Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56306 - 08/01/2002 00:02 'Bottom' key sticks
mdinh
new poster

Argh! I just got my 10GB empeg and have been playing around with it for about 30 mins. The 'bottom' key tends to stick if I hold it down for more than a split second. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix? I don't want to send it back to SB quite yet. Does the problem fix itself as the button gets worn in?

I've updated the player already to the new beta7 software + beta7 consumer firmware/flash.

Overall I like what I see with the player so far. One thing I haven't figured out is how to browse through the collection (e.g., navigate by Artist -> Album -> Song. This is the structure of my hdd mp3 collection). Is this possible or are you suppose to just use the playlist feature? ...I probably need to fiddle with emplode some to figure this out.

-Mark

EDIT: OK...fiddled around with emplode a bit more. Now I understand how playlists work, kinda. It's going to take some time figuring this thing out. From the posts, it seems like people love having something like emplode to manage their music rather than managing it themselves via a directory structure.

Edited by mdinh (08/01/2002 00:07)

#56307 - 08/01/2002 00:10 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: mdinh]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Try changing the tension on those hex screws around the facia. Sometimes they get over tightened and you may experience key sticking.

Congratulations on your new toy!

Tim

#56308 - 08/01/2002 00:31 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: mdinh]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
EDIT: OK...fiddled around with emplode a bit more. Now I understand how playlists work, kinda. It's going to take some time figuring this thing out. From the posts, it seems like people love having something like emplode to manage their music rather than managing it themselves via a directory structure.

Emplode only manages the songs on your Rio products. It will not synchronise to the structure of your hdd. to easily create playlist in emplode from directories on the hdd, simply drag the directory into emplode>playlist and the structure will be created automatically. I'm sure there's a FAQ on this.
Also note that the structure of the playlists is totally user created. the structures in the soup views is determined by the tags in your songs.

After syncing, you can move/rename/delete the songs/directories on the hdd without affecting the empeg. I personally migrate all the songs onto CDs to keep room on my drive, but it's up to you

#56309 - 08/01/2002 14:47 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: muzza]
mdinh
new poster

Thanks for the tips. I'll try loosing the screw a little bit to see if helps with the button sticking. It's an extremely annoying problem.

I think I will go ahead and drag my hdd directory structure to the playlist directory. I am pretty disappointed with the file upload speed. It's not much faster (if that) than copy files onto my Archos Jukebox (via USB). I was really looking forward to uploading my 20GB collection in a reasonable amount of time. Looks like I might have to batch it.

I read the FAQ and the author says not to upload files using the beta software. I've already updated my player to 2.0beta7. Should/can I downgrade the player firmware/flash (or whatever it's called) to the non-beta version before uploading all my files?

#56310 - 08/01/2002 14:50 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: mdinh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Should/can I downgrade the player firmware/flash (or whatever it's called) to the non-beta version before uploading all my files?

Yes.

#56311 - 08/01/2002 21:09 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: tfabris]
topaz_monkey
stranger

Loc: Dallas, TX
Why is this?

#56312 - 08/01/2002 21:37 Re: 'Bottom' key sticks [Re: topaz_monkey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Because of the definition of "Beta".

The 2.0 betas aren't rock-solid with synchs yet. 1.03 is rock solid.