Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#48379 - 28/11/2001 22:39 Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Simple request for a simple feature. I'd love an option to allow the display of the Artist field next to the Title in the Now/Next text display.

If I'm playing entire albums, then it isn't very important, but if I'm doing a huge random list, then by title alone I often have no idea who will be performing the next song. Partly because there are a lot of identical song titles or at least similar ones in my record collection and I also don't memorize the titles of every band's songs. :)

I'd actually also really love to be able to see the artist name next to songs when doing a search by song title. It would make the results a lot more meaningful to me.

Bruno

#48380 - 29/11/2001 07:07 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: hybrid8]
CyberGlitch
journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I'll second this thread. I would enjoy this feature as well. Do not think it would be to dificult and would make it easier on larger random playlists to see who/what will be playing next. Maybe something like Title - Artists I would still like to see Title first and then artist after it. Maybe a setting in the config.ini so we can edit this easly and possably add other listings to the now & next screen.
Blue MK2 20 Gig #090000956 4796 Songs Available at all times.

#48381 - 29/11/2001 18:42 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: CyberGlitch]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Ditto. I NEVER use Now and Next for the exact reason that there is no artist listed.

#48382 - 29/11/2001 18:56 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: loren]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I NEVER use Now and Next for the exact reason that there is no artist listed.

I had to chuckle at that. Because nearly all my music is classical, and so many titles are the same (I mean, how many "Symphony #4, 4th Movement" titles are there!) I had to title all my music like "Beethoven-Symphony #4, 4th Movement", so I do have my artist name in my now and next. It never occurred to me that most people wouldn't be able to see their artists...

tanstaafl.

#48383 - 29/11/2001 21:47 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's also the reason I would never use now/next unless I was playing a specific album - but then I'd also love to see a track number.... I have all my files tagged with all sorts of great stuff, I wish we were provided with templates for adjusting what info gets displayed in the various text modes.

The only thing I would add to this, is of course, the fact that the currently playing track should also scroll to show all the text when in this mode. I'm sure 2.0 at least gives us the scrolling.

Off to write another suggestion I hope people get a kick out of.

Bruno

#48384 - 30/11/2001 04:14 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: hybrid8]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
It would make sense for the artist to be displayed only if it's not the same as for the current track; that way, you'd have the artist displayed when playing a compilation (e.g. shuffling the whole player), but not when playing a single band's album (when it would look silly and redundant).

#48385 - 30/11/2001 09:06 Re: Show Artist field in Now/Next Text Display [Re: hybrid8]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
In reply to:

I wish we were provided with templates for adjusting what info gets displayed in the various text modes.

This is along similar lines to something I've suggested in the past. Last I heard the Empeg team were debating whether this would be possible and how easy it would be to implement. You'll find similar threads here and here. My initial reply was prompted by a post from SE_Sport_Driver but as I said at the time, it had been something I'd been thinking about for some time. I wonder how far the Empeg team got with their discussions. Any Empeg guys care to comment?