Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#55143 - 04/01/2002 21:18 Just got my riocar... and it's missing
beggohbee
new poster

the freakin' power supply!! omfg i'm so mad.... how could they possibly forget to put that in the box?? ahh well guess i have to wait until i can contact someone there, which will probably take forever..... sigh. btw anyone have any experience running this unit through an aftermarket pioneer headunit? i was wondering if there would be a noticeable SQ difference running it through the auxilary input....

#55144 - 04/01/2002 21:31 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: beggohbee]
Fastrack

Loc: Toronto, Ontario Canada
Hey that sucks that you didn't get your power supply! But you can use any 12V DC power supply as long as the tip is (+), in this case it's the inner part of the barrel connector.

I run my Empeg (Rio Car) into the AUX in of my Pioneer 9200R it sounds great! I can't tell between it and a CD! (My files are encoded at 192kbps CBR.

#55145 - 04/01/2002 22:10 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: Fastrack]
ClownBurner

Loc: Irvine, CA USA
Almost any power supply will work, but *DO* make sure that it's:

1) at least 1A (preferably 1.2A) at 12V, and
2) the jack is 2.1mm diameter so you don't damage the connector

Radio Shack will have it for around $16 if you're in the US...

#55146 - 05/01/2002 03:40 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: ClownBurner]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
IBM thinkpad supplies do it nicely.

#55147 - 05/01/2002 04:24 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: beggohbee]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Power supplies aren't packed by the store - that should have been done during production, about a year ago. We've heard of several that are missing, but we have plenty of spares at the support site here in Cambridge, so email [email protected] and we'll get one out to you on Monday.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Rob

#55148 - 05/01/2002 08:18 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: beggohbee]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
For those that missed it earlier, you can also use a IBM Thinkpad power supply. Works quite well.

#55149 - 05/01/2002 09:11 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: ClownBurner]
jloew
journeyman

Loc: SF Bay Area
I would suggest NOT going over the 1amp specified on the device. Voltage is less important, but the higher the volts and amps, the higher the wattage. I just wouldn't want the poor guy to mess up his new toy!

I had the same problem and have similarly requested from carssupport@ to get a replacement.

#55150 - 05/01/2002 09:20 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: jloew]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I think you might be a bit confused here. The device (the Player in this case) will only draw as much current as it needs. You could have a 12v 20A supply if you wanted and it wouldn't affect the Player. The Voltage must be within the stated range and it must be able to supply the Current required as a minimum.

#55151 - 05/01/2002 21:01 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: rob]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Take Rob up on this. I asked the guys in Cambridge to send me a new rotary knob and I got it shipped over the Atlantic in a matter of days. Great service.

#55152 - 07/01/2002 13:30 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: beggohbee]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
the freakin' power supply!! omfg i'm so mad.... how could they possibly forget to put that in the box?? ahh well guess i have to wait until i can contact someone there, which will probably take forever.....

Or, you could go here and probably get one in less time than SB customer service would have you on hold. These work really well, and are so cheap that I bought several of them just so I would always leave one plugged in wherever I might want to play my empeg.

As a matter of fact, my new 10GB player also arrived without a power supply, but I have enough of them that I never gave it a thought. I certainly am not going to ask the good folks at Cambridge to spend $20 shipping me one!

btw anyone have any experience running this unit through an aftermarket pioneer headunit? i was wondering if there would be a noticeable SQ difference running it through the auxilary input....

You might be better off to do it the other way 'round: run the Pioneer through the auxilliary inputs of the empeg to take advantage of empeg features like the parametric equalizer when you play CDs.

Oh, wait -- I bet your're asking because you want to use the amplifier built into the Pioneer, right? You will almost certainly get different sound quality than you would running the empeg through its own amplifier, but better/worse is too subjective to make a definitive statement. You might like it better that way, or worse. It's what you like that matters.

But [he says, climbing onto his soap box] to truly get the most from your player, you really, truly should give it it's own amplifier and a subwoofer. Just a single 10" sub will give your music dimension you don't know you're missing until you hear it -- and then you won't be able to live without it. No amount of proselytizing on my part will convince you of this -- you have to hear it for yourself. [climbs off soap box]

Good luck with your install -- you are really going to enjoy this player, more than you think even in your current enthusiasm. You can't really "get it" until you have played with it yourself for a few weeks.

tanstaafl.

#55153 - 07/01/2002 15:06 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: rob]
dmob
journeyman

Loc: Boston
I tried emailing a request for a power supply to [email protected] and I got the email returned twice. Once for "Mail Server is down or unreachable." and once for "The recipient name is not recognized"

Any suggestions?

#55154 - 07/01/2002 15:24 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: dmob]
Alan

Loc: Cedar Grove , IN
That happened to me twice today, about my missing power supply.

#55155 - 07/01/2002 16:05 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: dmob]
Pimpbot
new poster

#55156 - 16/01/2002 08:39 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: beggohbee]
hussein
stranger

You're not the only one. I just got my 10 gig - after the SonicBlue store said it was sold out - and guess what, no power supply.

But I'm so happy the unit came in. I heard about the fire sale as I was backpacking through the world and typed in my order sometime on Jan 3, after everyone said my only option was Ebay price gougers.

If Thinkpad power supplies work, for the time being, I'll use that.

BTW, is 2.0 with WMA support out?

#55157 - 16/01/2002 11:10 Re: Just got my riocar... and it's missing [Re: hussein]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
No, WMA isn't in the current beta (2.0b7), but I think I saw a post about them aiming to have the licensing issue resolved when 2.0 final arrives.

About the power supply, contact customer support and they should send you one.

/Michael