Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#67485 - 05/02/2002 21:07 Stopping/Resterting Player from remote (HTTP)
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Just thought I would mention these two simple arguments. So simple that some people might just overlook them.

Since Mark has added serial command passing through the "serial=" parameter on the URL, you can use this to quit and launch the player software. This will probably require the developer software installation (which would allow you to drop to a BASH command prompt when not running the player software):

"http://empeg.ip.address/?serial=q" - will send a "q" quitting the player software. The empeg would be left sitting at a bash prompt (viewable from a serial connection).

"http://empeg.ip.address/?serial=player" - will send "player" and a carriage return (or linefeed - a RETURN nonetheless). This will relaunch the player software.

You can pretty much do whatever you would normally type on the command line over a serial connection, except you won't be able to see the output.

The above ability to quit the player softwre is suefull because it frees up a lot of CPU/disk I/O for HTTP streaming purposes. So you can make a small HTML file, toss it on the root of your player with a couple of links to do the quit and then a link to the "?playlists" directive.

Just don't tell other people about the "serial=" abilities if you don't trust them not to mount your partitions RW and then start deleting things - or running fsck, etc.

Bruno

#67486 - 06/02/2002 14:41 Re: Stopping/Resterting Player from remote (HTTP) [Re: hybrid8]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
This was sharp . I would, however, use 'exit' instead of 'player' to restart it (kicks the shell out of the memory).
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue