Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56313 - 08/01/2002 00:25 Tivo Status
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
Okay .. since GetConnected.com has a deal on a free directivo and satellite ... this brought around an "okay" from the wife.

This is where it gets hairy. They say that professional installation is mandatory. I'm actually going to put the satellite in the closet and use a series of filters and switches to receive my satellite signal from Southwestern Bell's dish on our apartment complex ... without their knowledge. My apartment doesn't face the southern sky. They send the signal into all the apartments then lease out those crappy sony receivers.

I'm going to hijack that signal into my own receiver though a whole bunch of goodies, so that I can pay directTV and tivo directly rather than have to muck with Southwestern Bell.

The hardware is supposed to arrive in a week or so. They're going to have their professional installer contact me for an apointment to come out.

I guess I'll tell him (after I have the box and satellite in hand) that his services aren't needed anymore. I wonder how they'll take it?

Greg

#56314 - 08/01/2002 11:40 Re: Tivo Status [Re: grgcombs]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
They might get upset by that and decide to charge you money. If the installation service isn't outrageously priced, I'd suggest you pay for it and then have the professional installer not do anything.

#56315 - 08/01/2002 12:01 Re: Tivo Status [Re: wfaulk]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
Ayup, that's what I'd do, pay the man to leave it alone. If they have a credit card number of yours on file, they'll charge you. I've seen deals like this and the fine print is where they stick it to you... Usually they charge you a couple hundered extra if it's not activated in 30 days, but never seen one about pro install being the hook. Good luck.

#56316 - 08/01/2002 12:10 Re: Tivo Status [Re: davec]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
The only thing that I've seen that requires professional installation is two-way satellite becuase of FCC regulations (the radio is emiting) and to commision the site with DirecTV's hub... I don't know why they'd require professional install for a Tivo though...

#56317 - 08/01/2002 12:46 Re: Tivo Status [Re: wfaulk]
grgcombs
addict

The service is free as well ... so does that mean I should probably tip him to leave it alone?

Greg

#56318 - 08/01/2002 15:06 Re: Tivo Status [Re: grgcombs]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That's very weird. So you're saying that your retailer requires that you get it professionally installed, but the installation is already paid for, and you got a good deal. I don't see any advantage to anyone anywhere by requiring the professional installation. I'd wait for the guy to show up and tell him that you don't need anything done. Tip him if it feels right when he's there. I would suggest that you go ahead and call the installation guys before they bother to show up, but they might report your non-compliance back to your retailer, while the install guy probably won't.

#56319 - 08/01/2002 15:32 Re: Tivo Status [Re: wfaulk]
grgcombs
addict

I think when they call to schedule an appointment, if they're bringing my hardware with them, I'll say "come on out, but it'll probably be a non-standard installation..." not giving any details, but warning them anyway. Then when the guy shows, I'll explain that I'm capable of doing it myself, and explain that I already have a satellite signal coming in to the apartment, so this dish setup isn't needed.

If I already have the hardware when they call, I'll say ... "oops, I guess I already hooked it up myself. Don't worry about it."

Greg

#56320 - 09/01/2002 06:58 Re: Tivo Status [Re: grgcombs]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Could you simply hide your "extra" equipment?

#56321 - 09/01/2002 07:24 Re: Tivo Status [Re: wfaulk]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
that was the same thing roadrunner did when they installed my cable medem free hardware but they have to come out.

Matt