Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6181 - 08/10/1999 09:21 playlist stuff
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
dont know if this exists already, seeing as how i dont have an empeg yet :), but is there any way to jump from one playlist to another? say i am listening to a playlist of every song on the unit, and a misfits song comes on. i decide i am in the mood to listen to the misfits. is there any way to hit a button and jump to a misfits playlist from the "everything" playlist? just thought this might be a nice feature, but not sure of how possible that is to do.

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#6182 - 11/10/1999 08:18 Re: playlist stuff [Re: jstrain]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
You can Assign a PIN to whatever playlist(or track) you want. I have PINs assigned to my They Might Be Giants (TMBG=8624), Pink Floyd, etc. playlists, so when I'm in the mood for a particular group, I'm just a buttonpush or two away...ok, maybe 6, but at least I don't have to look at the screen while I'm driving.

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#6183 - 13/10/1999 17:47 Re: playlist stuff [Re: Dearing]
brianosaurus
new poster

I think I want something more like the original poster suggested...

So many times over the last few days, the empeg has gotten to a song by some artist, and I think "Oh! I want to hear this other song by them", but can't easily get there. If I could hit something to "stick with this artist" or whatever, that would rule. Then maybe have a way to go back.

Kind of like the button on a TV remote that lets you switch between the last 2 channels... While listening, hit it to switch to THIS artist, then hit again to go back to the previous playlist.

brian

#6184 - 14/10/1999 00:06 Re: playlist stuff [Re: brianosaurus]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Me too!

I bet that many of us have found back forgotten tracks and albums through empeg's magnificent shuffle playlist capabilities. At least I use a lot. Displaying title (the one button press on right hand side of the remote) does not provide sufficient info to find it back. A 'jump to this playlist' option would be very welcome, to continue playing that album, or from there walk upwards through the plays list hierarchy.

I also would like to store the current position in a playlist, but I'll create a new thread on this
Henno

#6185 - 14/10/1999 05:07 Re: playlist stuff [Re: Henno]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We're shortly adding a "play more tunes by this artist" button, though this works by scanning the rest of the current playlist and moving tunes from the current artist to the following play positions (trust me, it works) - jumping to a playlist is hard, as a tune can be in more than one playlist, and there is no "preferred" parent.

Bookmarking of playlists is coming too, allowing you to save your playlist (and position) - good for things like switching between an audio book and a music playlist, or different drivers of the car having their own saved position.

Hugo

#6186 - 14/10/1999 11:30 Re: playlist stuff [Re: altman]
brianosaurus
new poster

No f-ing way! Audio books?!?!?!

That rocks! (well, I suppose the *music* rocks... the books are just a hella cool idea)

#6187 - 14/10/1999 11:52 Re: playlist stuff [Re: brianosaurus]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
You can get some free audiobooks in mp3 format from
http://www.audible3.com
or go to their normal site
http://www.audible.com
buy and download some in their format, and convert them (by recording the output via the what u hear on an sblive, and re-encode)
Actually, that sounds like too much effort.. =)
Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#6188 - 14/10/1999 15:55 Re: playlist stuff [Re: altman]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i would assume that this means if i have 30 zeppelin songs in a particular playlist, one of them comes on and i hit that button, the next 29 songs will be zeppelin? can these be ff/rew through just like a regular playlist? also, is that playlist permanantly altered until later, or after you've had your fill of zeppelin, can you reshuffle the zeppelin tracks back to other spots in the playlist.

everything sounds like it is progressing well. certainly wish i had one to test all this stuff on, but whatcha gonna do...

thanks,

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#6189 - 14/10/1999 16:42 Re: playlist stuff [Re: jstrain]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It permanently alters the playlist, but yes you can skip through them as normal - every time you hit the button it puts one track onto the end, so if you hit it 4 times you'll get the next 4 tracks from the band currently playing.

Hugo

#6190 - 14/10/1999 17:23 Re: playlist stuff [Re: altman]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Just to clarify what Hugo has said: The term playlist is used to mean two things within the player - we'll have to try to think of a different name for one of them.

Stored playlists are created by emplode and it is not possible to change these from the player.

The current playlist is a simple list of tracks that should be played, in the order that they will be played. This is built by flattening and applying options on the player, usually when you select a playlist from the playlists menu.

It is the current playlist that is altered when you select "next track by same artist" - the stored playlists remain unaltered.

Hmm, maybe running order would be a better name for current playlist. Then again...

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6191 - 15/10/1999 09:07 Play by X [was: Re: playlist stuff] [Re: altman]
Deanster
stranger

Loc: Ventura, California, USA
> We're shortly adding a "play more tunes by this artist" button, though this works by scanning
> the rest of the current playlist and moving tunes from the current artist to the following play
> positions (trust me, it works)

Ummm...this is a fairly obvious suggestion but what about making new versions of your "play
by year" option that let's you "play by artist," "play by album", or "play by genre?"

yours, Dean