Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6655 - 01/02/2000 20:58 Mk.3 Display Suggestion
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I've brought up the idea of a new display several times. Not many people have commented on it, though. I don't know whether that's because no one thinks it's a good idea or whether they don't see a benefit of it. Anyhow, I had suggested that the Empeg folks consider using a multi-color display with a higher resolution. I was browsing Pioneer's website and saw this totally cool thing called Organic EL. If you want to see how really futuristic this display is and what the possibilities are, go take a look at the following pages. I suggest you view them in the order I listed them, as the last two give the absolute greatest example of how to use such a display.

Picture 1
Picture 2
GIF 1
GIF 2

An explanation of the technology can be found here:

Technology

So, what do all of you think? Hugo? Rob? Is this something that may be within reach for the Empeg? I see the possibility for some truly radical visuals somewhere down the pipeline! With Empeg's software and Prolux's visuals, the ability to program the display to show whatever you want, is just endless... as opposed to what Pioneer is doing with it and hardcoding the visuals in, with no hope for the user to EVER be able to change what THEY (Pioneer) decides you should see!

p.s.
Thanks to Verement, who's posts I blatantly ripped the HTML code from to make those links with. I had no clue how to do it myself.

George

#6656 - 01/02/2000 21:11 Re: Mk.3 Display Suggestion [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
yup! thats on the pioneer DEHP-8000 or whatever.. it rocks. seen it in person. amazing.. i think we can bring some nice animation like that home to the EMPEG mark I and mark II

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
http://www.iretro.com

#6657 - 02/02/2000 03:21 Re: Mk.3 Display Suggestion [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Organic EL is very nice: currently it's slightly immature though. From what I've seen of OEL displays, they have to invert them regularly in order to normalise pixel life! (watch any OEL unit in demo mode).

They're also not colour - there are fixed colour areas (no red - OEL red is very hard to get currently).

When the OEL units were announced I talked to various manufacturers (Kodak hold the patents but Pioneer manufacture their own displays under licence - unusual for a company not generally known as a display manufacturer), but most said it wasn't worth it currently and it'd be best to wait a year or two for the technology to mature.

Hugo