Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6887 - 16/03/2000 08:57 Re: Hard Disk Backup Utility [Re: tfabris]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
I wonder which is the correct interpretation?

and this is just the US situation. I remember that under German law, for instance, copying for private, non-commercial use is allowed. One hi-fi magazine even quoted that 'copies given to a friend' were legal there.

In my home country (Netherlands - Holland as some of you would say) a levy on CD-R's was introduced to cover royalty payments for any music copied. So even the disks I use for backing-up computer data, support Lionel Ritchie's family of ex-spouses. I just hope the RIAA isn't going to tax Emma, or Emplode sessions. Think of their increased revenue when they bribe Mike to keep a few bugs in emplode, so we'll again need 10 sessions to copy a single CD across to Emma .

BTW: Emplode data transfer is stable now, also under USB

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#6888 - 16/03/2000 09:17 Re: Hard Disk Backup Utility [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So even the disks I use for backing-up computer data, support Lionel Ritchie's family of ex-spouses.

(Sound of Tony rolling on floor laughing his ass off)

All joking aside, that's the case in the U.S., as well. The AHRA implemented per-unit levies on recording hardware. I dunno, it all sounds like a Mafia protection racket to me.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#6889 - 17/03/2000 11:37 Re: Hard Disk Backup Utility [Re: Elite M3]
Elite M3

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Okay, I was just thinking... What if you put the secondary drive in the machine (larger than the first one), and do a disk to disk copy of all the mp3's? I know that this isn't backup, but if you are afraid of losing your data, and nobody will issue a utility to back it up, then why not buy a new, bigger drive and copy the contents to that. Or even GHOST the data to the drive, and then the EMPEG will work with the bigger drive and not even know that it was changed?

Will that work? Hugo?

#6890 - 18/03/2000 05:07 Re: Hard Disk Backup Utility [Re: Elite M3]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Or even GHOST the data to the drive, and then the EMPEG will work with the bigger drive and not even know that it was changed?

Yes and no.

Plugging your hard disk into a PC and using ghost could cause problems. Current PCs are the latest in a long chain of kludges and therefore do wierd things. If you start with a blank drive on your PC it will probably treat it as LBA so that it will work with steam driven software. This means that the CHS (cylinders, heads and sectors) is rearranged to ensure that DOS programs can access as much of the disk as possible. This is usually a good idea. Unfortunately though the original empeg disk images were created on Linux boxes which didn't need to do this and used sensible values for the CHS. This wouldn't be important apart from the fact that this affects the partition table and every release since beta8b has actually written the partition table in order to create a new swap partition.

If you are a Linux guru then you could probably successfully create a partition table compatible with the empeg upgrade process but under DOS it would certainly be a challenge.

In summary - don't use Ghost. Using the unit itself to do the backup should work very well though.

HTH

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6891 - 21/03/2000 06:03 Re: Hard Disk Backup Utility [Re: deejay]
Lord Bleys

I do what Tony does -- keep a mirror on my PC. It's fine for now...

I agree with Hugo that the RIAA is a HUGE issue which warrants much caution; money tends to win legal battles and the RIAA has a ton of it. Drawn out legal battles tend to tank small companies and good ideas ...

Some call that Darwinism; I call it American lunacy. (And I'm a Yank who grew up with that crap. Bleah.)

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2