Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#52770 - 31/12/2001 01:55 Warranty & what about firmware upgrades? ..VR?
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have 3 questions:

1. what will happen to the Warranty on these empeg car units? I’m assuming you’re out of luck if your unit breaks and can’t be fixed without replacing a screen, motherboard, or something that you can’t just get at a computer store….. I mean, if I need a part to be replaced, who will help me? I’m sure most of the parts can be replaced, maybe some of the empeg guys would want to do repairs on the side? Or will SB take care of the customers?

2. firmware and software for the units. - what will happen in 1 year from now, 2 years from now when we’re still using the empeg’s in our cars, will the empeg (or SB - whoever) guys still be around working on software releases? I’m sure other people will work on software for the players, but Hugo and his team gave birth to these units, and I’m sure they would know more then anyone who trys to program software for this thing. I’m sure its not as easy as it sounds.

3. What is the future of VR? Will anyone be around to work on this aspect of the project? Will we have to pay for software upgrades?

Will we be stuck with having to start from scratch if we want to add new features?

I’m sorry if this was already discussed, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

#52771 - 31/12/2001 04:39 Re: Warranty & what about firmware upgrades? ..VR? [Re: CHiP]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
what will happen to the Warranty on these empeg car units?

The warranty, service and support haven't changed.

what will happen in 1 year from now, 2 years from now when we’re still using the empeg’s in our cars

How can anyone predict what will happen in 2 years time? I don't know what I'll be doing next year or the year after, but for what it's worth we've been at it for three years and going strong. If you only get one more software upgrade, then that's one more than you would get for most any other head unit you might buy. I'm sure there will be a lot more than one though!

What is the future of VR?

We have the development licences to continue this as a research project, but it's not a 2.x feature. Whether it will ship, and whether it will be free, I have no idea. If a road mapped product were to require VR then I suspect that would bode well for the EOL car player.

Rob

#52772 - 31/12/2001 11:27 Re: Warranty & what about firmware upgrades? ..VR? [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
For the record, This stuff is already in the FAQ.

#52773 - 01/01/2002 00:23 Re: Warranty & what about firmware upgrades? ..VR? [Re: rob]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
How can anyone predict what will happen in 2 years time?

C'mon the Japanese plan up to 100 years in advance, what gives?
The player works now as-is, yes the software does need to be finalized but other than I have conflicting issues w/no VR I'm very satisfied.