Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#48678 - 14/12/2001 14:41 Re: A question for the Empeg guys [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Er... I guess... But you'd have to use the knob to do the horizontal scrolling,

Maybe I should have said *automatic* horizontal scrolling. The same type we have now in the 2.0 software.

There is no need for an entirely new methodology. The vertical capabilities already exist, they're just not being used as much or as well as they can be.

Making playlist names shorter doesn't buy you anything and isn't practical except for some generic top-levels anyway. I will not shorten the name of a band nor the name of an album under any circumstances.

Soup views and playlists are the same thing as far as this topic goes. This is a display and presentation issue, not an issue of field types. Presenting any soup information on one line in a horizontal fashion will lead to the exact same limitations.

Vertical scrolling allows you to see more than just the selection (track name, album name, artist name, whatever) - that's of major importance.

I don't find it enjoyable to scroll through an enormous list of bands horizontally. I also don't find it natural to look at tracks listed horizontally. Menus are fine, I'm used to a horizontal layout from using a Windowed operating system for 16 years. I'd even be fine with the top-most level being horizontal.

But I'd like vertical for navigating contents below the very top. And I'd like the ability to quickly jump up to the top of the list with one press as well (useful for when looking at a huge view). Not to mention some type of scroll acceleration when holding down the next button.

Anyway, I'm sure when soup views come online you'll see people SCREAMING for vertical scrolling. I don't see anyone having a nice time horizontally scrolling through a list of "ALL TRACKS" for instance.

Bruno

#48679 - 14/12/2001 14:53 Re: A question for the Empeg guys [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Who has said that soup views will be horizontal scrolling? I've seen nothing to suggest that...

#48680 - 14/12/2001 19:55 Re: A question for the Empeg guys [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If soup views are different than navigating playlists, then you'll have yet another mixture of paradigms to confuse things.

I certainly hope they're not horizontal. At the same time playlists are now, and should always be, useful. Soup views can be used to filter down your selection, but they can't provide for the refinements and non-logical possibilities that playlists provide.

I wanted to avoid asking for features like this until at least the next beta is out. Generally I think betas should be about knocking out bugs - new features should already be crammed in before something goes beta. :)

Bruno

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2