Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#366895 - 21/06/2016 19:21 Re: new goodies from Apple [Re: K447]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: K447
I consider the mobile operators collusive control of SMS (and the associated price bundling) to be anticompetitive, yet somehow this is widely perceived as acceptable. There are many things users cannot do with SMS because the mobile companies forbid or restrict access from outsiders.

I've also found it interesting that phone companies still charge for SMS separately, as if it were the old days where SMS involved a separate transport mechanism. These days it's rolled into the data stream where it's just another part of the digital bitstream and it really doesn't deserve to be separated like that. Any excuse for a company to get money (or continue to get money) and they'll do it. It's like when a county collects a road toll pay for a bridge, but then they keep tolling anyway long after the bridge is complete.

Another thing that I think is odd, that is widely perceived as acceptable, is how we're paying cable companies to bring us television channels which have commercials. We're 'paying' twice there. Once upon a time, the commercials were entirely how the channels got paid for.

#366896 - 21/06/2016 20:58 Re: new goodies from Apple [Re: K447]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: K447
There was a market share factor involved. iPhone currently is nowhere near Windows percentages that occurred during the peak Windows era.

How that market share was acquired was also a key factor and where the long series of lawsuits began. It took years for the various state justice systems to batch things up and bump it to the federal level.

The starting point was Microsoft forcing OEMs to buy a copy of MS-DOS and/or Windows for every computer that went out the door. Even when said computer didn't ship with any Microsoft software. This was also the foundation of the EU case against Microsoft, from a complaint by Novell originating in 1993.

Being able to set default programs only came as a resolution during the tail end of the lawsuits, due to evidence that Microsoft on both business and technical levels was abusing it's OS monopoly powers.

#366897 - 21/06/2016 21:55 Re: new goodies from Apple [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I recall that Windows always had the ability to set default programs for certain types of data. The only thing that differed was that the default *web browser* was forced to be IE in its early days.

#367028 - 30/06/2016 17:11 Re: new goodies from Apple [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Came across another, more detailed, Ars article on APFS:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/a-z...fs-file-system/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2