Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#63989 - 28/01/2002 13:56 Empeg + BMW = Need Advice
jdwango
new poster

I have a 97 318is, I want to install the empeg in to the shallow din slot below the temp/time gauge. Is this possible? I really dont want to remove my stock stereo from the car. Any suggestions. Also how complicated is the job can some one at crutchfield be able to do this.

Thanks
JD

#63990 - 29/01/2002 00:22 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: jdwango]
redbutt2

Loc: San Diego, CA
You can call Crutchfield and ask them. Easy or not, they can probably sell you the harneses and plugs you will need. There's plenty of pics on here of other installs. Have a look to see what you would be getting into.

#63991 - 29/01/2002 07:28 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: redbutt2]
NicolasW
journeyman

Loc: USA
I don't think there is enough depth there. You should be able to easily remove the on board computer (above the DIN slot) and then remove the sunglass shelf.

I think there is either a bunch of climate control stuff back there or the transmission tunnel + carpet + sound deadening.

What's wrong with your normal DIN slot where the radio goes? In my 1995 M3 the RioCar fits perfectly, and looks very 'stock'.

Good luck!
Wes

#63992 - 29/01/2002 13:55 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: NicolasW]
jdwango
new poster

Do you have a picture of it? I love the way the original oem looks I dont want to mess with it. Also I figured it might be easy to connect the stock radio/casseste to the aux in of the Empeg and them use it to run the whole system. What do you think..?

#63993 - 29/01/2002 20:27 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: jdwango]
NicolasW
journeyman

Sorry, no picture. Can you just take a look for yourself? If I had a digital camera I would take a picture, but I don't. (I know, I have an EMPEG...but no digital camera?!?!)

Anyway, how were you going to hook your stock head unit to the EMPEG? The output from the stock head unit is a line level to the factory amp....I suppose you could splice RCA's to those line level cables but then you still have to somehow get the EMPEG signal to the factory amp, or bypass it and put in your own amp. Then comes the wiring up of all the speakers.....as you travel down the slippery slope that one calls BMW stereo upgrading!

Good luck!
Wes

#63994 - 30/01/2002 02:36 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: NicolasW]
jdwango
new poster

Maybe its not possible, but shouldnt it be easy to just hook up the line livel of the stock head unit to the aux in of the empeg and then use the factory amp for driving the speakers. Is it connect the empeg to the factory amp?
About the speaker wiring, arent they just wired to the factory amp. Please tell me if this is possible at all.. I know quite a bit about home stereos, but when it comes to car stereos, Im quite clueless.

#63995 - 30/01/2002 07:45 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: jdwango]
NicolasW
journeyman

You could probably solder RCA's to the output of the stock headunit, and connect those RCA's to the AUX input of the EMPEG, then run RCA's from the output of the EMPEG back to soldered on RCA's that go to the factory amp.

But there's one problem, if I remember correctly, the line level out for the stock head unit isn't just a left and right signal, it's a left-right signal for the front, and a left-right signal for the rear. So, you'd have to not only splice RCA connectors to those wires, you'd have to put a Y-connector on them so you don't lose any signal! This could get messy.

See http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/stereo/ for more information about the wiring setup.

Good luck!!
Wes

#63996 - 31/01/2002 01:44 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: NicolasW]
Bryce
stranger

Loc: Sunny Isles Beach, FL
I own a '97 M3 and was thinking of doing the same thing as the original poster (but possibly re-locating the stock unit down low for easier Empeg removal). I've been using an Empeg with my home stereo for a few weeks now and absolutely love it, especially compared to the nearly useless Rio (nee, Dell) Receiver under it... but I don't want to give up the option of playing cassettes and CDs if I do not absolutely have to.

Has anyone tried this? Can anyone state for certain that there is (or is not) enough room behind the sunglass holder or OBC?

Two possibilities come to mind for inputs, since going straight to the amp is a poor option. The simplest would be to use an RF adapter (ala after-market CD changers). The other would be to use the CD changer inputs, but that probably involves more hackery than is worthwhile -- especially if trying to retain use of an existing changer.

#63997 - 17/02/2002 17:25 Re: Empeg + BMW = Need Advice [Re: Bryce]
Bryce
stranger

Loc: Sunny Isles Beach, FL

I finally got around to popping out the OBC and sunglass holder. Quite easy to do, gotta love those Germans. The space available back there is several inches short.

Pity.