Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#376 - 20/08/1999 02:09 MP3 Anywhere
PaulH
enthusiast

Loc: England
Some of you might find this intresting:

http://www.x10.com/mp3_x10/mp3_anywhere.htm

Then again you may not

PaulH

#377 - 20/08/1999 18:47 Re: MP3 Anywhere [Re: PaulH]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Wow! And to think I was going to waste my money buying an empeg. Of course, the maximum receiver range of 100 feet might be just a bit restrictive.... But maybe I could quit my job and find employment working in my neighbor's garden. No, that's no good, the commute would be too short to enjoy listening to my MP3 Anywhere unit. ;-)

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#378 - 20/08/1999 22:45 Re: MP3 Anywhere [Re: PaulH]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Thanks for the info.

Ramsey Electronics sells an FM stereo transmitter for about $30. This is better because you can tune any radio in the house to the mp3s. I have this setup and it works great. Even when outside.

-CHiP

#379 - 23/08/1999 09:01 Re: MP3 Anywhere [Re: CHiP]
PaulC
new poster

I found a Ramsey web site which seems to be all kits and do it yourself stuff. Is that what you're talking about. If there is a fully assembled/functional transmitter for $30, do you have a link? How noticable is the quality loss from using an FM transmitter?

#380 - 23/08/1999 09:16 Re: MP3 Anywhere [Re: PaulC]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Looks like you found the site. I know you can get the kits fully made. I'm not sure what the exact cost. It depends on the quality of the transmitter. I have the cheap one and the good one. The cheap one was $30 and works fine. The better one has dip switches that allow you to program the frequency that you want, and it has better control over the frequency.... meaning when the battery gets low, the transmitter stays locked on the frequency that it's transmitting on, unlike the $30 model that drifts a bit.

The sound quality is not bad. For playing around the house as ambient sound, it's excellent. It sounds like any local radio station. It doesn't have the dynamic range or frequency response that a CD player has, but it's good enough for what i use it for. IF you put one in your car, i'm sure it would sound just fine. At least as a temporary solution. ( i had it im my car for a few weeks, and worked fine.... i just needed a box of 9 volt batteries)

-CHiP