Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6266 - 19/10/1999 15:46 Play By X
Deanster
stranger

Loc: Ventura, California, USA
I posted this down in the guts of another thread and
decided it might be worthy of it's own thread.

What about making new versions of the "play by year"
option that let's you "play by artist," "play by album", or
"play by genre?"

yours, Dean

#6267 - 19/10/1999 17:06 Re: Play By X [Re: Deanster]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
I would like that too , using the mp3 ID tags..

Then i could just make playlists based on mood, an just use the mp3 id tags to play by artist name , genre or year automatically.

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#6268 - 19/10/1999 23:50 Re: Play By X [Re: Deanster]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

Those functions have always been in the "coming soon" list.

Rob

#6269 - 20/10/1999 02:07 Re: Play By X [Re: JeepBastard]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Then i could just make playlists based on mood, an just use the mp3 id tags to play by artist name , genre or year automatically.

Why can't you create playlists for both mood and artist/genre etc?

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6270 - 20/10/1999 12:56 Re: Play By X [Re: mac]
brianosaurus
new poster

> Why can't you create playlists for both mood and artist/genre etc?

Why should I have to?

The genre is there in the database already. So is the artist. In fact the "more by this artist" feature that one of you guys described already takes advantage of this. A "Play by keyword" thing could scan through the comments field (or any fields for that matter) and play songs matching a word. That gives the mood search.

I've been thinking about this stuff for a while. Aside from when I want a very specific mix of songs, the computer should really be doing the work for me. I shouldn't have to build hundreds of linked playlists. It would be so nice to just have an "Add song" form that uses the ID3 tags (like emplode does) and lets me edit and add comments (like emplode does), and then I'm done.

From then on, the database could work for me. I say I want to hear more David Bowie, and it goes and fetches David Bowie songs. I say I want to hear happy music, and it scans the comments for the word "happy".

Once I get the unix tools running on my box (still waiting on source so I can build for FreeBSD ;), I can write a perl program to build playlists from the meta data. Then I'll be mostly there.

The next step would be a dynamic playlist. But that's another topic...and another post...

brian