Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#69766 - 12/02/2002 17:53 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: hybrid8]
papinist

Loc: Italy
Oh Bruno, you have explained very well how things are - I'm not able to translate some things so I give up after twenty minutes thinking at it

Moreover, I dont' think someone knows about calzone! It's my favourite 'type' of pizza. The simple one has mozzarella and cooked ham inside, and tomato sauce on top.

For the rest, you're right on mozzarella and simplicity - I have to check well what 'rest of the world' guys intends for 'pepperoni'...

#69767 - 12/02/2002 18:30 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: ]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It's a good thing I can only see you using that logo on one of your posts. Because, guess what? It very easy for me to change that graphic to something else that might not be so flattering next to your name (not that it matters because you obviously don't have the nads to put up any real info anyway). Don't force me to chase down your ISP to file a complaint of misappropriation of copyright and bandwidth theft.

BTW, I don't hate the US. Some of my favourite cities are in the US. NYC & Boston... I even have family in the US. But, feel free to take away with you whatever impression you'd like.

Bruno

#69768 - 13/02/2002 02:53 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: fusto]
DanielWO
new poster

I am a bit of an NYC snob myself, as I usually spend my summers there. You can find decent pizza at almost every corner.
However, I have a deep appreciation for Applewood's in Menlo Park CA. It is a different kind of pizza, like none I have ever encountered (I think the crispy-chewy crust is key to its elusiveness). Absolutely amazing, if you live on the peninsula it is worth the trip - plus they have an amazing selection of great German beers. You might run into me there on my weekly trip with my buddies!

#69769 - 13/02/2002 03:33 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: ]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

It isn't obvious what Yz33d means?

Is it an anagram for 'Total and Complete a55hole' ?

#69770 - 13/02/2002 12:49 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Her sister is much hotter in my opinoin... any good music?

Dannii Minogue now has a hitsingle in Europe. The first one I can think of, though I've known her for longer (don't remember what from though)

The track is called : "Riva Featuring Dannii Minogue - Who Do You Love Now? (Stringer)". I'm sure you can find it on Kazaa or something. I did, and then I bough it on CD (see ? The system works! )
I already like this track better that anything Kylie has ever made. (and I did like "can't get you out of my head" )

#69771 - 13/02/2002 22:30 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: BartDG]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
OK, On behalf of the Australian public, I'm wholeheartedly sorry for Neighours, Home and Away and all the other crappy soaps we've inflicted upon the world.

As far as sheep rustlin', we did that when we got here. To GET her we just stole bread and other daily things.

Kylie has definately gotten better over the years in music and in looks (sorry for her version of 'The Locomotion' though). Danii hasnt quite got the talent in singing and career management even they both went through neighbours.

#69772 - 13/02/2002 23:52 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: muzza]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I thought Danii was in Home and Away ?

#69773 - 14/02/2002 06:40 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: muzza]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Apology accepted.

I have to say that Kylie has done a reasonable job with her musical career, and over the years has turned herself from a talentless wannabe into a creditable artist. I don't own any of her music as it's not my cup of tea, but I'll give credit where it is due...

Danni doesn't have much more than looks going for her. I remember she played at an Aussie-themed ball at the University of Southampton in the early 90s to about 12 people, while Rolf Harris packed the same room later in the evening.

Mind you, that in itself isn't necessarily indication of failure. The Students' Union records mention a band played in the Engineers' Ball of 1969, "....to 20 very bored and drunk students". The band????

Pink Floyd.

#69774 - 14/02/2002 09:15 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: muzza]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
This reminds me of the line in "South Park - The Movie" where the Canadian goverment mentions that they have repeatedly made formal appologies for releasing Bryan Adams to the public. hehe

We DO thank you for Fosters (even though the sludge we get in the States is made in Canada. Canada makes WONDERFUL beer, but I have issues with Fosters being marketed as "Australian") and of course for Elle MacPherson - the love of my junior-high years. Crocodyle Hunter is amusing as well. What else.. the Holden cars are sweet and Natalie Imbruglia isn't too bad too look at lately - as much as I hated her big hit (or more accurately - hated hearing it 20 times a day).

Bitt, I don't have spell check on this machine, so please make this one exception.

#69775 - 14/02/2002 13:37 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: LTJBukem]
Chao

Like I said before, he's an unintentional troll

Best pizza in my opinion-

South Beach (Miami)

Pizza Rustica.

Niiiiiiiice stuff there.

#69776 - 16/02/2002 15:43 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: ninti]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I was just about to write down that warning about not ordering "pepperoni" pizza if you expect what is called pepperoni in the US.
If you want that sort of pizza, order a "salami" pizza.
Prosciutto is actually ham. And the traditional cheese used on pizza is mozarella.

Also, if you don't like hot (hmm, spicy) pizza, you shouldn't order a pizza "diavolo" either (my favorite, at least when eaten at my favorite pizzeria: tomatoe, ham, salami/pepperoni, mushroom and pepperoni/peppers and of course mozarella).

Anyway, almost any (good) pizzeria will comply with your wishes for toppings as long as they have the required ingredients.

On a more historical note: The first pizza was _not_ created by an italian, but by some german speaking chef (don't remember wether he was from austria or bavaria) that wanted to mimik the italian national flag to some extend, when cooking for an italian statesman. The white dough (or the mozarella cheese, depending on the historical source) , the red tomatoes and the green herbs (actually only basil and, according to some sources: parsley). So yes, todays Pizza Magheritta is the closest you get to the original pizza.

cu,
sven

#69777 - 18/02/2002 06:26 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: genixia]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
And the Iron Maiden gig at the Ayr Pavilion (The Piv) sometime in the mid eighties I think. Not quite a stadium:)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#69778 - 18/02/2002 15:39 Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Oh Yeah. Sorry about Fosters. It's Australia's largest exported beer. Coz we won't drink it here. If you want to insult an Aussie overseas, buy them a slab of Fosters. Sorry. We'd much prefer a local brew anytime.

Croc Hunter has only just started playing over here. Can't stand the show myself. The guy is far too intense for his own good. Yes, the MacPhersons are ours, all ours. Keep off.

Sorry to refugees trying to come to our country. You actually would be better off where you are.

#69779 - 18/02/2002 20:55 Re: international relations [Re: muzza]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Your beer story reminds me of Mexican Corona beer. It seems everyone in the US thinks this stuff is gold. It is actually the cheapest, worst beer in Mexico. The Mexicans won't drink it. It just amazes me how many people drink this swill just because it remind them of spring break or becuase they sponsor volley ball games! I hate that stuff! I'd rather drink Dos Equis or something. Of course... I don't trust any beer that comes in a clear bottle anyway. Except for New Castle. I really dig that beer for some reason. Maybe I just prefer a beer that you can't see through... whether it be the fault of the bottle or beer, I don't care! Most American beer is so bad that we have to drink it so cold that ice almost forms.

We were lucky to have a micro beer movement about 10 years ago in the US that resulted in scores of local pubs.

Anybody remember Pfeiffer beer? check my site (very old and not updated) www.PFeifferbeer.com

#69780 - 19/02/2002 00:44 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
(echoes of the standard dialogue: "Tiene usted Dos Equis obscura?"..."No, senor. Solamante Corona o Pacifico")

It is actually the cheapest, worst beer in Mexico.

Oh, with Sol and Pacifico in the running, I'd say it's a three-way tie.

The Mexicans won't drink it.

Why, that's not so. Like Bud, some folks like it. Go figure. Plus, like Bud, Corona and Sol distributors can have some bars and beachfront bars and restaurants locked up. It's Corona or ...or something.

Plus, light, inconsequential pilsner has its place if drunk very cold in a very hot place. Hell, I spent a hot week on a boat in the Bahamas drinking *Busch* of all things, yet I was quite happy. It was the right tool for the job.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#69781 - 19/02/2002 03:59 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: jimhogan]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Mmm - can't beat a VB in Australia, or a Paulaner in Munich.
Forget all the hyped marketing-led brands and go for something like an Orkney Dark Island, for hand to hand combat, or Skullsplitter Ale, which is an ale for laying down and avoiding.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#69782 - 19/02/2002 09:12 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Jim,

Couldn't agree with you more on that. There certainly is a time and a place for a light Pilsner. I prefer dark, heavy beers, but usually only in the winter. Then I switch to Rolling Rock or something .

What do you mean "locked up"?

There is no such thing as the perfect beer. Only the perfect beer for that situation. Thank God we have so many options!

#69783 - 19/02/2002 09:49 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I prefer dark, heavy beers, but usually only in the winter.

Yes, the last of this year's Sierra Nevada Celebration disappeared from the shelves at the end of January, but a few six-packs of Pyramid Snow Cap are hanging on...

What do you mean "locked up"?

In the U.S. you certainly see places like airport bars, franchise restaurants, and even neighborhood restaurants with a limited number of taps and cooler space where the choices are Bud and Bud Light (Oh, and maybe Killians for the "dark beer!!). Beer distributors still market pretty aggressively, but I don't know if they're allowed by to negotiate "exclusive" contracts the way they used to (I'll lock in a great discount on Angst Lager, so long as it's the only beer you serve).

In Mexico (and some trips to Puerto Vallarta are my only recent experience) I don't know what the trade laws are like, but it sure looks like they allow exclusives or at least serious promotional deals. I've had that "Dos Equis obscura" conversation 30 or 40 times at various beach bars where Sol or Corona banners and sun umbrellas are flying and where the only beers available are what's on the umbrellas.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#69784 - 19/02/2002 13:06 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mexicans won't drink Corona because they know that the Mexicans bottling it are pissing in it. At least that's what a Mexican told me.

#69785 - 19/02/2002 13:18 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: ]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Even if thats not true, It sure smells like it, Corona to me is worst than the Beast

#69786 - 19/02/2002 13:53 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: dodgecowboy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

There are many excellent Mexican beers out there. I just don't care for Coronna. The "pissing in the bottle" sounds like a story I would have clung to and passed along when I was in middle school. I'll take a Dos Equis at an authentic Mexican restaurant any day please (with a meal to match!)!

#69787 - 19/02/2002 13:55 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Dos Equis is very good indeed, and if you ever get the chance try a Modelo Especial, its very smooth in its self.

#69788 - 19/02/2002 14:35 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: dodgecowboy]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Is that why you have to cover up the taste with a lime??????

LOL

Calvin

#69789 - 19/02/2002 16:58 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: papinist]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Pepperoni, in the US, are not what we call here "peperoni" (which are "Peppers" in english). They are "salame piccante" or just "salame" in Italy. I guess for some reason "peperoni" turned into "pepperoni" in the us and ended up meaning something totally different, or maybe that comes from a different word or language. As a matter of fact, Stefano, if you're in the US and ask for a pepperoni pizza you get una pizza al salame piccante Dont' complain and pay more attention to language differences ;D
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#69790 - 19/02/2002 22:09 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: Taym]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a chinese beer once. Very sweet and strong.

#69791 - 19/02/2002 22:35 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

American-Italian Pepperoni is not exactly Salame Picante though (unless you're thinking of a very specific type, and not just Hot Salami which encompases many varieties). It's not hot or overly-spicy (not as indicated by the normal usage of "Picante" anyway). It's not the same thing as putting some Genoa (Genovese, Venetian, etc..) Salami on a Pizza. American Pepperoni is a cured sausage (salsiccia, but not cruda - it's thin diameter compared to a Salame). Similar, but not anywhere near as good as, Portuguese chouriço and Spanish chorizo (Mexican too, but there is nothing better, anywhere, than Portuguese). Chorizo can be mild or spicy and made more ways than I can count (there are a few staple and very well known varieties). I guess it's slightly similar to some forms of salami, but not any good ones.

And a note about something way back in the thread... Proscuitto vs. "Ham." They're both the same part of the pig. As a matter of fact, using only the single word in Italian, it means the same thing. That is, what is called Prosciutto in Italy, in the US is HAM. In the US what will be called "Proscuitto" is actually "Prosciutto Crudo" (as in Raw Ham). It is cured/smoked, not cooked. It's dark and you can always see the fat when you slice it. "Ham" as in the cold-cut meat, is cooked ham - that's why it's pink. In some other languages the distinction is easier: For example in Portuguese you have Presunto and Fiambre (Prosciutto Crudo & Prosciutto, aka Prosciutto and Ham). BTW, the best Prosciutto in the world, again, Italian and Portuguese. Accept no substitutes. The same can probably be said for Ham too.

Oh, and ham in any way, shape or form, sucks on Pizza by comparison to all sorts of other good things you can put on it.

Bruno

#69792 - 19/02/2002 22:36 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: eternalsun]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

If you think Corona is bad, try a Labatt Blue sometime. It's not as revolting as a Bud, but it's pretty sick garbage.

Bruno

#69793 - 19/02/2002 22:44 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I had a chinese beer once. Very sweet and strong.

And in which state or country did this prosecutable misdemeanor offense occur?

#69794 - 19/02/2002 22:45 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Canada is just a 30 minute drive from me. The beer there is WAY differant than what gets exported to us. Bastards! hehe j/k My favorite has been something called "Keiths" (i think) that I got at a small pub (Kildare House sp?). My friend keeps insisting it is local Canadian brew, but I insist it is Irish. It is an ale I believe. The place was weird too. It was like an Irish style pub, but filled with Scotts.

As far as mainstream beer, I like Molson Canadian. I asked for a "Molson Canadian" at a Windsor bar (Sitting Bull), and the guy made fun of me. "You mean a Canadian?!" he kept saying. I wouldn't blame most Windsorites for hating Detroit area Americans though. I swear most of us can be assholes when we visit (for the 19 year old drinking requirement). I'm glad I wasn't a part of that!

#69795 - 19/02/2002 22:47 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Tony, you crack me up!

33: I think most Chinese beer is made from rice. I think I've only seen it around here in these giant cans! In contrast, most American beer uses a lot of corn as an adjunct or filler.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >