Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#70063 - 12/02/2002 00:29 Wired Track Advance Modification
Neo_to_Rio
journeyman

Loc: Silicon Valley
While I considered adding a wireless remote to the steering wheel, most of the time I listen in random mode and I hardly ever use any control but track advance/fast forward.

I decided to solder a wire to the right pushbutton switch on the Empeg. A contact to ground activates it. On my car, the headlight washer switch on my steering column stalk isn't used and makes a convenient track advance/fast scan switch. Since it switches to +12V, I added a small relay (with a diode clamp across it's coils) inside the Empeg http://home.attbi.com/~barrybronson/ta.jpg The relay contacts are wired across the right pushbutton switch.

To get the relay control signal outside the Empeg chassis, I use the unused mute wire. (The manual says it can deal with a 12V signal). I just pushed a green wire going to the relay coil into the second position on the Empeg docking connector and wired the Empeg mute wire on the harness to my headlight washer switch.

Any unused, seldom used, or additional switch would work. If you wire directly to the Empeg pushbutton switch (not through a relay), you may want to add a 5V zener across the Empeg switch to provide transient protection.

Something else to think about:
Some GM luxury cars from the 50's had foot switches that would scan to the next station on their "Wonder Bar" radios. This would provide total hands-free remote control of one or more functions.

Attachments
68202-http://home.attbi.com/~barrybronson/BBTest/Track-advance.jpg (83 downloads)

#70064 - 12/02/2002 00:38 Re: Wired Track Advance Modification [Re: Neo_to_Rio]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
attachment no worky. I wanna see!

#70065 - 12/02/2002 00:49 Re: Wired Track Advance Modification [Re: loren]
Neo_to_Rio
journeyman

Loc: Silicon Valley
Sorry. There's something about my attachment (too long a name?) that isn't working. The link to the same image in the text should work. I couldn't figure out how to modify the attachment while in the edit mode

#70066 - 12/02/2002 00:58 Re: Wired Track Advance Modification [Re: Neo_to_Rio]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You're supposed to upload a file for the attachments, not give a URL.