Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#69796 - 19/02/2002 23:10 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
You're going to get strange looks if you use the name of the brewer when asking for anything from Molson or Labatt. You ask just for a "Canadian" or a "Blue" (well, again, you actually should never "ask" for a "blue" )

Keiths is Canadian as far as I know. It's probably Alexander Keith's. It's from Nova Scotia. I've never tried it. I'll give it a try the next time I have beer.

I was never a big beer drinker - can't stand carbonation. But I'm getting used to it. Mainly because it was a lot easier to dance with a beer bottle in hand than with a mixed drink or a glass of wine. But I definitely prefer draught - you just have to drink enough of it so it doesn't slosh out of the glass while you dance.

I had a nice combo while in SF at an Irish pub. It was a Cider with Guiness on top. They didn't mix (different densities - very cool, like an enormous B52). Tipping it back, the Guiness would stay on top, so you'd still be drinking both at once. Can't remember what the combo is called.

Quebec has some very good beer too (I quite like La Fin Du Monde - 9%). And obviously you can get plenty of good stuff here in Ontario as well - especially if you stay away from Labatt and Molson commercial brands. Take a look at www.beer.com and use their beer finder.

Bruno

#69797 - 19/02/2002 23:14 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I just thought that if I asked for a Canadian in Canada it'd be like asking for a person or something. hehe

The Keiths I drank was on tap and because of this, had very little carbonation. I agree, I don't like too much carbonation. Just enough to give it a good head.

#69798 - 19/02/2002 23:17 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: hybrid8]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
You're going to get strange looks...

I get strange looks no matter how I ask for a beer. Well, I just get a lot of strange looks...

I had a nice combo while in SF at an Irish pub. It was a Cider with Guiness on top. They didn't mix (different densities - very cool, like an enormous B52).

That would be a variation on a "Black and Tan" - essentially, some Guiness-like substance laid in on top of whatever lighter draught that comes to hand. Very pretty. And it can be tasty!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#69799 - 20/02/2002 02:11 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Yes, there are dozens of different salami piccanti (Plural.Singular is "salamE piccantE". Not to be picky, just thought ppl in here might be interested in proper spelling and pronunciation ), you're right. However, I would say that what I tasted in the US as "pepperoni" falls in that large category. I actually tasted US pepperoni several times in several places, both east and west coast , but I admit I do not know exactly what it is and it may very well be classified as a "salsiccia", technically , which, for those who don't know, is slightly different from salame. Consider, however, that the boundary between salsiccia a and salame does not really exists, since it varies from region to region within Italy itself, and both salame and salsiccia are names that include a very large variety of different things.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#69800 - 20/02/2002 04:11 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: hybrid8]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
"I was never a big beer drinker - can't stand carbonation"

but proper beer has no carbonation It's only the new fangled ones which do. The traditional beers had a nozzle on the hand puller which allowed air in to produce a head.

No don't worry, I'm not getting on my real ale soapbox - in general I slightly prefer the lager beers.

Talking of enormous B52's, a Canadian (person not beer) I used to work with introduced me to the Ghostbuster - a double B52 in a small glass depthcharged into a pint containing triple bourbon and coke. Obviously has to be downed in one gulp before curdling ensues
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#69801 - 20/02/2002 09:27 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: hybrid8]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
I had a nice combo while in SF at an Irish pub. It was a Cider with Guiness on top. They didn't mix (different densities - very cool, like an enormous B52). Tipping it back, the Guiness would stay on top, so you'd still be drinking both at once. Can't remember what the combo is called.

'round here, that's referred to as a "black velvet". here's the rundown on half/half combos:

black 'n tan: guiness and bass
half 'n half: guiness and harp
black velvet: guiness and cider
snakebite: harp and cider
bassbite: bass and cider

more folks seem to order black 'n tans, half 'n half, or snakebites than the others.

--dan.

#69802 - 20/02/2002 10:07 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
sancho
journeyman

In reply to:

I think most Chinese beer is made from rice.<snip> In contrast, most American beer uses a lot of corn as an adjunct or filler.

many american "beers" use rice as an adjunct as well...

in fact, i believe anheuser-busch is america's largest single consumer of rice...
--
sancho

#69803 - 20/02/2002 14:10 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    BTW, the best Prosciutto in the world, again, Italian and Portuguese. Accept no substitutes. The same can probably be said for Ham too.
Hey! I take exception with that. I cannot get through a whole week without my dosage of salt and fat known as country ham. This is one of the many reasons I could never move away from the south. No Bojangle's, Hardee's, or Biscuitville at which to get a quick fix. Can you even get country hams in other parts of the country at grocery stores? They might be called Virginia Hams or Smithfield Hams.

#69804 - 20/02/2002 14:13 Corona rocks, dude! Re: international relations [Re: djc]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
As traditionally Black & Tan is Guiness and Bass, there are a few companies I have noticed that make a black and tan and bottle it. The only one I have tried is the one from Michelob and well as figured it just doesn't stand up to it,

#69805 - 20/02/2002 16:06 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was at a chinese restaurant in the US. The owners were too nice to ask to see my ID.

#69806 - 24/02/2002 16:36 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: hybrid8]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Chorizo (mexican blood sausage) can be very, very good or very bad. I wandered around Tijuana eating that stuff. I can't think of it on a pizza though. With eggs, or in a burrito, mmmmm!! yum!

Calvin

#69807 - 24/02/2002 18:02 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: eternalsun]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The Spanish Chorizo I have always had is not a blood sausage, just smoked pork an spices. It gets it's color by all the paprika they use to make it. I make a mean Chorizo, vegetable and bean stew.

The range of Chorizo available in Spain is staggering, I nearly fainted when I came across the 4 metre long bay dedicated to Choriza in a large supermarket in Huelva...

#69808 - 25/02/2002 12:29 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: andy]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Sounds delicious!

I'll have to visit Spain at some point. :-D

Calvin

#69809 - 03/03/2002 09:00 Re: Italian Pizza vs. The World [Re: hybrid8]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
BTW, the best Prosciutto in the world, again, Italian and Portuguese. Accept no substitutes. The same can probably be said for Ham too.

Ah, I beg to differ! Prosciutto from Dalmatinska Zagora (a mountainous part of Croatia, just behind the first Adriatic coastal mountain range) can be easily compared to that from, say, Parma (though it is a bit different; that from Istria is almost identical). The meat is either dry-salted of kept in brine (regional difference), pressed, briefly smoked in *cold* smoke from several kinds of wood and aromatic herbs, and, most importantly, dried in bora, a cold, dry wind. During clear, sunny winter days with strong bora one can see those hams hanging from the trees.

In Slavonia (flat region neighbouring Hungary) they make excellent smoked ham. It can either be briefly boiled or, much better, coated in bread dough and baked. We are also good with Salame Picante-like sausages (as are, say, Hungarians), but Slavonian 'kulen' is unique. The only ingredients are best pork (essentially ham), salt, paprika and garlic, and it is stuffed exclusively in pork appendix. A kilogram easily fetches $30-$40 at the site of manufacture. Mmmm, time to raid the fridge!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4