Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#40752 - 08/10/2001 08:30 empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Hi,

I have my tuner installed for a few days now and it has been working great! I haven't had the problems others have experienced, but I do have some problems which I haven't read about before (or I haven't searched the BBS very well?)

When I tune into a station on 104.1MHz, it stays there for a few seconds and then the player continuously reboots... If I press a button quickly enough after a reboot to have it do something else than listen to this station again, it keeps working fine! I've tried to solve this problem with different positions in the MP3 playlists, had the car off, on accessory, running, still the same error. I did a diagnostics check (on AC) and everything turned out fine. So I took my laptop into the car and recorded what was happening, I've attached the files to this post.

The other minor thing is this. I am hearing engine sounds over the speakers. They are quite noticable when there's a silent part in the audio. I occurs with MP3 and with the radio. When paused I doesn't show up! I didn't have this before I had the tuner module. What could be causing this behaviour?

The third minor issue concerns the rotary knob. I concerns all three sources (MP3, Radio, AUX). During the more silent parts in the audio I can hear the knob make audible clicks through the speakers. It's not loud, but certainly noticable. I haven't experienced this before, at least not that I know of, since I haven't used the rotary knob very often because it started slipping some months after I received the empeg. I have the fixed knob installed for a few weeks now and I use it alot more than before. Also, when the audio is paused, I doesn't occur.

Suggestions anyone?

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

Attachments
39680-empeg_bugs.zip (85 downloads)

#40753 - 08/10/2001 11:43 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: edwin]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
When I tune into a station on 104.1MHz, it stays there for a few seconds and then the player continuously reboots...

I have the exact same problem. My player reboots continuously when I listen to Dutch Radio 1, which broadcasts from Rotterdam at 90.2 MHz. You are probably tuning to the same station; 104.1 is Radio One as broadcast from Arnhem.

Here's a frequency list of Dutch public radio stations.

I think it has something to do with RDS, because the only time the player does not reboot is when reception is too bad for RDS to work.

Edited by pim on 08/10/01 08:05 PM.

#40754 - 08/10/2001 12:08 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: pim]
edwin

what station is on 104.1 MHz in your area?

The same as yours on 90.2 MHz!! Well, that sorts out this problem then. I hope v2.0 also solves this problem... Let's wait and see.

Greetz,

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

#40755 - 08/10/2001 13:07 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: edwin]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
When I tune into a station on 104.1MHz, it stays there for a few seconds and then the player continuously reboots...

Same thing from my location with the radio tuned into the same station (Radio1) at 94.3MHz from Haarlem.

Thus it *must* be the data that is transmitted, as you have it at 104.1; Pim at 90.2; and I at 94.3MHz!
Pim's probably right in assuming that it is caused by RDS data.

Also think of the bright side: This may require a field trip to resolve - excellent reasone for the empeg crew to attend another Amersfoort meet
(and only tell Rob once 2.00 beta has been released, later tonight)

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#40756 - 08/10/2001 13:38 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: Henno]
edwin

excellent reasone for the empeg crew to attend another Amersfoort meet

Yeah, but then again, they will not have much to show us like new developments concerning the empeg..

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

#40757 - 09/10/2001 04:38 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: edwin]
wvloon
journeyman

Loc: Near Arnhem, Netherlands
Hi Edwin,

It's the same over here (also 104.1/radio1) so this time it's most likely not your empeg/tuner but a more general (let's hope software) failure.

[email protected]
--------------------------------------
Reg:1934/Mk1:158-6Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-12Amber
[email protected] ------------------------ Reg:1934/Mk1:158-Blue(sold)/Mk2:380-Amber(sold)/Mk2a:3273-Blue

#40758 - 09/10/2001 05:15 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: wvloon]
edwin

Hey Walter!

I just got an official reply from support:

The rebooting at a certain frequency could be two things:

- A known bug with tuning that we believe has been resolved in 2.0

- Or it may be down to the station transmitting bad RDS packets - again, this may have been resolved in 2.0.

If you still get the problem with the soon-to-be-release 2.0 beta, email me with a list of steps to get a repeatable crash and I'll enter it into the bugs database.

Regards,
David

So now we'll have to wait for v2.0 to get released RRSN.

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

#40759 - 09/10/2001 06:08 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: Henno]
hendrik
new poster

Loc: Valthe, The Netherlands
Henno wrote:
"Thus it *must* be the data that is transmitted, as you have it at 104.1; Pim at 90.2; and I at 94.3MHz!
Pim's probably right in assuming that it is caused by RDS data."

Same problem here in Drenthe, but in my case it happens with Radio 3FM on 91.8 and... BNR on AM 1395, which has no RDS signal.

Hendrik
18Gb green
Hendrik #030102522 10Gb smoked by steve

#40760 - 09/10/2001 11:45 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other bugs [Re: edwin]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Ah haaa - don't worry about that, Edwin - although delayed, there will be new things to see at the next European meet, don't you worry!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#40761 - 15/10/2001 14:28 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other b [Re: edwin]
Captain_Chaos

Loc: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Just want to add my voice to this thread. I have this bug too; it's pretty annoying. The player doesn't really reboot all the way, only the player software restarts. It seems to happen when tuned to a station with RDS but poor reception.
/Pepijn

#40762 - 16/10/2001 01:01 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other b [Re: Captain_Chaos]
edwin

It seems to happen when tuned to a station with RDS but poor reception.

Actually, the quality of the reception has nothing to do with it. Here at my location Radio 1 is at full strength and still this 'bug' pops up... We'll have to wait for v2.0 and see.

Greetz,

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

#40763 - 19/10/2001 19:45 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other b [Re: edwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did this get fixed in version 2.0? Anyone check those stations?

#40764 - 20/10/2001 07:57 Re: empeg reboots on certain frequency and other b [Re: tfabris]
edwin

I just checked this particular station and the empeg keeps on playing fine, no reboots jipeee!

About those other two problems I experienced I can tell you:

1] installed a capacitor (2,2uF) between car engine (chassis) and the alternator's plus lead;
2] installed grounding wires between hood and side panel.

Result: no interference anymore because of alternator and rotary knob! I checked it before the upgrade to 2.00b3.

Case closed, then?!

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan