Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7032 - 10/04/2000 01:28 LED in the sled
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
How about a small red LED mounted inside the dash sled so we can accurately mate-up and dock the empeg in the dark?

It would also serve to identify the gaping hole in the dash to potential thieves -- they could see it was empty.

Customers could hook up the "led wire" to battery (always on) or to the dash lights (on at night) or to their existing security systenm to flash it

--> Get Paid
to Surf the Web!

#7033 - 10/04/2000 13:25 Re: LED in the sled [Re: Mark Miller]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
That's a cool idea! When I get my empeg I'm going to get a green tube of neon and mount it in the rear to create a diffuse alien glow coming out of there.

kidding,
Calvin

#7034 - 11/04/2000 20:21 Re: LED in the sled [Re: Mark Miller]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I think the 'gaping hole in the dash' is a far better theft deterrent than anything you could do with detachable face plates, hardware locks, or software codes. Especially since the unit is pretty much designed to be pulled out of its sled and the new front panel will make it look more like a car audio component and less like an anonymous piece of fascia.

Otherwise, try using the roof light.

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#7035 - 17/04/2000 11:39 Re: LED in the sled [Re: Mark Miller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just noticed in my new Honda that the in-dash lighting for the heater control "leaks" a little bit back into the dash cavity. Since the Empeg sled isn't completely solid (there are gaps in the sleeve), the in-dash lighting dimly illuminates the interior of the sleeve when I activate the car's headlights.

So I get this without needing any special wiring or an extra LED. Pretty cool.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144