item for sale with the non-grounded round plug. It's all either the round grounded or the flat non-grounded (IIRC requiring the item to be 'double insulated').
Not sure if that is by regulation or because of European standardization/simplification of production.

For outlets, it used to be that grounding was required for outlets within reach of water. Nowadays all [new] outlets must be grounded. GFI required for bathrooms and outdoors.

#360828 - 20/01/2014 18:35 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Anyone familiar with Frankfurt airport? Will I be able to purchase a cheap SIM for text & calls from a store there? I do see an O2 store listed, but don't know what they offer plan wise.
Heading in Frankfurt proper is not an option as I'll be stuck in the conference hotel as soon as I land, but I know SWMBO would appricate being able to contact me quickly just in case.

#360830 - 20/01/2014 19:53 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

One of the podcasts I listen to had a sponsor that sells international SIMs before you travel. May be worth a look: http://www.simporium.com

#360831 - 20/01/2014 19:56 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Also worth noting, T-Mobile plans in the US now allow unlimited texting and 2G data when traveling to 100 countries at no additional charge. http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html#globalcoverage

#360833 - 21/01/2014 04:37 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: drakino]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Also worth noting, T-Mobile plans in the US now allow unlimited texting and 2G data when traveling to 100 countries at no additional charge. http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html#globalcoverage

+1 for this. I got an iPad mini retina with t-mo and used it in the UK and China. Worked just fine, obviously capped speed but very liberating to be able to roam for $0 smile

#360835 - 21/01/2014 16:16 Re: Phones in Greece [Re: drakino]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK

And on the same subject, Three UK have "Feel At Home" which lets you use most of your usual tariff in a few countries - notably the US. This is available to prepaid/pay-as-you-go customers too, so convenient to just get a free SIM sent, top it up and then use it for cheap(er) data.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Edited by g_attrill (21/01/2014 16:18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >