Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#37906 - 01/09/2001 19:12 Empeg overheating
amold
journeyman

recently, I've noticed that my empeg get extremely hot, even if it's run for less thant 1 hour.(In the car. haven't tested it at home yet).
The first time I noticed it was because the volume control knob stopped working. I pulled the unit out and you could fry an egg on that thing.
today, i happened to feel the heat by touching the faceplate, but didn't notice any problem with the unit's function.

I've taken it on 10 hour drives before where it's run without any problem, so the behaviour is new.

Since my warranty is close to expiring, should I send it in for a check up ?

#37907 - 02/09/2001 07:02 Re: Empeg overheating [Re: amold]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The unit can get pretty hot in operation, a lot of heat is generated by the display (so generally, the front gets hot first). It should be ok.

There is a fix for the slipping volume knob problem - email support and they will send you a new knob with a rubber insert. Later players (rio branded ones) use a rotary encoder with a flat on the shaft.

Hugo

#37908 - 02/09/2001 09:13 Re: Empeg overheating [Re: altman]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Has anyone had experience with their "new" o-ring modified knob slipping?
I have, and yes it is installed properly.
My question is, was the new knob designed not to slip in playing conditions? ie, if the unit is so hot that the
knob slips, it should have shut down thermally? If this is the case, my unit continues to play while the knob slips.

Mk2 #105 32g blue, w/tuner
Mk2 #105 60g

#37909 - 03/09/2001 06:42 Re: Empeg overheating [Re: MRHJr]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
This is the first time I've heard of one of the redesigned knobs slipping. Are you sure it's installed correctly? Friction with the O ring actually improves the hotter the player gets.

I've noticed that sometimes the O ring is pushed onto the shaft first, and then the knob on second - this won't usually work. All that happens is the O ring gets pushed to the bottom of the shaft, and interferes with it turning smoothly. Instead, the O ring must be fitted inside the knob and the entire assembly pushed onto the shaft.

Otherwise, maybe you have a faulty knob or encoder?

Rob

#37910 - 03/09/2001 16:31 Re: Empeg overheating [Re: rob]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
Nothing like being the first
It's definitely not the encoder, as there is no difinitive click in rotating the knob.
As far as the o-ring goes, I installed it inside knob, pushing it all the way down to it's resting stop, then with much finesse installing the knob on the shaft.

Out of curiousity, what is the thermal shutdown temperature?
By the way, this was experienced while installed in my boat, operating on a 100 degree+ day.
Am I pushing it? I have recently purchased a fan to help cool the unit, but haven't been to the lake to test it yet.

Mk2 #105 32g blue, w/tuner
Mk2 #105 60g

#37911 - 04/09/2001 03:28 Re: Empeg overheating [Re: MRHJr]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
There is no thermal shutdown as such; we reserve the right to add one though (the hardware is there).

The HDDs do have their own protection and will shut themselves down if it gets so hot they start having serious problems.

If your mounting does expose the player to more heat than usual (eg, in direct sunlight on your boat, etc) then a fan is probably a good idea, mounted directly above the fan holes on the unit ideally (sucking out from the case).

Hugo