Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72349 - 16/02/2002 14:05 Problems Installing In '95 Avalon
damone
stranger

I decided to try and install the empeg myself, and I have never done any work like this before. Anyway, I got the dash piece off and then took off 4 screws which allowed me to take out the factory stereo and the empty tray underneath it. It appears that the tray is also DIN size.

So I pull out the brackets and factory stereo and tray and take out some screws. The HU comes out fine, but the empeg tray does not fit at all. I think I'm really screwed here, because the empeg metal tray is about 3-4mm wider than the brackets. I can't really bend the brackets to fit around the tray because then they won't screw back into the damn dashboard. I really have to use these brackets too because otherwise there's just a huge gaping hole in the dash and it would be very difficult to install anything in there with support.

Also, the empeg tray does not have any screw holes in the sides, so how would you normally secure it in place?

I'm really stuck on this part, and I don't want to have to take it to a stereo place because the only good one around here charges too much.

#72350 - 16/02/2002 14:15 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Folks have had similar issues on a number of (mostly Japanese, I think) cars with those DIN brackets and have worked around it in a number of ways:

- bending the brackets a bit
- widening the horizontal axis of the scew holes on the brackets
- drilling holes in the sled/brackets so the sled can be attached to the brackets with small screws/bolts

If you search Installation for combinations Subaru/WRX/Impreza, you'll find at least 3 examples from Brad (SE_Sport_Driver), myself, and most recently Nick, that may help. I think there have also been some double-DIN Honda installs with similar issues.

I don't know that there's any pat answer as to what you need to do, but I'd guess with judicious application of drills, files and such, it'll work.

Hope that helps a little!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#72351 - 16/02/2002 15:07 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: jimhogan]
damone
stranger

I searched around and saw all of those posts before I made my post, but still, my car is funky as hell because in the same area that the stereo goes, there is also a box that some of the air conditioner controls are located, so it gets in the way with screws and such, because it has to attach to the same brackets as the stereo, plus the stupid plastic empty tray that goes underneath the stereo.

If I start cutting I'd have to cut up the dashboard plastic that goes around the stereo, and it would look like crap. And I hate to think of what I would have to do when I go to sell the car.

#72352 - 16/02/2002 21:17 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

my car is funky as hell because in the same area that the stereo goes...

Sounds downright unenviable! Yeah, many of us have had to chop up bezels and such, but at least were starting with 2 DINs worth of space. In your shoes I would probably sit in the car and stare at the dashboard for 3-4 days hoping that inspiration would land on my forehead.

FWIW, I'd guess that a lot of folks would be looking at buying some new dash pieces if they sold their cars (never!!)

Best of luck. Post some pics!

#72353 - 16/02/2002 21:49 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: jimhogan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I see what he's saying by looking at thses pics of the Avalon dash. Crutchfield has a kit for this car. You do not have to buy a stereo from them to get the kit. They will happily sell it to you for around $30 if my memory serves me correct. You should either get the Empeg professionally installed or, at the very least, contact Crutchfield.

#72354 - 17/02/2002 01:40 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: robricc]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I see what you mean now, too. Very challenging to mak it look like "original", too, given the way those climate controls are right up against the factory radio. I'd still say it's doable, but I appreciate you challenge a bit more...

#72355 - 17/02/2002 03:17 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: robricc]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Ouch, that doesn't look fun...

When I saw the first post I thought of the two separate brackets which mounts to each side of the HU that are more common - and have been solved before.

Wonder if even Crutchfield has something that would allow you to mount a pull-out. Normally the HU itself is a few millimeters smaller than the DIN opening, as you normally (non pull-out/non bracket mount) mount a sleeve in the DIN opening (same way as the empeg cradle) through which the HU slides and locks into. If they've designed the entire block around the size of the actual HU without the sleeve you may be S.O.L. Still, you might be able to rework the brackets to allow more space between them, but I doubt it'd be easy. You'd probably also have to cut into the trim piece... I'd have the "good stereo place" mentioned take a look and see if they have an opinion if/how they could do it.

/Michael

#72356 - 17/02/2002 11:15 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: mtempsch]
damone
stranger

Actually I think I know what I'm going to do now. I'll have to cut away the right side of the dash a little bit, but it should look OK, although I'm going to be screwed when I go to sell the car, oh well hehe.

I decided that I would just remove the bottom plastic tray completely and mount the empeg tray right in the middle. I can get some plastic and make 2 strips, one on top and the other on bottom. I have to do this because otherwise the empeg tall is also too tall and I would have to cut into the top of the dash plastic and I wouldn't have the good screw holes. There's also a large and strong metal pipe directly behind where the empeg will go and I can use the screw hole in the back of the tray and connect that to a piece of backstrapping that will go around the pipe. Now I just have to figure out how to secure the right side of the tray

#72357 - 17/02/2002 11:29 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are you sure? Did you check with install shops (such as Crutchfield) to see if they have an install kit that doesn't require cutting? Make sure you do this before resorting to cutting your dash.

#72358 - 17/02/2002 11:48 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: tfabris]
damone
stranger

I'm pretty sure that I cannot use any kind of install kit. It just wouldn't help me, because the left bracket cannot be moves over since the A/C controls are right there, and when I put the empeg tray right up against it, it still hits the dashboard plastic on the right side, so I have to cut it. An install kit just won't do me any good.

I attatched a really high res picture that'll probably explain it well. Check it out

Attachments
70126-empeg.jpg (104 downloads)

#72359 - 17/02/2002 12:28 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Hehe, love the piccie!

Looks like the engineers that designed the dash never though anyone would ever want to mount a pullout in there, and really crammed everything in right next to the HU... You'd have the very same problem with any other pull-out unit or any unit that didn't have the side mounting holes and instead relied on a sleeve.

Regarding your wiring issues, you might want to give the Toyota Talk board a try,
found this post there. And/or the alt.autos.toyota usenet news group.

/Michael

#72360 - 17/02/2002 12:34 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: mtempsch]
damone
stranger

Well it looks like I might as well buy a new car instead of deal with this [censored]. This is ridiculous, I just HAVE to have the car with the hardest stereo install ever!

#72361 - 17/02/2002 12:49 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Don't panic, and don't automatically assume it can't be done without cutting. Considering the age of your car, there must have been scores of people who have had to figure out how to put aftermarket stereos into that car. Before cutting your dash, investigate more and see if you can't find an example of installing aftermarket stereos into that car. Maybe someone's come up with something very clever.

#72362 - 17/02/2002 12:54 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

I found some avalon dash pictures at cardomain.com. Looks like those installs have a double-din steup, you have plenty of room! Just find the right kit.

Tom

#72363 - 17/02/2002 13:04 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: charcoalgray99]
damone
stranger

You don't understand though, and as I have said in my other posts, the empeg tray is much too wide to fit inside of the dashboard. It will go into the car actually with a little force, but the plastic dash piece that goes over the whole thing will not fit around the empeg, it simply is too wide to fit without cutting.

#72364 - 17/02/2002 14:48 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Have it professionally installed. Any installer who is worth his weight will not have any problems.

Tom

#72365 - 17/02/2002 18:37 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: charcoalgray99]
damone
stranger

It would also cost me much more money than I currently have or want to spend. It would be a lot of custom work to get that in there and secure it properly.

I hate to give up on this, as I would like to do it right myself, but I might just have to. I know a friend that does a lot of custom work in cars and such, so I've got to ask him.

#72366 - 17/02/2002 23:01 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
smitty225
new poster

Loc: Maryland
I'd move the A/C controls, and then come up with some kind of a custom bezel for the empeg. The A/C control wires could be extended. Then stick the module in the glove compartment. If/when you sell the car, it would be easy to put back together.

#72367 - 18/02/2002 02:02 Re: Problems Installing In '95 Avalon [Re: damone]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

Don't give up. Anything can be done depending on how much time/talent/money you put into it. Definitely talk to your friend and get as many ideas as possible.

Also stop by your Toyota dealership and find out how much your dash bezel costs. That will let you know what your looking at if you mess it up, or want to return it to stock before you sell it.

Tom