Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36626 - 15/08/2001 09:03 Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit
caederus
journeyman

Loc: UK
Is there some clever way I can integrate the empeg's AUX-IN and/or
microphone with a Nokia hands-free car-kit? I know the car-kit
can assert a mute signal to the empeg, but could I additionally
economise on equipment by get the output from the car-kit to
come out of the empeg's speakers (instead of its own bulky single
speaker) and use the empeg's microphone as the input to the car-kit
(or, equivalently, pass the car-kit's microphone on to the empeg)?
Is this a useful thing to try to do? Assuming it is even possible,
would it upset the car-kit's (very good) noise-cancelling abilities?

--
http://ro.nu/ Robin O'Leary

#36627 - 15/08/2001 11:41 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: caederus]
omarkhayyam
journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I'm very interesting in hearing some responses to this, as I was thinking about wiring the cell-phone mic's that are already installed in the car to the empeg at some point. It seems like these mic's would work better than anything I could install myself, since they're designed to pick up your voice.

-Adam

"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care..."
-office space

#36628 - 18/08/2001 04:17 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: omarkhayyam]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I'm sure that there is someone out there who will come up with a Kernel hack to switch to the aux in when the car mute signal is available. If you use the aux in already, that line can also be used for a relay to switch over the phone speaker output to the aux inputs.

None of this is standard. Yet.

Murray 06000047
ust increasing my post count

#36629 - 19/08/2001 04:11 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: caederus]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
The Nokia hands-free kit comes in two ways as far as I know, one with a single speaker and one with a switchbox.

The version with the single speaker sends a mute signal to the radio and then uses its own speaker for voice output.

The switchbox version disconnects the speakers from the radio and then feeds its own signal into it.

I wanted the installers to do a mix of that, namely use my already installed speakers (without any additional speaker installations) and to also trigger the mute line of the radio. For some reason that didn't work, they told me switchbox wouldn't have enough power to drive both the speakers and the mute line (which is either a lie or Nokia manufactures crappy equipment).

I don't know if you can feed the voice-out from the hands free kit into aux-in because I think it is already amplified. Maybe you can somehow disconnect the amp though and get the raw signal from the hands free kit. I am nowhere near skilled enough in electronics to find out, however. :)

Till

#36630 - 19/08/2001 17:32 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: tigloo]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
If the output from the nokia switchbox is already amplified, I believe you can get speaker to line level converters. A quick look at Crutchfield finds the following: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-StDqpN8pln5/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=721&I=101PL2&o=M&a=0, which is the AudioLink PowerLink II Line Output Converter.

Good luck!

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#36631 - 20/08/2001 04:39 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: Ezekiel]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
The problem with that would still be that the amp in the switchbox would consume the power and not allow the mute line to be triggered.

Till

#36632 - 20/08/2001 13:14 Re: Integrating Nokia hands-free car-kit [Re: tigloo]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
What the installers told you sounds kind of suspect. I don't imagine the mute line on the empeg takes much juice (although there are people here more able to say for sure than me). I find it hard to believe that the company that makes those tiny, really complicated cell phones couldn't make a hands free kit that can't trigger a mute line. That dog don't hunt.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...