Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5109 - 20/08/1999 05:01 Where to install in a Saab 9-5?
Michael
new poster

I just ordered my player but I have no idea where I am going to install it in. I have a Saab 9-5 which comes with a two bay stereo system in the dash. There are no extra bays. I could rip out the factory stereo and put the empeg in the dash but I believe I would then loose the steering wheel volume controls, the integrated carphone features, the alarm system controls and various other features. No one I've talked to at Saab can turn up a single bay unit to provide these controls, and when I asked a guy at a local car audio place he told me there is no way to keep the factory unit and wire in an after-market component. Can this be true? He didn't look too clever to me.

#5110 - 20/08/1999 05:28 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: Michael]
0sb0rne
stranger

I would expect that it would depend on what type of stereo the manufacturer one is... If it is a normal DIN size stereo and the second bay is currently just covered over, then I don't see it being a problem hooking the empeg up to the external inputs ofthe factory stereo (assuming it has them in the first place) however, if the head unit in there is one of those one (which I think the saab is, certainly in the 900/9-3's) that is built to take up 2xDIN slots with 1 face size (to supposedly deter people from nicking them as they'll only fit in a saab) then I suspect the guy at the audio place was telling you the truth... :o(

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -

#5111 - 20/08/1999 07:56 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: 0sb0rne]
Michael
new poster

It is the 2xDIN type. Annoying. Is it possible to hook it up to the wiring currently in place for a cd changer?

#5112 - 20/08/1999 15:04 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: Michael]
falconvp
new poster

Loc: Central TX, USA
I was surprised to see someone else out there actually thinking of Empeg for the Saab 9-5.
I currently have a 9000Turbo, and am looking to purchase a 9-5 in the near future, and of
course need an Empeg for both.

I have contacted different Saab resources to find out about hooking up the Empeg.

So far, I know that the optional cd-changer hooks direct to the factory radio (RCA plugs),
and the Empeg should be able to hook-up the same.
As you know, the factory radio is also tied-into the computer-dash-display. Would
love to have it switch from standard display to Empeg's... : )

After driving a loaner 9-5 for a week, the only place I can think of to install it, is in the
slot just below the Automatic Climate Controls. However, the slot looks too small (on
the outside). I am still waiting on a phone call from a local Saab Dealer/Service Center
to give me some answers.

Please let me know what you find, and I will certainly do the same for you.

You may email me at: s a a b @ v v m . c o m

#5113 - 30/08/1999 10:18 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: falconvp]
Michael
new poster

I just got my unit. Man this is cool. Once you get a gander of the visuals you'll never consider putting this in some remote place. It's gotta be front and center. I think I'll ditch the factory head unit. I can live without it. I had been thinking about installing under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I'm off to the car audio place. I'll post my experience.

#5114 - 30/08/1999 15:19 Installing in Saab 9-5 is gonna be tough [Re: Michael]
Michael
new poster

Well my friend, I'm feeling mighty let down. The first examination does not come back positive. I took the unit and my Saab 9-5 to a local place for installation. The guy was happy with the configuration of the unit itself, but had attempted to replace the headunit in a 99 Saab before, to no avail. Remove the factory stereo and all the center dash displays will die. I can live without the phone integration and all that, but engine warnings, alarm system, temperature control...

We also talked about integrating into the factory wiring for the cd changer, they're looking into it. I suggested trying to wire a seperate system all together using the RCA outputs and hijacking the speaker wiring, but it turns out one can't have two systems plugged into the power source, or so they say.

To make this work well we will need to get a unit from Saab that does just the displays and leaves the audio to us, or maybe we can port the saab control system to Linux.

Damn Saab. I love the cars, but this is killing me. I was about to buy my wife a new Saab, maybe I'll give her mine and get myself an '88 Dodge. I gotta have the Empeg (and eventually so will my wife.) There's got to be a better solution. I've tried posting to the boards on www.saabnet.com, but have not gotten any responses yet.

#5115 - 02/09/1999 16:28 Re: Installing in Saab 9-5 is gonna be tough [Re: Michael]
falconvp
new poster

The next thing I was gonna think of trying (when I get my Empeg, that is)... is to ask the Empeg folks
to maybe make the face-plate with buttons, somehow detached while still wiredup, and just
mount the face in that spot just below the Automatic Climate Controls; and then put the main
unit under driver's seat.

That, or maybe sending my Empeg to Sweden before I fly over there to pick up my 9-5.
(I plan to purchase through the IDS program).

#5116 - 03/09/1999 13:36 Re: Installing in Saab 9-5 is gonna be tough [Re: Michael]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Michael --

I showed your posting to "my" Stereo Shop [blatant advertising plug: Audio Advisors of Fairbanks, Alaska] where the shop owner has at least 10 years experience installing high end automotive audio and security equipment, and who has all the computer information and resources necessary for even difficult installations.

I'm afraid his news was not encouraging. He said he would not attempt to integrate anything into the already tightly integrated Saab electronics, at least not on a customer car. If he had a Saab of his own, he might be tempted to experiment.

The best suggestion he had was to build a totally isolated system around the empeg, do not use any factory wiring, all the way from empeg to amplifiers to speakers. This does not solve your problems of where to mount the empeg or the amplifiers.

Uhh, one of the guys who works with me has a 1988 Dodge pickup for sale. Should I tell him you're interested?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#5117 - 06/11/1999 05:14 Re: 2 Installing in Saab 9-5 is gonna be tough [Re: Michael]
falconvp
new poster

A local SAAB dealer was able to give me copies
of the wiring diagram for the 9-5's radio and CD-changer.

It shows which wires on the cable are for power, left-right speaker, etc.

You could ask your local dealer for this, or if you can't get it, just email
me, and I could send it to you.

My number in queue for Empeg has not come yet (#5995), but when it does,
I will definitely be putting it in my 9-5 (somehow).

[email protected] (that's @ v v m . c o m )

#5118 - 05/04/2000 01:15 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: Michael]
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
Hi,
I want to find out how you ended up installing you player in your SAAB 9-5. I just purchased a '99 Saab 9-3 and would be grateful if you would describe anything that I should tell the installed concerning the installation. I haven't really asked many people about installing it but what I've decided to do for now (unless there is a way to replace the head unit) is install the unit in the glove box. Maybe, the installer can be really clever and install a switch near the driver's seat which will automatically open the glove box and even have a motorized slide for the player to slide up and aim toward the driver. Wouldn't that be cool. Anyway, I hope you still frequent this board and will reply to my message soon.

Tom

Reg_2845 Serial #00173
Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

#5119 - 05/04/2000 19:10 Re: Where to install in a Saab 9-5? [Re: Liufeng]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hooray for you, Tom. You finally got rid of that pickup truck and are putting your empeg in a real listening environment. There is at least one stereo shop in Anchorage that can do a really good job for you -- can't remember the name of the place, they're on the Old Seward Highway just past the muffler shop. If you haven't already done so, go by and ask them about Saab installations.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"