Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6948 - 27/03/2000 23:47 bottom button
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I like the idea brought up in another thread about using the bottom bottom (holding down the bottom button) to flip through the info text.. what do you think guys?
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#6949 - 28/03/2000 02:22 Re: bottom button [Re: dionysus]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
I think it was me who suggested holding the bottom button to toggle between 'info visuals' and 'visual visuals', which would have been a shortcut way to get round the 'starting in info mode' using a front panel button. That way, if your preferred 'visual visual' was say 'Anna Vu' and 'Now & Next' was the 'info visual' you used most often, then set these up and hold the bottom button to toggle from one to the other.

It seems that the bottom button is the only one without a 'press & hold' function... maybe Hugo, Rob & Mike have other plans for it we don't know about yet... or maybe it launches the front-mounted sidewinder missiles on the Empeg demo vahicle - I might pay for that upgrade!

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#6950 - 28/03/2000 04:51 Re: bottom button [Re: Geoff]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> maybe it launches the front-mounted sidewinder missiles on the Empeg demo vahicle

It's funny you should say that.. the guy who runs US Support (Zac) has an extremely modified RX7 and yes, it does have front mounted missiles.

OK, so they're only model rockets, but I still wouldn't want to cut him up!

Rob

#6951 - 28/03/2000 05:45 Re: bottom button [Re: rob]
Geoff
enthusiast

I think it was probably his web site that made me think of it... I saw it about a year and a half ago when I started hunting around for in car mp3 players. You don't know the url do you? I'd love to see it again!!

And he runs US support? Talk about a small world

Geoff
---- -------

#6952 - 28/03/2000 06:16 Re: bottom button [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I like the idea brought up in another thread about using the bottom bottom (holding down the bottom button) to flip through the info text.

I second this. Unless somebody can come up with a better function for a press-and-hold on that button, it's an elegant solution.

Hey, Empeg guys...

I assume that, when the new-display-board-with-a-knob becomes available, we'll get different functions for holding the left/right buttons. Such as FF/REW perhaps?

Which brings up another question...

When the Mark 2's ship, and you also have the knob-retrofitted Mark 1's out there, how do you intend to handle the software distribution? Will it be one version that auto-detects the hardware, or three versions, or two versions, or what?

I mean, it would be coolest if there could be just one software version that was backward-compatible with the Mark1/Mark1+ hardware. But I guess that might be asking too much?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#6953 - 28/03/2000 06:55 Re: bottom button [Re: Geoff]
rob
carpal tunnel

Sorry, I don't know his URL but I'll look into it.

I think he has the steerable paintball cannon working as well now :-)

Rob

#6954 - 28/03/2000 07:11 Re: bottom button [Re: Geoff]
rob
carpal tunnel

Got it..

http://www.magicnet.net/~qzar/

Doesn't mention the empeg, although I know he has one in there now.

Rob

#6955 - 28/03/2000 09:45 Re: bottom button [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The mk1 can't autodetect display type - but you can set it in the config.ini file and it doesn't get overwritten by upgrades.

There will be 2 downloads - one for the mk1, one for mk2: this is mainly because of kernel differences, and also because the mk2 download is bigger and it saves us bandwidth :)

Hugo

#6956 - 28/03/2000 12:26 Re: bottom button [Re: rob]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
That is one bad ass car, I have to say. There's a couple of places where one can buy target acquisition and tracking software for video cams. This software is typically used to monitor a motorized video cam feed and track the moving person as the presenter moves around the room, and it feeds back motion instructions back to the camera. Works pretty well for the ones I've tried. I'm sure it's a simple matter to rewire something like that to that gun of his. ugh, better not give him any more ideas ;).

Calvin

Calvin

#6957 - 28/03/2000 12:53 Re: bottom button [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, having a servo-tracked cam/paintgun on my car would be rather cool. And easily abused, too. Driving slow in the fast lane? Won't pull over when I blink my lights at you? Okay, eat hot latex, laser breath.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#6958 - 28/03/2000 14:17 Re: bottom button [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
There will be 2 downloads - one for the mk1, one for mk2

Sounds dangerous Rob: Sure you won't forget mk1's once you have thousandsd of mk2's in the wild?
(I'm a bit worried, but will believe you on your word)

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#6959 - 28/03/2000 14:34 Re: bottom button [Re: Henno]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It was me saying it, not rob :)

We could make it one download, but then each user would download about half-a-meg of stuff that's useless to them!

When we do a release build, we build for all targets at the same time. Releases for both mk1 and mk2 will happen concurrently.

Hugo

#6960 - 28/03/2000 14:57 Re: bottom button [Re: eternalsun]
rob
carpal tunnel

John and Patrick at empeg have developed a kick ass targeting system for another application (which they probably wouldn't appreciate me revealing here!).

I remember Patrick and I showing a previous version of it to Zac a few years ago, when we were designing Q-Zar stuff - I guess it could have made it into the car but at the time we weren't working with x86 systems then.

Rob

#6961 - 28/03/2000 16:03 Re: bottom button [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
A tracking system like that would probably be better used against pedestrians, who needs a tracking system for a large object like a car? :)

The gun should be set to fire based on the music, perhaps a visualization can be made with gun outputs. (obligatory sentence to relate the subject back to the empeg).

Calvin

#6962 - 29/03/2000 01:53 Re: bottom button [Re: eternalsun]
Geoff
enthusiast

(obligatory sentence to relate the subject back to the empeg).

Talking about relating the subject back to the empeg, how about relating it back to the topic It was pretty amazing to see it go so far off-topic after 3 or so posts (although I obviously have to accept the blame for my 'missile' comment!!)

So... what does anyone think about the bottom button idea?

Geoff
---- -------

#6963 - 29/03/2000 09:25 Re: bottom button [Re: dionysus]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

In reply to:

I like the idea brought up in another thread about using the bottom bottom (holding down the bottom button) to flip through the info text.. what do you think guys?

Well, I'd prefer the usage of the held bottom button be assigned to the previous nested menu item wish-list feature. I posted a message about this a few months ago.

For me, the text info default on power up feature isn't a problem, as I can *REALLY* understand the reasons for implementing it, as I've said in jest before on this BBS, "I've almost crashed the car playing with the buttons and looking at pretty graphics". Don't get me wrong, I look at and love the visuals, whenever I can. Normal a toot from behind when I've failed to spot the green traffic light is enough to snap me out of my techo trance!

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#6964 - 29/03/2000 15:55 Re: bottom button [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

When we do a release build, we build for all targets at the same time

Hugo: Question on the extra knob on Mark2 (the one on the right) and Mark1 compatibility:

I suppose the knob it will generate 'remote control' characters in much the same way as the Mark1 from its 4 buttons or from the Kenwood remote. Suppose that BigJohn can build the new knob commands in his wired remote and transfers these via serial into Mark1, would Mark1 interpret them as if they came from the knob and behave as a Mark2 ???

(John, are you listening . . . . )

PS: Congratulations on the new design. Very different from Mark1 and every bit as interesting.

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#6965 - 30/03/2000 04:12 Twiddly Knob [Re: Henno]
Big John

Hi,

In reply to:

Hugo: Question on the extra knob on Mark2 (the one on the right) and Mark1 compatibility:

I suppose the knob it will generate 'remote control' characters in much the same way as the Mark1 from its 4 buttons or from the Kenwood remote. Suppose that BigJohn can build the new knob commands in his wired remote and transfers these via serial into Mark1, would Mark1 interpret them as if they came from the knob and behave as a Mark2 ???

(John, are you listening . . . . )

The knob is probably a rotary encoder with a push switch on the shaft? An interface could be designed that incorporated such a device and assuming serial commands were embedded in the player software to control the same functionality as the MKII knob, then yes. But I still think the Sony RM-X2S stick controller is the way to go for external control of the empeg MK1 & MKII. I'm testing mine in the car at the moment and will be looking at a product next week.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#6966 - 30/03/2000 07:27 Re: Twiddly Knob [Re: Big John]
Henno
addict

I still think the Sony RM-X2S stick controller is the way to go for external control of the empeg MK1 & MKII.

I fully agree. I've tried the Sony stick before: it's a good product. I just wanted to know from the empeg team if future Mark1 software will support the extra commands (if any) that Empeg will introduce with the Mark-2 knob. If it does, your Sony stick may use the extra commands to emulate the Mark-2 knob on Mark-1 models.

Are you still planning a hard-coded device, or can the commands that are generated be changed?

I'm testing mine in the car at the moment and will be looking at a product next week.
Great

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#6967 - 30/03/2000 08:41 Re: Twiddly Knob [Re: Henno]
Big John

Hi,

In reply to:

I still think the Sony RM-X2S stick controller is the way to go for external control of the empeg MK1 & MKII.

I fully agree. I've tried the Sony stick before: it's a good product. I just wanted to know from the empeg team if future Mark1 software will support the extra commands (if any) that Empeg will introduce with the Mark-2 knob. If it does, your Sony stick may use the extra commands to emulate the Mark-2 knob on Mark-1 models.

Are you still planning a hard-coded device, or can the commands that are generated be changed?

The version I have in the car at the moment is hard coded, but I have another version on the drawing board that is configurable. Should cause me less grief if I market the interface!! For day-to-day details of this project look at my Empeg page http://www.bjnet.demon.co.uk/Empeg/Empeg.htm

Regards,