Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41217 - 10/10/2001 07:46 Bug/nuisance in search input parsing
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I just stumbled over a small bug/nuisance in the way the empeg parses/interprets the remote input in searches.
The situation is like this:
All of the Meatloaf MP3s I ripped are tagged with the correct spelling of his (artists) name, "Meatloaf". However, I also have some MP3s on my empeg I didn't rip myself, and among those are two or three of Meatloaf, this time misspelled as "Meat Loaf". Now when searching for Meatloaf-Songs, I enter "m" "e" "a" "t" "l" "o" "a" "f", and the resulting string is "Meat Loaf", note the space between the two syllables.
There seems to be no way for me to get to the songs that are correctly tagged ("Meatloaf"), at least not through the search function. Or did I miss something here?
Or do phrase it differently: How do I distinguish between a search for "XY" from a search for "XY"?

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#41218 - 10/10/2001 08:41 Re: Bug/nuisance in search input parsing [Re: smu]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
When I've had tracks that differ only in capitalisation (and I think maybe in whitespace), search has shown one but matched all. To tell them apart, it's necessary to select the result and then step through it looking for the mistyped one.

I don't know Emplode, but if that's what you use for uploading, does it have a search function? That may consider spaces significant.

TBH, I sometimes find the current behaviour useful - it's enabled me to spot duplicate tracks with slightly different names. Though I probably ought to write a better "fuzzy match" for catching duplicates outside of player mode...

--
Toby Speight - 040103385

#41219 - 10/10/2001 09:52 Re: Bug/nuisance in search input parsing [Re: smu]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If I understand you correctly, you enter the search characters for MEATL and it returns all instances of MEAT L (space) and MEATL (no space).

So if you press Enter when you see "Meat Loaf" selected on the screen, does it play all of the songs, both with and without the space? If so, that's the correct behavior, it's what you want, right?

As far as being able to find and fix those typos in the tags, Emplode 2.0 will make this brain-dead easy. It'll take you about eight seconds to find those files and fix them in Emplode.

If it were me, though, I still would go back and fix the bad tags on my hard disk, in case I ever needed to re-load the empeg. Remember that changes to the empeg's database don't get written back to the actual MP3 tags.

#41220 - 10/10/2001 10:17 Re: Bug/nuisance in search input parsing [Re: tfabris]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Remember that changes to the empeg's database don't get written back to the actual MP3 tags.

Wouldn't it be great if they could? It seems this could be done with a script to read the *1 fids and send that to some kind of cmd-line MP3 tagger. Anyone have experience with this? Or perhaps it could be built in to an Emplode Sync option, as the drives are mounted R/W at that point.
This should probably have gone in the Wish List forum, oh well.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#41221 - 10/10/2001 11:07 Re: Bug/nuisance in search input parsing [Re: Dearing]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
In reply to:

Wouldn't it be great if [changes to the empeg's database could get written back to the actual MP3 tags]? It seems this could be done with a script to read the *1 fids and send that to some kind of cmd-line MP3 tagger.

You'd need to update the *1 file with new offset (etc) afterwards...

--
Toby Speight - 040103385

#41222 - 10/10/2001 17:39 Re: Bug/nuisance in search input parsing [Re: Dearing]
synergy
enthusiast

In reply to:

Remember that changes to the empeg's database don't get written back to the actual MP3 tags.

Wouldn't it be great if they could?

Well...........

We're finishing up a modification to the old perl script for downloading your empeg to a hard drive using displayserver. Using the CPAN modules for mp3 tags, I'm basically taking the song name, album, and artist from Displayserver, and immediately after it's downloaded, it (optionally) writes the mp3 tag with that information.... Everything else stays the same. It wouldn't be hard to just do the retag if the file was already downloaded.

Should have it ready to release .... Right after V2.0 Beta is out....

Seriously, I'm going to try to finish it tomorrow....

It's not as good as Emplode doing it for us, but it's better than nothing... Doing it on the empeg itself would not be THAT hard, but I've got this love/hate relationship going on with Perl.