Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6803 - 28/02/2000 03:37 menu layout
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
OK - we're on the wishlist, right?
the menu - for the most part, awesome... but a couple of things would make more sence to me:

The visuals - I think we've already discussed that we need an easier way to pick visuals, but the visuals control from the four-buttons is confusing at best, considering that you can't see the visual you're adjusting and instead just see the pointless forward/backwards on top of the visual...

playlist selection - I can't count the number of times that I've selected a playlist, with the intent of playing the songs in order, just to find out I'm in shuffle mode. The only remedy? Navigate the entire playlist structure again and find that same CD in non-shuffle mode...

playlist info - in search and in playlist browse, I wish there was another button we could press to get more info about that song. Especially in serach, often times song names are similar - when doing a title search pressing another button to get the artist name/playlist name would be extremely helpful. It would also be helpful to be able to play the playlist in question when in this search mode....

Info Button Although I think the scrolling info line at the buttom is neat, the info button would be better used as a three-position info button.. I find myself frequently flipping through all the visuals just to get the name of the album I'm in (especially when acting in shuffle mode..) the three position info button could be a toggle switch switching between these functions:
  • visual w/ info line

• full screen info

• visual by itself

• Just my .02$ worth...
    -mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#6804 - 28/02/2000 05:43 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    rob
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
    Your suggestions relating to visuals are already in the next release.

Rob

#6805 - 28/02/2000 07:14 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    john
    stranger

Loc: London, UK
    > The visuals - I think we've already discussed that we need an easier way to pick visuals, but the
    > visuals control from the four-buttons is confusing at best, considering that you can't see the visual
    > you're adjusting and instead just see the pointless forward/backwards on top of the visual...

We're looking at naming the visuals and then selected from a list, with the ability to select 'modify' visuals independently (like rotate/zoom/morph effects). While internally it can already do this, there's a lot of work to get the UI in place and support from the visuals. We're definitely addressing this, though.

> Info Button Although I think the scrolling info line at the buttom is neat, the info button would be
    > better used as a three-position info button.. I find myself frequently flipping through all the visuals
    > just to get the name of the album I'm in (especially when acting in
    > shuffle mode..) the three position info button could be a toggle switch switching between these
    > functions:
    > visual w/ info line
    > full screen info
    > visual by itself

Funny you should ask, because this has been implemented :)

The other two suggestions are rather good - but there would be a lot of UI work to do. I'll stick them on a post-it note.

- John.

(The above may not represent the views of empeg :)

#6806 - 29/02/2000 14:03 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    jhr
    new poster

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
    When using the full screen info visual, I always have the scrolling info line turned off as the information therein is redundant. Why not use this last line of the screen for something more useful in this visual. My suggestion is this. There is a comment line in the ID3 tag, that I think also goes into the empeg database. Why not give the option to have this comment line displayed on the last line of the info visual. That would give the possibility to add additional information of your choice as needed.

/jhr

Empeg #317 - 20GB blue
    Mk2 #080000217 - 20+30 GB amber
    spare Mk2a 010101934 10 GB blue

#6807 - 29/02/2000 16:47 Re: menu layout [Re: jhr]
    Henno
    addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
    Why not use this last line of the screen for something more useful ( . .) My suggestion is ( . .) comment line in the ID3 tag

Yes, Please !
    I already have notes on quality / track / artist / recording in this comment field for all of my 1100 tracks. What use is it, if not displayed outside the properties option in emplode? When the comment info is displayed in the scroll field as you suggest, it could be activated in the same manner as the scrolling track info now, so that displaying it becomes fully optional.
    Yes, Please !

Looks like an easy quick hit?

Henno
    # 00120

#6808 - 29/02/2000 17:05 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    altman
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
    The next release has got new info selection bits in it - they've been on the to-do list since, well... august I think, but you now get this:

Visual
    Visual+1 line info
    Full screen visual
    Now & next (upcoming tracks)

...which cycle when you press the CD.MD.CH button. There's also a playlist position (eg: 7/147) indicator, though the shuffle on/off behaviour hasn't changed. Time remaining, etc, will come when we store storing track lengths in the database - there will be an auto-update to add this info to your database in future versions.

Hugo

#6809 - 29/02/2000 17:29 Re: menu layout [Re: altman]
    tfabris
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
    These sound awesome, Hugo. Looking forward to seeing all this, and the new visuals. Settled on names for the visuals yet?

Two important questions:

1) Will there be a mode where the track title is "Flashed" when the song starts (but the visual goes back to full screen while the song is playing)?

2) Has the Kernel changed, or must I get Bobo to re-compile my bootup screen after the next release comes out?

Tony Fabris
    Empeg #144

#6810 - 29/02/2000 17:35 Re: menu layout [Re: jhr]
    dionysus
    veteran

In reply to:nt>

When using the full screen info visual, I always have the scrolling info line turned off as the information therein is redundant. Why not use this last line of the screen for something more useful in this visual.

ok - but if they do that, then I think it'd be necessary to scroll the title if it's longer then what fits in the first line.. with longer song names, I usually look at the scrolling bottom line to get the full song title... Also, often times (especially with i-net downloaded mp3's) there's alot of comments that I don't necessarily WANT to see..
    -mark

#6811 - 29/02/2000 17:56 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    tfabris
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
    Also, often times (especially with i-net downloaded mp3's) there's alot of comments that I don't necessarily WANT to see.

That's why God gave us the Delete key:

"First, shalt thou open thine file in WinAmp. Then shalt thou press Alt-3, no more, no less. Alt-3 shalt be the number thou shalt press, and the number of the pressing shalt be Alt-3. Four shalt thou not press, neither press thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to Alt-3. Five is right out. Once the number Alt-3, being the third number, be pressed, then selectest thou thy comments field, and pressest thine Delete key on thou foe, who, being naught in my sight, shall snuff it."

(Sorry. Just got Holy Grail on DVD... Couldn't help myself...)

Tony Fabris
    Empeg #144

#6812 - 29/02/2000 19:02 Re: menu layout [Re: tfabris]
    dionysus
    veteran

ok i'll do that.. next time I see an unwanted comment in the newly used comment field, I will drive back to my house, prompty find the offending mp3, and remove the comment line:)
    -m
    ps - only I'll use mp3tag studio 1.51:)

#6813 - 29/02/2000 21:39 Re: menu layout [Re: dionysus]
    Lord Bleys

next time I see an unwanted comment in the newly used comment field

Just do what I do -- ignore unwanted comments. It usually works. =]

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#6814 - 01/03/2000 03:20 Re: menu layout [Re: tfabris]
    altman
    carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
    I'm not sure if there have been kernel changes, it's been a while: if there have been, there will be patchfiles in the usual place when the release arrives.

There's not currently a "temporary" track title display, no, though I suspect this will come.

Hugo