Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#69653 - 11/02/2002 10:53 Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0V6 SE install query
gbsallery
new poster

Hi,

I know it's a seemingly over-long subject line, but I've got a query about an install in this particular car... not any Peugeot, not any 406... not even any Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6, but particularly the Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE as manufactured in 1999.

It turns out this car has a wiring system not used by any other manufacturer in the known universe, and I was wondering how to connect to it :-)

Details as follows: the car has a Philips 4050/8050CD head unit, which drives a CD-changer in the boot (no use to me any more, obviously...). It also feeds its output (speaker level, I suspect) via a 10-pin ISO style connector to a JBL amplifier, also in the boot. Question is, how do I hook up the empeg (mark 2) so that it can drive the factory amplifier? As it's a leased car, adding a new amplifier (my preferred choice) isn't an option.

This should be as simple as getting a wiring adapter from the empeg's RCA outputs which will hook into the aforementioned 10-pin connector (the car has ISO power etc., so that shouldn't be a problem). However, I can't find anyone who makes such a connector, nor will anyone tell me the pinouts.

So, any of you (mightily experienced) people care to help?

Thanks,

Gavin

#69654 - 11/02/2002 11:34 Re: Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0V6 SE install query [Re: gbsallery]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If the amplifier in the boot really drives all of the speakers, it might be one of the ones which takes a low-power input. Something between line level and speaker level. A lot of cars do this.

If this is the case, you might be able to find a small booster interface which brings the empeg's line level outputs up to the "almost-speaker-level" outputs the factory amp requires. For instance, here is an example of the installation of just such a device. This particular one doesn't have a Peugot plug, unfortunately, but perhaps there's another manufacturer who makes a Peugot-compatible one?

#69655 - 11/02/2002 11:38 Re: Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0V6 SE install query [Re: gbsallery]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
It turns out this car has a wiring system not used by any other manufacturer in the known universe

But, of course! We are, after all, Peugeot!

It's pretty much impossible to get hands-on experience with late-model Peugeots here in the U.S., so I can offer only a general suggestion....

Perhaps the best $30 I spent on my new car was for the electrical shop manual. thankfully Subaru sold it separately. It was invaluable in performing some alarm system and fog light modifications without guesswork. If Peugeot offers the equivalent, it should show you wire color codes and connector positions for all of the stereo harness/connectors. You still have the challenge of finding connectors to avoid cutting wires in your leased car, but at least you'd have something to go on if you have to rewire a connector yourself. At least some of the connectors are ISO.

I'm guessing you might have meant "line-level" outputs to the JBL amp?

I will now butt out and hope that somebody can offer you more useful information!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#69656 - 12/02/2002 00:28 Re: Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0V6 SE install query [Re: gbsallery]
teemcbee
addict

I'm pretty sure, all peugeot's have the same wiring schemata.
I've got a peugeot 406 and also found a pretty special wiring schemata.
It's an ISO connector but some pins aren't the same as they are on the empeg and usual ISO-connectors.
In the car's handbook I found a documentation about the pins of the connector. Did you already have a look in your peugeot's handbook?
You should have 2 or 3 connectors:
1 iso connector for connecting the head-unit to power, headlight etc
2 connector for the amp (speaker outs from the headunit)
3 connector for the cd-changer

maybe you could find a wiring schemata for your head-unit, then you'll know how to connect the pins.

hope that helps a bit...