Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3604 - 18/01/2000 15:07 Pump you up...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Just curious...

What is the "Pumping Partion" thing all about when I'm upgrading my Empeg kernel?

I'm not a Linux expert-- is this one of those Linux things? As in, "It's a Linux thing, you wouldn't understand."

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#3605 - 18/01/2000 15:30 Re: Pump you up... [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
No, it's not a linux thing :)

The upgrader sends a gzipped partition image to the player, which "pumps" the hard drive (the pump program in the empeg's ramdisk decompresses this directly onto the partition).

I got the term "pump" from the old Acorn R140 unix workstation (ARM2 based, 1988) where in the case of a bad system failure (eg: a clueless unix newbie (blush!) got the arguments wrong on a piped tar and wiped out most of his filesystem), the service engineer just hooked up a good workstation, booted the dead one from a magic floppy, and the entire hard disk image was pumped over the ethernet to the dead one.

Hugo

#3606 - 18/01/2000 16:04 Re: Pump you up... [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

Thanks for the explanation, Hugo. Don't be embarassed. I've FDISK'ed the wrong partition before, which I guess is the DOS equivalent of your arguments slip-up.

Hey, tell your programmers good job on the 9a stuff (I assume they'll release it tomorrow since the interim build they sent me worked great).

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#3607 - 19/01/2000 14:04 Re: Pump you up... [Re: tfabris]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
nothing to do with the "pumping lemma"? i just finished a compilers class and i'm looking for some possible real world use for this info. to date, i have found none.

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...